View Poll Results: What is the Best GPS App??

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Navigon

26 66.67%
  • G-Map

1 2.56%
  • Sygic

8 20.51%
  • Other(State in post)

4 10.26%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Navigon/G-Map/Sygic Best GPS App??

TomTom FTW!!!! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesteve View Post
    Copilot has always lack commitment to customers in Australia. Hence it ranks very low in my opinion.

I've no loyalty to any brand. Nobody pays me to say nice things about their product. I don't get free software from anyone to put in good words on their behalf. TomTom is the most expensive of all the iPhone GPS so far, but I have no hesitation getting it because I want the best.
    Co Pilot is based in Europe and the USA and certainly here in the UK is streets ahead of TomTom. It may be defferent in Australia.

I have bought CoPilot for the iPhone with my own money as I did the very first version of CoPilot I bought 5 years ago.
    Most other versions of CoPilot I did, indeed, receive free as I beta tested it for them, not to say good things about the software. If I didn't believe it was the best I wouldn't say so, in fact, I wouldn't beta test for them. I believed ToTom was better I would beta test for them instead.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Confucious,

Yes, the map quality of that country would have a big impact on the overall acceptability of the GPS. However, I actually expect TeleAtlas to be better than Navteq in Europe including UK (in general) and Navteq to be better than TeleAtlas in US (in General).

I've used Copilot, iGO, Garmin, Mapking, Navigon, Sygic, Tom Tom and a few others (I don't mention those usually because they are so poorly rated that I removed them within a day of using them. Over the years my "best" software changes.

You would remember in the Athena forum I was a iGO diehard, right? There was a brief period during which it was actually better than TomTom version 6. When TomTOm 7 came along, iGO actually went backward in terms of useability, so TomTom replaced it and had been my favourite for a long time.

With iPhone, I only have three choices in Australia: Sygic, Navigon, and TomTom. I really like Sygic's functions and features (only thing missing is the contact database integration), but I really hate a software not using the standard iPhone keyboard and standard multitouch UI. Hence, I bought Navigon and now TomTom.

At this point in time, I rank the available iPhone software for Australia to be Sygic, TomTom, then Navigon. This is despite Sygic's inferior UI.

If I travel to South East Asia, Sygic is the only choice as none of the more established brand has maps for those region. In Malaysia, even Sygic is terrible as its address format is completely different from that used in Kuala Lumpur. Alternatively I would use my winmo Garmin and Mapking still, although I really hate to bring along more devices. Mapking is still the best GPS in Asia, with no credible competition. Garmin comes close, but not anyone else. So, as you can see, the "best" software depends on which country we're buying it for. One size does'nt fit all.

If Copilot is released in Australia, I'd definitely give it a serious consideration, since none of the three really fully meet my expectations still. I don't want to assume that just because I did'nt like my previous Copilot experience then this will automatically be bad.
    Last edited by eaglesteve; 08-18-2009 at 01:56 AM.

Thanks

... I don't think I want to read all that...

Today (well yesterday) Navigon practically saved my life.. After taking 10 minutes to find a GPS signal that is.
    But I'm glad I had it.. Getting lost in Yosemite because you listened to a crazy garmin navigator is not fun.
    My mom is so afraid of mountains now. We live in the heights and she got scared to go up our street.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I like CoPilot
    If I have helped you please hit the Thanks button.

I used Navigon for a week on my trip to DC and found that I liked my old TomTom (on my winmo Tilt) 10 times better. It was very hard to know for sure when I needed to turn and the GPS was slow to update. I just got TomTom and I'm hoping that it is a lot more accurate and updates a lot quicker. Most the time on Navigon I would "think" that I'm supposed to turn next, only to find out that I was supposed to turn the last street back. I used it for a good 15-20 miles each day - it just lags when updating and it's very frustrating. Visually I do like it better than TomTom but I could care less about how it looks, as long as it gets me there accurately.

Just my 2 cents.
    (1st post ftw! )

Thanks

Navigon is definately the best.
    Pro's:
    1. It has the best designed user interface
    2. Supports wide screen.
    3. Has the best Lane assist and reality view for all interstate highways.
    4. You can navigate by Contacts
    5. You can now do multiroute destinations using the route feature in v1.1.0.
    6. Fades out your ipod music when a turn instruction is spoken.
    7. The Navteq maps are more accurate than TomTom's TeleAtlas maps in the USA.
    8. Pronouces Interstate highways and highways, like I91 south and RT10.
    9. Informs you if the highway exit is on the left or right.
    10. Informs you if your destination is on the left or right.
    11. Acquires a GPS lock fairly quickly and holds GPS locks very well.

Con's:
    1. I wish their was better auto zoom detail on upcoming turns
    2. I wish it would show a turn arrow on the map route, not just in the corner screen.
    3. Waiting for text to speech for pronoucing street name. Probably coming in next release.
    4. I think it was a mistake to raise the price from $69.99 to $89.99 when no added features were added. Also, it gave Navigon a big advantage over the higher priced TomTom. And my real reason, I should have bought a 2nd copy for my wife when it was cheaper. I will still buy it because it is the best GPS naviagtion software on the iPhone.
    Last edited by reddawg; 09-07-2009 at 09:29 PM.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

Thanks
    Thanked 9,889 Times in 6,042 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by reddawg View Post
    I should have bought a 2nd copy for my wife when it was cheaper. I will still buy it because it is the best GPS naviagtion software on the iPhone.[/LIST]
    your able to sync up to 5 phones on iTunes. I put a copy of the app on my sons phone no problem.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi
    your able to sync up to 5 phones on iTunes. I put a copy of the app on my sons phone no problem.
    Cool. My wife normally syncs her iPhone 3G to iTunes on her computer. If she syncs to iTunes on my computer will it delete her contacts, music, ringtones or her installed apps?
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

Sorry to bring this back.

Has anyone figured out how to stop the flickering or the Map License Restriction Block when outputting to TV Out? I'm trying to use Navigon on my car's larger display, but it won't play nice.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123