+ Reply
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7891011 19 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [LIST] Language Packages to Delete on 3.0 :: Increased Performance

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
WTF don't erase any files from SpringBoard.app! i erased the Italian language and rebooted my ipod touch and now i have to restore it. its very risky, but is it
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    WTF
    don't erase any files from SpringBoard.app!
    i erased the Italian language and rebooted my ipod touch and now i have to restore it. its very risky, but is it really worth it?
    Last edited by supertaco99; 08-31-2009 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Just an update.. I'm still running just fine. No crashes, reboots, etc. Everytime I install a new app, the non-english lproj files are purged from the phone.

I really can't imagine what some people are accidentally deleting to cause problems. Especially reboot-loops, I can't for the life of me figure out what deleting a language file could do to muck up the boot process.

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by undert0w View Post
    I can't for the life of me figure out what some people are deleting that is causing the endless reboot loop.. what commands are you running? I found the ones posted earlier to be a bit cludgy and redundant.

I use the following:
    Code:
    find / -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -exec rm -rf {} ;
    Now, keep in mind the above command will run in your root ('/'), so your ENTIRE PHONE will be affected. So far *I* personally have not experienced any adverse effects, however, your mileage may vary.

If you wish to run it in a specific directory, simply replace ('/') with the absolute pathname.
    Ok, so if we combine the above script with this other one:

for file in `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "ja*.lproj" -exec echo {} ; | sed -e 's/.///'`; do rm -vr ./ ; done

We should be able to delete everything except English and Japanese (emoji)by adding -not -iname "ja*.lproj" to the simpler/first code?

right? Will this work on WinSCP/Vista? Even though Vista=the devil?

tim
    Last edited by klouud; 09-04-2009 at 08:29 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    Ok, so if we combine the above script with this other one:

for file in `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "ja*.lproj" -exec echo {} ; | sed -e 's/.///'`; do rm -vr ./ ; done

We should be able to delete everything except English and Japanese (emoji)by adding -not -iname "ja*.lproj" to the simpler/first code?
    Whoa, wait. No. There's no combining necessary. To delete everything except Japanese and English simply run:
    Code:
     find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "ja*.lproj" -exec rm -rf {} \;
    There's no reason to run find in a for loop, as that's what it is anyway.. and there's absolutely no use to use sed on the results.

The above code will search cwd (current working directory), recursively, for all NON-EN/JP lproj matches and delete them.

Will this work on WinSCP/Vista? Even though Vista=the devil?

tim
    It doesn't matter what OS you're on. The command is issued/run on the iPhone itself. You can be running OS/2 Warp, it makes no difference. You may want to disable Autolock during the process, to prevent the phone prematurely sleeping.
    Last edited by undert0w; 09-04-2009 at 02:39 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to undert0w For This Useful Post:

klouud (09-04-2009)

Thanks

Why do people want to keep Japanese? Are you all secretly Japanese?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    I use emoji.

Whoa, wait. No. There's no combining necessary. To delete everything except Japanese and English simply run:
    Code:
     find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "ja*.lproj" -exec rm -rf {} ;
    There's no reason to run find in a for loop, as that's what it is anyway.. and there's absolutely no use to use sed on the results.

The above code will search cwd (current working directory), recursively, for all NON-EN/JP lproj matches and delete them.

It doesn't matter what OS you're on. The command is issued/run on the iPhone itself. You can be running OS/2 Warp, it makes no difference. You may want to disable Autolock during the process, to prevent the phone prematurely sleeping.
    Thanx, and thanked.

tim

----------------------------------
    EDIT: ran script and freed 27mb from /var and RAM is about the same @ 58mb free.
    Using a basic Winterboard theme running 1 info.plist, SBSettings, 5 icon dock installed,
    Performance is pretty much the same after a re-boot. The most noticable difference
    is the extra room in /var.

Well... I'm off to disable some daemons now! Thanx guys!

tim
    Last edited by klouud; 09-04-2009 at 03:48 PM.

Thanks

Of course!
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Thanks

I use emoji.
    Lots of people do - but I'm sure someone said you don't need the japanese language to use them.

Maybe I'm wrong, I don't use them so it doesn't bother me.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I had a couple people ask me about backing up the deleted language files. If you want to do this, run the following command BEFORE running the delete routing:

Code:
    find / -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -exec tar rvf /lproj-backup.tar {} \;
    This will archive all of the files into a tarball (located in your root) that you will be deleting. So, if for some reason you need to restore them, they'll be there.

I recommend moving this file elsewhere, as you don't need a 20+MB file sitting in your root. I keep all my backup files on my laptop.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to undert0w For This Useful Post:

XMike24 (09-09-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I had a couple people ask me about backing up the deleted language files. If you want to do this, run the following command BEFORE running the delete routing:

Code:
    find / -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -exec tar rvf /lproj-backup.tar {} ;
    This will archive all of the files into a tarball (located in your root) that you will be deleting. So, if for some reason you need to restore them, they'll be there.

I recommend moving this file elsewhere, as you don't need a 20+MB file sitting in your root. I keep all my backup files on my laptop.
    I recommend putting it in your stash folder: /private/var/stash/langBackup/ that partition should have plenty of room.

undert0w, thanks for cleaning up my code!

Thanks
    i read somewhere in this thread about making tomotom loadint time quicker.. is that by deleting language pack or extra voices? anyone know how to delete extra voice? i only need english

Thanks

Just bought a 3GS and ran the one line script to delete all but Jap and Eng

Results:

56mb free on /var storage
    --211mb > 267mb
    9mb free on available memory
    --161mb > 170mb

tim

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

HAs anyone found out which of these causes the need for restore? I have deleted all of the iproj on /Applications except English and i noticed a huge diffetence in speed of my iPod touch 2g. I would like to try deleting more but I'm scared as I really can't afford to restore. I have too much stuff so can someone please try deleting all iproj listed in the main thread except English or en please and let me know . Thanks :]

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Lots of people do - but I'm sure someone said you don't need the japanese language to use them.

Maybe I'm wrong, I don't use them so it doesn't bother me.
    Correcto, the language packs have NOTHING to do with the funny little faces

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by L33tWeazel View Post
    HAs anyone found out which of these causes the need for restore? I have deleted all of the iproj on /Applications except English and i noticed a huge diffetence in speed of my iPod touch 2g. I would like to try deleting more but I'm scared as I really can't afford to restore. I have too much stuff so can someone please try deleting all iproj listed in the main thread except English or en please and let me know . Thanks :]
    Over enthusiasm causes the problem. I deleted some stuff I shouldn't which is quite easily done if you're not looking (and are fairly stupid) but if you just run the scripts it does it properly and you won't have a problem (but delete Japanese as well unless you speak it and want to keep it)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by L33tWeazel View Post
    I've yet to find a single lproj that, when deleted, causes any ill effect on the phone.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to undert0w For This Useful Post:

Sun357 (10-03-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Oh ok it's just cause some people said they did them all and it caused them to reboot. Ok so the script deletes all language packs except English and en.iproj right? The script is hard to read to can someone pm it to me so I can copy it cuz I can't copy from the little box on mobile. Thanks to both replies too :]

Also can this be done in terminal bacause I don't own a pc thanks :]
    Last edited by L33tWeazel; 09-16-2009 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone popmanbx's Avatar
    Thanks

I tried running the script to remove the language files and I get an error
    -sh: syntax error near unexpected token `|'
    anyone know why it won't run. Oh, I am typing this in terminal.
    I *hEaRt* my IpHoNe

http://twitter.com/#!/Loudmouth0

wanna be cool? Follow me

iPhone? More like MyPhone duceduc's Avatar
    Thanks

I did it to my 1G iphone manually and I don't feel like doing it again with my 3G. I tried the script but got errors when running it. I am using winscp terminal btw. See screenshot. Thanks.

Edited.
    I am trying with putty since winscp is giving me timeout errors. What is the default password for putty? It is assking me everything I type a command.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails [LIST] Language Packages to Delete on 3.0 :: Increased Performance-error.png  
    Last edited by duceduc; 09-30-2009 at 09:22 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I tried the first script to backup language files in winscp's terminal program and got:

/private/var/stash/Applications.pwn$ for file in `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "ja*.lproj" -exec echo {} ; | sed -e 's/.///'`; do tar -rf /private/var/stash/langBackup/langBackup.tar ./ ; done
    -sh: command substitution: line 10: syntax error near unexpected token `|'
    -sh: command substitution: line 10: `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "ja*.lproj" -exec echo {} ; | sed -e 's/.///''