Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Re-enable Disabled iPhone W/out Restore

Default Re-enable Disabled iPhone W/out Restore
    Bought iPhones for my daughter and I and before I could sync or backup my soon-to-be ex stole the iPhone and tried to break in. So now it is disabled. Apple tells me that the only thing they can do, since it was not synced, is a restore which will wipe the data files. I need my text message files for legal purposes. I mean I NEED them. Drive Savers will cost approximately $900 to dump the files. (Not much of an option.)

Does anyone know how to re-enable an iPhone that has not been synced and that should not be restored?

My iPhone is a Part of Me JAG2621's Avatar
    Thanks

Has it been jailbroken? What degree of disabled are you talking about?
    If anything was usefull a thanks would be great!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,209 Times in 6,214 Posts

Welcome to MMi
    Sorry to hear about your problems. Let me get this right, your trying to pull the info off your phone, or computer?
    I don't really understand. Please explain. I'm confused. Perhaps just jailbreak it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Welcome to MMi
    Sorry to hear about your problems. Let me get this right, your trying to pull the info off your phone, or computer?
    I don't really understand. Please explain. I'm confused. Perhaps just jailbreak it.

Sounds like to me that the phone will not start up. In my experience even though a iPhone will not start, sometimes if the iPhone is jailbroken and openssh is installed you can still access the iPhone and the data.
    Last edited by JAG2621; 07-15-2009 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks

^ yup. I've done that too.

should be able to grab the data from users/library folder.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 07-15-2009 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

I am willing to bet that the iPhone is not jailbroken and then it sounds like the data savers that he was talking about will be the only way if they can even do that.

Thanks

^ yup, I would agree. Odd that he didn't stay on line to try to get some answers too. But still he should be able to pull the files and then hackwork it I'm thinking.

Default Clarification on Disabled iPhone Delimma
    It is not Jailbroken. Standard off the shelf from the AT&T store. Apple says that the files holding the text message text bodies are located alternately on the iPhone HD (Genius Bar edition) and on a flash drive (Apple call in edition). The iPhone has never been synced and that is my problem. Everything I need resides on the phone itself. According to Apple and AT&T none of the text messages reside on remote servers. All is on the phone.

Right now all I get is the iPhone is disabled / connect to iTunes message. No movement from there.

Connecting to iTunes gets me nowhere. The iPhone does not even show up in the device list.

Have tried powering down and then up while connected and not (Apple suggestion). Nothing.

I can do a Restore and get the phone back to functionality. Not a good idea. I NEED the text messages. It is a legal issue. Middle of a divorce where spouse has made numerous threatening remarks. I need those. The phone is in the state it is because it was stolen from me by one of her family members. They either tried to access the data over and over or simply road it in to Disable mode to keep me from the data.

Thanks

Wow, that totally sux. Feeling your pain but this is over my head on how to get it out while it's in recovery mode. Hopefully someone will have an idea for you. Good luck.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

I hate to tell you this, but the only way a stock phone will give you that message is (1) if the motherboard was damaged beyond functionality or (2) if the phone was hooked to any itunes computer and a restore/sync was attempted.

If (1) is the case, even drive savers will have an issue attempting a recovery since it is flash memory and not a hard drive they can remove.

If (2) is the case, then your sms database file is already gone. The phone gives you the connect to itunes message after a sync/restore with no activation involved.

My advice is to buy a new iphone, coax her into making the threats again, keep your money, and quit dating psychopaths.
    Last edited by one1; 07-15-2009 at 04:54 PM.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

iPhone? More like MyPhone ddfilms's Avatar
    Thanks

Don't know if this will work for you for sure but, I have this program "Phoneview"

Ecamm Network: PhoneView - Add Notes to iPhone and iPod Touch - Backup to iPhone - Download Notes, Access SMS, Contacts, Call History

It allows you to access all of your files without the jailbreak. Like I said I dont know if it will work for you but it may be worth a try. Hope it works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -picture-6.png  

Thanks folks. Am going to give PhoneView a shot. Will let you know results.

Phoneview did not work. It insisted on the password being entered. I Can't get to a screen that allows me to enter a password. So no go.
    Last edited by bluedaddy; 07-15-2009 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Since you are on OSX, try to boot the phone with pwnage. It's goal is to put it INTO DFU, but is can also kick it out so maybe it'll help you out of recovery. If it gets to the point of allowing you to build custom firmware, you're probably booted up. pull it off, reboot and see.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks

Just out of curiosity let us know what happens.

Thumbs up maybe this can help you
    Your iPhone may occasionally lock up and become disabled, preventing you from using any of the device's built-in functions. Fortunately, it's possible to correct this problem with the two buttons built into the device
    Instructions

Press and hold down the circle button, located below the touchscreen, and the small button at the top of the screen. Continue to hold these buttons down as the iPhone turns off.

Wait a few moments, then press the circular button. After a few moments an Apple icon loads onto the screen. This performs a boot cycle that takes several moments.

Slide your finger across the "Unlock" option when the iPhone has finished booting. The main screen appears, allowing you to again use your once disabled cell phone.

Read more: How to Enable an iPhone When Disabled Without iTunes | eHow.com How to Enable an iPhone When Disabled Without iTunes | eHow.com