+ Reply
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567 15 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 384

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: [LIST] Language Packages to Delete on 3.0 :: Increased Performance

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Im only doing the apps. cause everytime i do anytjing else i mess something up. Hopefully a program will come out where it will do it for us. I just
...
  1. #81
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    536
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts

    Im only doing the apps. cause everytime i do anytjing else i mess something up. Hopefully a program will come out where it will do it for us. I just dont get what to delete cause first it was delete everything except english and now its english and en.lproj and maybe something else. maybe this is why i messed up cause i deleted what i was not supposed to.? ill wait but thanks for your info..

  2. #82
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,033
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 143 Times in 138 Posts

    haha not literally but it certainly doesn't help with performance but useful to have so i can see waht emails i've received instead of having to unlock and go in to mail.app. i'm forced to use a password as i have a work exchange account on it

  3. #83
    Livin the iPhone Life ALL DAY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chit-Chat
    Posts
    2,277
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 196 Times in 163 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by coachballfirm View Post
    Im only doing the apps. cause everytime i do anytjing else i mess something up. Hopefully a program will come out where it will do it for us. I just dont get what to delete cause first it was delete everything except english and now its english and en.lproj and maybe something else. maybe this is why i messed up cause i deleted what i was not supposed to.? ill wait but thanks for your info..
    I took out all the en.lproj files sans the one I said to leave and I'm still fine. Rebooted mulitple times and it's still straight.

    As long as you're on a fresh restore I'd say try it again, just be real careful.
    Respect your elders.

  4. #84
    Peanut Brain confucious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Woking
    Posts
    10,242
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 900 Times in 817 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by angiepangie View Post
    Try SBSettings and the "Free up memory" button.
    I get ~45mb before pressing and after I get 60mb
    I would do this but I don't have a 'Free up memory button' and (don't tell anyone) I can't find out how to get it
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  5. #85
    Custom Title angiepangie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Golden State :)
    Posts
    3,844
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 222 Times in 211 Posts

    It's in the processes part of SBSettings right under the list of processes running.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

  6. #86
    Peanut Brain confucious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Woking
    Posts
    10,242
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 900 Times in 817 Posts

    I knew that really (he lied)!
    Just done that and I now have a massive 46Mb free... that's with just the phone running. Down to 38Mb with mail running as well.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  7. #87
    Custom Title angiepangie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Golden State :)
    Posts
    3,844
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 222 Times in 211 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    I knew that really (he lied)!
    Just done that and I now have a massive 46Mb free... that's with just the phone running. Down to 38Mb with mail running as well.
    bipolar disorder, much?
    46? wow. I get ~60 with just phone running.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

  8. #88
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Burner911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    172
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 31 Times in 12 Posts

    Deleted a wrong file in my Calculator.app can someone please post the entire Calculator.app folder, I don't care if some language files are deleted. Thanks

    Don't forget to hit "THANKS" if the information was helpful!

  9. #89
    Livin the iPhone Life bobright's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,894
    Thanks
    444
    Thanked 216 Times in 149 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Burner911 View Post
    Deleted a wrong file in my Calculator.app can someone please post the entire Calculator.app folder, I don't care if some language files are deleted. Thanks
    This is what I'm afraid of

    So basically if I understand correctly for people wanting to delete all other languages aside from English - keep the English.projl folder and delete every other one ending in .projl?

  10. #90
    Green Apple nikozen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    81
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    That free up memory thing is pretty neat. I'm seeing some huge fluctuations in the amount of available memory. I haven't installed/removed any applications since removing the .lproj files but I've seen the available memory down to 120MB just when my phone is idling. A restart or better yet the free up memory takes care of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by bobright View Post
    This is what I'm afraid of

    So basically if I understand correctly for people wanting to delete all other languages aside from English - keep the English.projl folder and delete every other one ending in .projl?
    Yea that's pretty much it. Keep English.lproj and any other languages you are fluent in and delete the rest. As noted there are 30 folders total for all of the default applications. If you're going to do it manually just double check the folder count. WinSCP lets you know how many files/folders you are about to delete before you do.
    Last edited by nikozen; 07-30-2009 at 09:52 PM.

