+ Reply
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [LIST] Language Packages to Delete on 3.0 :: Increased Performance

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Japanese language is not needed for emoji - it's only needed if you speak Japanese....
    Thanks

Japanese language is not needed for emoji - it's only needed if you speak Japanese....
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks
    when i select keyboard it alowe to svich to yes but no keyboard apear, is it because of languages?

My iPhone is a Part of Me ekidd's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by notovich View Post
    when i select keyboard it alowe to svich to yes but no keyboard apear, is it because of languages?
    Im assuming your doing the iaccess keyboard mod? If you are, then the language packs have nothing to do with the mod.

Thanks
    OK, just to clarify, I've instaled custom with only Engl and Russ (some one removed all language packs) so now in Settings-General-keyboard-Int. keyboards i see all languages, but unable to activate any, but only ENG&RUS, but i need JAP/Emoji. thank you in advance.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok, what code do I input into MobileTerminal to remove EVERY language pack (expect english, or course) from my iphone? I'm on a 2G, running 3.1.2, btw.

iPhone? More like MyPhone duceduc's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by malcx View Post
    Ok, what code do I input into MobileTerminal to remove EVERY language pack (expect english, or course) from my iphone? I'm on a 2G, running 3.1.2, btw.
    This code works for me using winscp terminal(leave out the quotes) . It leaves english and japanese.

"find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "ja*.lproj" -exec rm -rf {} \;"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by duceduc View Post
    This code works for me using winscp terminal(leave out the quotes) . It leaves english and japanese.

"find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "ja*.lproj" -exec rm -rf {} ;"
    I got 2 questions:

1) Does this code include the quotes in the beginning and end of it?

2) How can I copy and paste in MobileTerminal?

"find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "ja*.lproj" -exec rm -rf {} ;"
    Your code didn't work at all. It didn't remove any language pack files at all. I get an error message saying something like: "... spanish (or french) .iproj no such file or directory exists..."
    Last edited by malcx; 11-25-2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone duceduc's Avatar
    Thanks

Sorry, don't know what to tell you. When I started doing this for the first time, I had to find the correct code myself. It seems some codes that work for others doesn't work for me. After a couple of tries, I found this to work.

I also noticed when I use winscp to run the code, I cannot do other things on my desktop or I get a timeout error. It takes about a minutes and after that it gives you a list of files that is deleted.

The error you see was it during the script in terminal? Have you rebooted the phone and verify the folders have been deleted?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I believe the first '.' means find from here down i.e. from the current directory and subdirectories so where do you need to be to run it? Is there any harm in changing this to '/' to find ALL occurrences from root down?

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks for these great instructions i'm going to try it soon. I must first make a backup!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Here are the complete instructions:

On a PC:
    Type in "
    for file in `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "ru*.lproj" -exec echo {} \; | sed -e 's/\.\///'`; do rm -vr ./$file ; done
    "
    into WinSCP, and you're done (this will leave english and russian languages, change the "ru" to whatever language you want or just delete " -not -iname "ru*.lproj" " if you only want English)

For a Mac:
    This was a bit trickier, Cyberduck wasn't being an intelligent program.

You ssh into your iphone, then type
    "
    cd /
    "
    this will bring you to the root directory

then
    "
    for file in `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "ru*.lproj" -exec echo {} \; | sed -e 's/\.\///'`; do rm -vr ./$file ;
    "
    this will initiate the search and deletion, but nothing is going to be changing if you look into the directories while it's going on. Just wait it out for a good hour or so so that it finds everything.

It should look like this:

Ruslan-iPhone:~ root# cd /
    Ruslan-iPhone:/ root# cd Applications
    Ruslan-iPhone:/Applications root# for file in `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "ru*.lproj" -exec echo {} \; | sed -e 's/\.\///'`; do rm -vr ./$file ;
    >

at this point you wait for an hour or so to let it do its business

after an hour you type "done" into the sub command

Ruslan-iPhone:/Applications root# for file in `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "ru*.lproj" -exec echo {} \; | sed -e 's/\.\///'`; do rm -vr ./$file ;
    > done
    removed `./AppStore.app/Dutch.lproj/Localizable.strings'
    removed directory: `./AppStore.app/Dutch.lproj'
    removed `./AppStore.app/French.lproj/Localizable.strings'
    removed directory: `./AppStore.app/French.lproj'
    removed `./AppStore.app/German.lproj/Localizable.strings'
    removed directory: `./AppStore.app/German.lproj'
    ....... (the rest of the directories)

I hope this cleared up a lot of confusion

Thanks

You could cut the execution time down by skipping all the files and deleting only the directories by piping through grep -E proj$, then instead of the for loop, pipe the find output to while read file; do rm -rf "$file"; done and it should catch all the filenames with spaces. That is basically what I did upthread and it only took a couple minutes to find and remove everything.

Thanks

I went through and started deleting manually since I had a problem with the script on the first page.

I am going to give undertow's script a shot tonight and see how that goes.

Just going through manually a few of the things definitely increased the speed and available ram a bit (like 10mb more or so). So thank you for the tips.

I did the Launch Daemon's last night as well.

And am considering the swap space, but it seems most have problems with it?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default help
    Im a newbie at this. can someone help me out on the first 3 steps. what do i need to? as in cd means? please help. i would appreciate it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

cd is the command "change directory" I call it copy to directory
    Last edited by Melech518; 12-02-2009 at 06:50 PM.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm not sure what it stands for but it's definitely not "copy directory," it tells the program to go to a certain directory.

Say I'm in the first directory, root (/)
    I'm then at /
    Let's say there are five directories. If they are a, b,c,d, and e, and I type in "cd a"
    I'l be in /a
    then there are three, g,h,c in that directory (folder)
    If I type "cd h", it takes me to
    /a/h
    It's basically a step by step "go to directory"
    To find out what directories (folders) are available, you can type in "dir"

@psi4pwr:
    What system are you using? Mac or PC?
    Last edited by ruslan120; 12-02-2009 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

im on a pc. so do i do that in winscp or in the terminal is my main confusion. or do i do it all in the terminal. i found the folder on the first step just in winscp. do i use that as commands in terminal or what?

i need like a video demo.lol do i run basically all the steps in terminal or where do i start first step? first time using ssh. always use iphonebrowser
    Last edited by psi4pwr; 12-02-2009 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

OT: I was thinking about this earlier when doing it to my friends 3gs and I still don't see how this decreases ram usage. I can understand quicker starting of a program because there are less files to load, but not the increase in ram. Except for the launch daemons which from what I understand are like processes on a windows machine and run in the background? Correct if I'm wrong. Sorry for going off topic but it was bugging the crap out of me lol.

Thanks

I spent a couple hours writing a script that is interactive, hopefully newbie friendly, verbose and hopefully makes it hard to delete the wrong things. Would a couple people volunteer to test it? I've tested it on my computer with dummy lproj directories and tested it on my phone. Seems to work great, and like I said, it makes it hard to delete the wrong things.

I tried to use bash builtin commands or basic non-builtins so I think it should run on any jailbroken phone. But I'm not entirely sure, so it would be nice to make sure it works for someone who has a fresh jailbreak.

So, volunteers, PM me and I will PM you the script. I use Linux so I have no clue how to use it with winscp, cyberduck or any of those tools, but it will run on the phone with MobileTerminal and should run by sshing in to the phone. If you can figure out how to get it on the phone, make it executable and run it, the script will do the rest. Then, as long as everything works, I'll post it here in a day or two.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hello People can anyone please upload the whole /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AddressBook.framework I deleted it . Please Please.
    It would be very help ful.
    Last edited by Dayanan; 12-03-2009 at 10:34 AM.