Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567 15 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [LIST] Language Packages to Delete on 3.0 :: Increased Performance

Im only doing the apps. cause everytime i do anytjing else i mess something up. Hopefully a program will come out where it will do it for us. I just dont get what to delete cause first it was delete everything except english and now its english and en.lproj and maybe something else. maybe this is why i messed up cause i deleted what i was not supposed to.? ill wait but thanks for your info..

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

haha not literally but it certainly doesn't help with performance but useful to have so i can see waht emails i've received instead of having to unlock and go in to mail.app. i'm forced to use a password as i have a work exchange account on it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coachballfirm View Post
    Im only doing the apps. cause everytime i do anytjing else i mess something up. Hopefully a program will come out where it will do it for us. I just dont get what to delete cause first it was delete everything except english and now its english and en.lproj and maybe something else. maybe this is why i messed up cause i deleted what i was not supposed to.? ill wait but thanks for your info..
    I took out all the en.lproj files sans the one I said to leave and I'm still fine. Rebooted mulitple times and it's still straight.

As long as you're on a fresh restore I'd say try it again, just be real careful.
    Respect your elders.

Quote Originally Posted by angiepangie View Post
    Try SBSettings and the "Free up memory" button.
    I get ~45mb before pressing and after I get 60mb
    I would do this but I don't have a 'Free up memory button' and (don't tell anyone) I can't find out how to get it
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

It's in the processes part of SBSettings right under the list of processes running.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

I knew that really (he lied)!
    Just done that and I now have a massive 46Mb free... that's with just the phone running. Down to 38Mb with mail running as well.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    I knew that really (he lied)!
    Just done that and I now have a massive 46Mb free... that's with just the phone running. Down to 38Mb with mail running as well.
    bipolar disorder, much?
    46? wow. I get ~60 with just phone running.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

iPhone? More like MyPhone Burner911's Avatar
    Thanks

Deleted a wrong file in my Calculator.app can someone please post the entire Calculator.app folder, I don't care if some language files are deleted. Thanks

Don't forget to hit "THANKS" if the information was helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by Burner911 View Post
    Deleted a wrong file in my Calculator.app can someone please post the entire Calculator.app folder, I don't care if some language files are deleted. Thanks
    This is what I'm afraid of

So basically if I understand correctly for people wanting to delete all other languages aside from English - keep the English.projl folder and delete every other one ending in .projl?

That free up memory thing is pretty neat. I'm seeing some huge fluctuations in the amount of available memory. I haven't installed/removed any applications since removing the .lproj files but I've seen the available memory down to 120MB just when my phone is idling. A restart or better yet the free up memory takes care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobright View Post
    This is what I'm afraid of

So basically if I understand correctly for people wanting to delete all other languages aside from English - keep the English.projl folder and delete every other one ending in .projl?
    Yea that's pretty much it. Keep English.lproj and any other languages you are fluent in and delete the rest. As noted there are 30 folders total for all of the default applications. If you're going to do it manually just double check the folder count. WinSCP lets you know how many files/folders you are about to delete before you do.
    Last edited by nikozen; 07-30-2009 at 10:52 PM.

I did this and all was fine after a respring. However once I rebooted it wouldnt turn back on. I think I know what the problem is for those who have reboot problems. As someone mentioned, there are 30 total languages, so that means if you leave only the English, you're deleting 29 languages. Each time I deleted winscp would show "delete 29" or something like that. However one time it said "delete 30" and I didnt pay attention and deleted 1 extra thing. That was what messed me up. In between the language folders I saw some "support" folders, and other folders that were mixed in but not languages. So that is the problem for everyone who messed up. When deleting make sure you see "29" things get deleted, if any more you are deleting something wrong!

On another note. Did anyone backup all the files in the system/library/privateframeworks and the system/library/frameworks ?? I messed up in one of those folders.
    Last edited by gastonm; 07-31-2009 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    JESUS CHRIST SAVES

Unlocked Tmobile

Quote Originally Posted by gastonm View Post
    On another note. Did anyone backup all the files in the system/library/privateframeworks and the system/library/frameworks ?? I messed up in one of those folders.
    I backed up everything as I went. I'm running a 2g on 3.0FW, so if my stuff would match up with yours, I'll be happy to email/rapidshare/whatever some of my backed up files to you. If I can send you something that'll help, shoot me a private message.

Quote Originally Posted by nikozen View Post
    Yea that's pretty much it. Keep English.lproj and any other languages you are fluent in and delete the rest. As noted there are 30 folders total for all of the default applications. If you're going to do it manually just double check the folder count. WinSCP lets you know how many files/folders you are about to delete before you do.
    Alright I've went through and done everything as stated, heres to a clean reboot *fingers crossed* and more memory free! If all goes well, to those that need folders if JamesRiot doesnt get you I should be able to cover u

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gastonm View Post
    I did this and all was fine after a respring. However once I rebooted it wouldnt turn back on. I think I know what the problem is for those who have reboot problems. As someone mentioned, there are 30 total languages, so that means if you leave only the English, you're deleting 29 languages. Each time I deleted winscp would show "delete 29" or something like that. However one time it said "delete 30" and I didnt pay attention and deleted 1 extra thing. That was what messed me up. In between the language folders I saw some "support" folders, and other folders that were mixed in but not languages. So that is the problem for everyone who messed up. When deleting make sure you see "29" things get deleted, if any more you are deleting something wrong!

Good stuff. Thanks man. Have any of you n00bs that messed up gone back through and done it a second time?
    Respect your elders.

Everything went good for me, but cant really say I notice any improvement in memory im usually around 160

Does it at least make things snappier (or is it specific to memory)? Hows the actual process make things faster?
    Last edited by bobright; 07-31-2009 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Had to reboot... So Im starting the process over again (making sure i delete only 29 items!!)

All is well so far after a reboot.
    JESUS CHRIST SAVES

Unlocked Tmobile

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobright View Post
    Everything went good for me, but cant really say I notice any improvement in memory im usually around 160

Does it at least make things snappier (or is it specific to memory)? Hows the actual process make things faster?
    Yeah, I don't really notice a huge improvement in memory, but I think things open up faster now. :/
    Respect your elders.

Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    Yeah, I don't really notice a huge improvement in memory, but I think things open up faster now. :/
    Word, things do seem snappier. Isnt it to bad after doing all this 3.0.1 is released? yawn

Thanks

^Yes, but odds are it's about 99.3% similar in 3.0.1. This being said, I must say I haven't looked at 3.0.1 yet.
    Respect your elders.

Someone needs to make a app where it takes out all these languages for us auto..?

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567 15 ... LastLast