  11. #91
    iPhone? More like MyPhone gastonm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    123
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    I did this and all was fine after a respring. However once I rebooted it wouldnt turn back on. I think I know what the problem is for those who have reboot problems. As someone mentioned, there are 30 total languages, so that means if you leave only the English, you're deleting 29 languages. Each time I deleted winscp would show "delete 29" or something like that. However one time it said "delete 30" and I didnt pay attention and deleted 1 extra thing. That was what messed me up. In between the language folders I saw some "support" folders, and other folders that were mixed in but not languages. So that is the problem for everyone who messed up. When deleting make sure you see "29" things get deleted, if any more you are deleting something wrong!

    On another note. Did anyone backup all the files in the system/library/privateframeworks and the system/library/frameworks ?? I messed up in one of those folders.
    Last edited by gastonm; 07-30-2009 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    JESUS CHRIST SAVES

    Unlocked Tmobile

  12. #92
    What's Jailbreak? JamesRiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by gastonm View Post
    On another note. Did anyone backup all the files in the system/library/privateframeworks and the system/library/frameworks ?? I messed up in one of those folders.
    I backed up everything as I went. I'm running a 2g on 3.0FW, so if my stuff would match up with yours, I'll be happy to email/rapidshare/whatever some of my backed up files to you. If I can send you something that'll help, shoot me a private message.

  13. #93
    Livin the iPhone Life bobright's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,894
    Thanks
    444
    Thanked 216 Times in 149 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by nikozen View Post
    Yea that's pretty much it. Keep English.lproj and any other languages you are fluent in and delete the rest. As noted there are 30 folders total for all of the default applications. If you're going to do it manually just double check the folder count. WinSCP lets you know how many files/folders you are about to delete before you do.
    Alright I've went through and done everything as stated, heres to a clean reboot *fingers crossed* and more memory free! If all goes well, to those that need folders if JamesRiot doesnt get you I should be able to cover u

  14. #94
    Livin the iPhone Life ALL DAY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chit-Chat
    Posts
    2,277
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 196 Times in 163 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by gastonm View Post
    I did this and all was fine after a respring. However once I rebooted it wouldnt turn back on. I think I know what the problem is for those who have reboot problems. As someone mentioned, there are 30 total languages, so that means if you leave only the English, you're deleting 29 languages. Each time I deleted winscp would show "delete 29" or something like that. However one time it said "delete 30" and I didnt pay attention and deleted 1 extra thing. That was what messed me up. In between the language folders I saw some "support" folders, and other folders that were mixed in but not languages. So that is the problem for everyone who messed up. When deleting make sure you see "29" things get deleted, if any more you are deleting something wrong!

    On another note. Did anyone backup all the files in the system/library/privateframeworks and the system/library/frameworks ?? I messed up in one of those folders.
    Good stuff. Thanks man. Have any of you n00bs that messed up gone back through and done it a second time?
    Respect your elders.

  15. #95
    Livin the iPhone Life bobright's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,894
    Thanks
    444
    Thanked 216 Times in 149 Posts

    Everything went good for me, but cant really say I notice any improvement in memory im usually around 160

    Does it at least make things snappier (or is it specific to memory)? Hows the actual process make things faster?
    Last edited by bobright; 07-31-2009 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  16. #96
    iPhone? More like MyPhone gastonm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    123
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Had to reboot... So Im starting the process over again (making sure i delete only 29 items!!)

    All is well so far after a reboot.
    JESUS CHRIST SAVES

    Unlocked Tmobile

  17. #97
    Livin the iPhone Life ALL DAY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chit-Chat
    Posts
    2,277
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 196 Times in 163 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bobright View Post
    Everything went good for me, but cant really say I notice any improvement in memory im usually around 160

    Does it at least make things snappier (or is it specific to memory)? Hows the actual process make things faster?
    Yeah, I don't really notice a huge improvement in memory, but I think things open up faster now. :/
    Respect your elders.

  18. #98
    Livin the iPhone Life bobright's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,894
    Thanks
    444
    Thanked 216 Times in 149 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    Yeah, I don't really notice a huge improvement in memory, but I think things open up faster now. :/
    Word, things do seem snappier. Isnt it to bad after doing all this 3.0.1 is released? yawn

  19. #99
    Livin the iPhone Life ALL DAY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chit-Chat
    Posts
    2,277
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 196 Times in 163 Posts

    ^Yes, but odds are it's about 99.3% similar in 3.0.1. This being said, I must say I haven't looked at 3.0.1 yet.
    Respect your elders.

  20. #100
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    536
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts

    Someone needs to make a app where it takes out all these languages for us auto..?

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts