Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What will erase and sync do?

Default What will erase and sync do?
    Yes this might be a stupid question but I want to transfer the songs in my itunes library to my iphone and when I click to manually manage songs it says that it must erase and sync them. So I jailbroke a few days ago and spent alot of time customizing and getting stuff so will all that be deleted? Or does it just erase legit apps and stuff? Thanks

as far as I know, it will only erase music and videos, cause that's the things you chose to manage manually.

Thanks

It'll erase all the songs, videos, etc. from your iPhone (anything you didn't buy with your iTunes account) and then put the music from the computer into your iPhone.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

etc.? Like everything? Like cydia and my wallpapers and psx ROMs? So it will restore my iphone to completely empty if there's nothing in my itunes?

Thanks

I don't think so. I think it'll just erase the stuff that gets synced with iTunes
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

eesh im scared to do it... ive spent like 2 days configuring my phone the way i want it.

Thanks

I need the same answer I think.
    My itunes decided it would blank itself again, so I had to re-import all my music and apps. Now it wants to "erase and sync" my iphone which is on software version 3.01. Will it erase cydia, I really dont want to have to jailbreak it again.
    I also have a itouch which it recognises and doesnt want to erase.
    I wouldent bother but i use it for audiobooks and the current one is coming to an end.

Thanks in advance

I'm in pretty much the same boat. My PC died, all 5 hard disks, motherboard, everything

Got new PC up and running, trying to copy new music onto iPhone and Itunes is saying "The iPhone is synced with another iTunes library". I managed to get all the music of iPhone back onto PC and into Itunes.

It is currently syncing all apps onto my hard drive.

If I sync with new library, will the Jailbreak be gone? Will Cydia still be there?

I went ahead and did this.

Only thing that was erased was music and apps fom App store. App store apps were copied back to new iTunes, then re-synched. Just lost all data within the Apps.

Email/Calander/Setting & Cydia and Cydia apps all stayed on phone
    Last edited by yibbida; 09-29-2009 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I believe it only erases the items that you have checked in iTunes to sync that were previously synced to another pc. I run into this a lot between work and home. I sync my notes and bookmarks from work and apps, music & ringtones at home. If I try to install a ringtone from itunes at work, I will get that message because I do that from home and it will remove the existing ringtones and replace them with the ones from work. Uncheck items in iTunes that you don't want deleted from your phone and you should be fine. Say you want to erase/sync music, but not apps, uncheck sync apps and you should be fine. I wouldn't swear that this is how it works, but that seems to be how it works for me. Of course you will right click your iphone name in iTunes and select "Back Up" first! Just in case... If your phone is already restored, jailbroken and working your Cydia and Jailbreak will be fine.

Default looking for an answer!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by yibbida View Post
    I'm in pretty much the same boat. My PC died, all 5 hard disks, motherboard, everything

Got new PC up and running, trying to copy new music onto iPhone and Itunes is saying "The iPhone is synced with another iTunes library". I managed to get all the music of iPhone back onto PC and into Itunes.

It is currently syncing all apps onto my hard drive.

If I sync with new library, will the Jailbreak be gone? Will Cydia still be there?

I went ahead and did this.

Only thing that was erased was music and apps fom App store. App store apps were copied back to new iTunes, then re-synched. Just lost all data within the Apps.

Email/Calander/Setting & Cydia and Cydia apps all stayed on phone
    s0o0 i been reading all about this situation and i have seen plenty of vids or sites about just copying certain files from my old computer..well that hasnt worked at all...it still comes up "erase and sync"..i just got a new computer with windows 7 all i wana do is sync like normal to itunes.. .i have a jailbroken iphone 4 with a lot of tweaks sum cydia apps and themes...now what i got from this forum so far is that as long as what i have my phone is transferred in itunes b4 i sync i should b fine? is that right? u say it doesnt effect the jail break but what about my folders and icon layout? does it change that? ...what about my contacts?..plus i have 140 gigs of music on my external harddrive and 18 gigs of music on my phone...so am i goin to have to hunt and find every song allllll over again after i do this??... sorry for the 40 thousand questions but i really wana what exactly is goin to happen.... if anyone can help me that would b awesome.. thanks