Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [LIST] Language Packages to Delete on 3.0 :: Increased Performance

Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 1,008 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    If it's in that repo I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

Nasty, nasty place.
    Do you know something about this repo that we need to know?

I don't wanna risk bricking my phone for no reason...especially since I already have these tweaks installed!!!

Thanks

@PhanaticD
    Can you take off the Auto-Install for the IPH icons?

Thanks

Hmmm, i rebooted and it still didn't work. Where is the Freedom Script package downloading to (eg. var/mobile/Applications)? Maybe I have something in there that its trying to overwrite

Thanks

BTW, I was wrong: it's also giving the error during the Freedom Script Download. The icon issue might be resolved now

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    Had the same question - just ran in Cyber Duck

1. Open and log in
    2. I like to navigate to /root - I don't think this matters tho...
    3. Click Go/Open in Terminal.app - Go located on Status bar
    4. Paste command line and hit enter

I'm at 258mb on Var after running scrip to keep American English and Jap and sitting at 169mb of RAM wich is about 8-10 more than I normally get

3GS 3.1.2 blackra1n

Mobile Substrates Active:

Activator
    Backgrounder
    Cyntact
    FrostBite
    MailToAttachmentMess...
    PDFPatch_CVE - 2010-1797...
    PreferenceLoader
    PrivaCy
    QuickReply
    RotationInhibitor
    SnowCover Pro
    StatusNotifier
    Unrestrictor3G - toggled off to save battery
    WinterBoard - used "crush themes" for added performance
    YourTube1
    libhide

Have not shaved Daemons...yet...
    Thanks, I would recommend doing a backup of daemons, I did it a couple of weeks ago and did only daemons that were labeled as "safe" by other users that created the outline. Phone worked all fine and dandy but I noticed an unusual amount of crashes after the removal of daemons and certain features not working such as internet while being on the phone (multitask)... not exactly sure why or how, but I know it definitely happened after I removed the daemons.

Quote Originally Posted by undert0w View Post
    Whoa, wait. No. There's no combining necessary. To delete everything except Japanese and English simply run:
    Code:
     find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "ja*.lproj" -exec rm -rf {} ;
    There's no reason to run find in a for loop, as that's what it is anyway.. and there's absolutely no use to use sed on the results.

The above code will search cwd (current working directory), recursively, for all NON-EN/JP lproj matches and delete them.

It doesn't matter what OS you're on. The command is issued/run on the iPhone itself. You can be running OS/2 Warp, it makes no difference. You may want to disable Autolock during the process, to prevent the phone prematurely sleeping.

Hey undertow, can you get me this script for English/Spanish instead of Japanese?

Quote Originally Posted by undert0w View Post
    I had a couple people ask me about backing up the deleted language files. If you want to do this, run the following command BEFORE running the delete routing:

Code:
    find / -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -exec tar rvf /lproj-backup.tar {} ;
    This will archive all of the files into a tarball (located in your root) that you will be deleting. So, if for some reason you need to restore them, they'll be there.

I recommend moving this file elsewhere, as you don't need a 20+MB file sitting in your root. I keep all my backup files on my laptop.
    Also quick question, I'm currently in the process of backing up and it's already up to an 80mb file and I'm down to 10mb on my phone. (I don't think I'm going to be able to finish backing up the rest of the files without stopping the script.

... nvm, this literally stopped at 5mb of storage left on / 21784 mb on /var... Total file size (87mb) I wonder if this backup was even worth it. Literally took an hour and a half.
    Last edited by XMike24; 09-09-2010 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by XMike24 View Post
    Thanks, I would recommend doing a backup of daemons, I did it a couple of weeks ago and did only daemons that were labeled as "safe" by other users that created the outline. Phone worked all fine and dandy but I noticed an unusual amount of crashes after the removal of daemons and certain features not working such as internet while being on the phone (multitask)... not exactly sure why or how, but I know it definitely happened after I removed the daemons.

Hey undertow, can you get me this script for English/Spanish instead of Japanese?

Also quick question, I'm currently in the process of backing up and it's already up to an 80mb file and I'm down to 10mb on my phone. (I don't think I'm going to be able to finish backing up the rest of the files without stopping the script.

... nvm, this literally stopped at 5mb of storage left on / 21784 mb on /var... Total file size (87mb) I wonder if this backup was even worth it. Literally took an hour and a half.
    Did it work for you?
    I've done the Daemons before - I have a modded LaunchDaeomns folder that I just drag to my iPhone3GS after renaming the original and copying it to my computer.

Did it work for you?
    I've done the Daemons before - I have a modded LaunchDaeomns folder that I just drag to my iPhone3GS after renaming the original and copying it to my computer.
    For now I've only done the backup (since I did it during class... I only have 10 minutes left until I go to my next class) ... sooo I'll be doing the removal of the languages next class. But the backup itself worked.

The daemons worked but I was unsatisfied with the crashes that followed after and the glitches here and there, and it really only saved me like 3 or 4 off the memory.

Ok well I'm on my iPod now, I'll look at later, I did post a direct download on mmi somewhere, otherwise it's on my site too

Is this working with 4.1? Specifically the script?

yeh why not. i actually dont recommend deleting launch daemons as i possibly fuks with ur wifi, i know it did for me. well overall deleting language packs and launch daemons isnt gonna make a huge difference. if your on a device equal to or higher than a touch3g or iphone3GS you dont need to do anythin. only if your on a touch2g or lowers than ur best bet for speed is installing a VM hack. this has been my experience so yeh

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

What exactly is the point to removing the other languages?
    How much more space does it give u on a 3GS 16 gig? Can u get them back once there gone for resale purposes?

point: reduce space and possibly app launch time? idk if it makes a difference
    space: idk look on the itunes space meter before and after
    getitback: restore

Does the most good for the iPhone 2G/3G or iPod Touch equivalent. It saves a 3GS about 10mb of space on //var and frees up about 10mb of RAM. App Launch times will also go down. You can not restore unless you make a backup yourself... and that would take forever.

I think WinSCP does a better job than Cyber Duck for running scripts - so if you have a Mac just reboot into Win to run the script. Google "WinSCP" and install.

This is definitely worth the trouble.

As the script is running keep SBSettings open on your iPhone/Touch and watch //var get bigger and bigger. Reboot (not respring) and see your RAM/performance go up.

Getting rid of launch daemons also improves boot time and performance.
    --If you don't mind killing your device within 5 years then you can add the gumballtech repo and install the supercharger app (don't remember the name) you will get 80mb of RAM with a 3G and 205mb RAM on a 3GS.

tim

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Does the most good for the iPhone 2G/3G or iPod Touch equivalent. It saves a 3GS about 10mb of space on //var and frees up about 10mb of RAM. App Launch times will also go down. You can not restore unless you make a backup yourself... and that would take forever.

I think WinSCP does a better job than Cyber Duck for running scripts - so if you have a Mac just reboot into Win to run the script. Google "WinSCP" and install.

This is definitely worth the trouble.

As the script is running keep SBSettings open on your iPhone/Touch and watch //var get bigger and bigger. Reboot (not respring) and see your RAM/performance go up.

Getting rid of launch daemons also improves boot time and performance.
    --If you don't mind killing your device within 5 years then you can add the gumballtech repo and install the supercharger app (don't remember the name) you will get 80mb of RAM with a 3G and 205mb RAM on a 3GS.

tim
    Lol cause if your gunna sell it the next guy will never know that it's gunna die soon lol

^^^exactly. and i fixed my repo, so the freedom script should work now

Thanks

@PhanaticD,
    Okay, I used ur Freedom Script and it's pretty cool! I do have two issues with it, though:
    1. Make it so it does not automatically try to install Mobile Terminal. *the current version of Terminal doesn't work with ios4 but I found a working one from xsellize that is on their repo. Unfortunately, it clashes with the original when trying to install so this is bad for ios4 users wanting to DL this package!

2. This REMOVED my AT&T carrier bundle which meant no Data Service! Since this is supposed to be for US only, go back through your script to disable that since a lot of us are on AT&T or T-Mobile. Luckily I got it back using unlockit.co.nz

Other than that, I think ur package is clean and easy to use! Hope you take this advice if you want future users to DL it and be able to use it.

Thanks

@Phanaticd,
    Found another issue: I cannot download an App from the App Store anymore.

I can update existing apps but cannot get any new apps. BTW, I have synced/backed up/everything else I could do with iTunes and it didn't fix the problem.

Just FYI...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PhanaticD View Post
    ^^^exactly. and i fixed my repo, so the freedom script should work now
    Tried your package. I deleted most things, except for like the carrier bundles (because of the above posts) and it seemed to work smoothly. Can't say I seem to notice a huge speed boost but I'll just assume I did get a minor one.

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    @Phanaticd,
    Found another issue: I cannot download an App from the App Store anymore.

I can update existing apps but cannot get any new apps. BTW, I have synced/backed up/everything else I could do with iTunes and it didn't fix the problem.

Just FYI...
    That it sooo weird. Just tried out the package and I downloaded a game off of the app store and it worked just fine.

Thanks

@PhanaticD
    I must apologize, I thought ur script caused the App store to not work but it is something else. I restored to 4.0.1 and the App Store was working again but after putting it in a CategorieSB folder it started doing the same thing. I took it out of the folder and it worked again! My bad...that wasn't ur doing!

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast