+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Low Disk Space?

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Okay, so I downloaded Jamendo's "Ringtones!" Program today on my 1.1.3 iPhone... When I first went to make a new ringtone, it warned me that I had "low disk space"
    Thanks

Default Low Disk Space?
    Okay, so I downloaded Jamendo's "Ringtones!" Program today on my 1.1.3 iPhone...

When I first went to make a new ringtone, it warned me that I had "low disk space" and I should delete some audio/video files before continuing.

The thing is, iTunes says that I have 4.05GB free. So what gives?

Thanks in advance for the help! I greatly appreciate it.

EDIT: To administrators/respected members- My apologies, I put this in the wrong section. I'm very sorry; feel free to punish me severely.
    Last edited by ALL DAY; 03-13-2008 at 08:49 PM.

Thanks

There exists two partitions on the iphone's flash drive. Local and media. Local is where your ringtones and apps are located. Download a program called bosstool and go to free up space. Move your ringtones and fonts and you should be in the clear.
    Running:
    iPhone 4 4.0 Jailbreakme
    iPad Wifi 3.2 jailbreakme
    AT&T

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MMSiphone For This Useful Post:

chinosoflyy198 (03-16-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Move your /Applications folder to the media partition and then create a symbolic link:

Code:
    cd /
    cp -pr Applications /var/root
    mv Applications Applications.old
    ln -s private/var/root/Applications /Applications
    rm -rf Applications.old

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

no real need to move anything but ringtones considering that is the massive part.

with regard to punishing you... you seem a little too eager for it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I put BossTools on and moved fonts and ringtones, and my iphone apps started crashing. Mail SMS, safari all of it. I guess it had something to do with the fonts being moved. I have no idea why, any ideas?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Shouldn't.. I moved fonts as well with no probs..

Thanks

Alright, thanks a lot, guys! I'll try only moving the ringtones and see what comes of the situation.

For the sake of coherence and understanding and what not, ringtones will be moved to the media partition, correct?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Damballah View Post
    I put BossTools on and moved fonts and ringtones, and my iphone apps started crashing. Mail SMS, safari all of it. I guess it had something to do with the fonts being moved. I have no idea why, any ideas?
    Are you able to SSH into your iPhone? If you can, check to make sure link is there (/System/Library/Fonts -> /var/Fonts). If it doesn't exist you may have to manually create link (Something may have gone wrong during BossTools relocation process). Also make sure to check that total size of the Fonts directory is around 70mb.

Thanks

What happens if I want to restore the device after I move things? Do they go back where they came from or do they remain in their new location?

Thanks!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    What happens if I want to restore the device after I move things? Do they go back where they came from or do they remain in their new location?

Thanks!
    They go back where they came from. Also all your 3rd party apps get wiped out. Trust me I know, I just did a restore!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to alfredog1976 For This Useful Post:

ALL DAY (03-17-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Damballah View Post
    I did that too and mine crashed badly... One reason I think so is because the application was moved. Either way.. only way to fix it is by restoring.

Thanks

Thanks for the help, alfredog and for the input, wythyntime.

I'm just going to move ringtones because I don't want to risk my setup and stuff.

EDIT: Wow, BossTool won't relocate my ringtones; I'm at 13MB free out of 300MB and I've tried it a couple of times to no avail... Help?!
    Last edited by ALL DAY; 03-17-2008 at 03:23 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Anyone, I really hope you can help me. Alfredog said that when you restore the device everything goes back. I have had to restore 3 times in the past week and everytime I ssh in I still see symbolic links.
    in my / folder are 6 sym link folders:

applications
    etc
    mach
    tmp
    User
    var

these folders don't go away after a restore. I do the restore through itunes and I always set it up as a new phone. This whole thing started when I was trying to get categories to work. That was a bust and I wasn't sure I had jailbroken properly. I then restored and used ziphone (latest) and it seemed to work (Jailbreak only). Then I tried to use smsd and getting that to work caused me to have to restore again. Tried to run bosstools and it told me that things where already moved.

I am currently sitting with a ziphone jailbroken ATT&T 8 gig with 1.1.3(4A93) the 4th & 5th numbers of my serial are 45 (that's supposed to mean something right?). I am running installer and cydia with fake bsd. everything seems to be ok right now.

What I am trying to accomplish in the long run is to have a phone running catagories, smsd (possibly wetool also also if I can) along with:

customize, picomemo, wedict, Books, contactflow, afp with bonjour, mobilefinder, mobilepreview, mobile textedit, and pericam.

there used to be a thing that allowed you to download from mobile safari but I can't find that anymore. That would be cool. I would like this to work at least decently to a little choppy at the most.

If anybody can help me I would be appreciated. trying to trouble shoot with more than 3 apps involved is a bit frustrating for someone who is a graphic designer and not a programmer.

Thanks to anyone who can help a man who just realized that he is dummer than he thought ;-)

Thanks

Alright, BossTools now has moved my fonts fine, giving me 105MB out of 300MB free, however it still says ringtones are not relocated, even though they no longer exist in the "/" folder, but rather the "/var" part...

This is hella bamboozling, so if anyone has any advice, please help!

Also, would it be a bad idea to simply move ringtones back to where they previously were in WinSCP? Thanks a ton!

-Douglas

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Alright, BossTools now has moved my fonts fine, giving me 105MB out of 300MB free, however it still says ringtones are not relocated, even though they no longer exist in the "/" folder, but rather the "/var" part...

This is hella bamboozling, so if anyone has any advice, please help!

Also, would it be a bad idea to simply move ringtones back to where they previously were in WinSCP? Thanks a ton!

-Douglas
    Hi Douglas,
    Do the default ringtones work? For example are you able to preview them in the Settings of the iPhone? If so, I would just leave it the way it is, it sounds like your default Ringtones have already been moved to /var/Ringtones (original location is "/System/Ringtones" if i'm not mistaken). If you really wanted to move them back (I don't think there would be a benefit to that, just my humble opinion), I can give you the steps how.

Edit: Sorry, Ringtones directory is actually located at "/Library/Ringtones" not "/System/Ringtones".

Quote Originally Posted by sabanir View Post
    Anyone, I really hope you can help me. Alfredog said that when you restore the device everything goes back. I have had to restore 3 times in the past week and everytime I ssh in I still see symbolic links.
    in my / folder are 6 sym link folders:

applications
    etc
    mach
    tmp
    User
    var
    I wouldn't touch "etc", "mach", "tmp", or "var" as they should all have symbolic links (For "User", im guessing you mean "usr", but I just checked mine and it is not linked, so not sure about that one) Not sure why when you did a restore the link did not revert back to a regular directory (in the case of "Applications"). I'm pretty sure when I did a restore, the "Applicatons" link reverted back to a regular directory. Were your 3rd party apps deleted?
    Last edited by alfredog1976; 03-17-2008 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The sym links in the root / directory is system default (except for /Applications). Do not alter them.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Alfredog, My apps were deleted after each restore. That is why I thought everything was fine.

And believe it or not it does say "User"

it goes to /private/var/mobile

inside the mobilefolder is
    .forward
    .todo
    Library folder
    Media folder

There is something I am a bit confused about....when I ssh in (I use transmit ftp program on mac), what constitutes the "media partition"? In other words...how canI look at the file tree of my iphone through say an ftp program and tell which items are on which partition? Of course on my computer I can see a "partition" represented visually. Can you do that on iphone or what after the / means the right partition.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say. HA!HA!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sabanir View Post
    Alfredog, My apps were deleted after each restore. That is why I thought everything was fine.

And believe it or not it does say "User"

it goes to /private/var/mobile

inside the mobilefolder is
    .forward
    .todo
    Library folder
    Media folder

There is something I am a bit confused about....when I ssh in (I use transmit ftp program on mac), what constitutes the "media partition"? In other words...how canI look at the file tree of my iphone through say an ftp program and tell which items are on which partition? Of course on my computer I can see a "partition" represented visually. Can you do that on iphone or what after the / means the right partition.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say. HA!HA!
    Type "df -H" using SSH client or Terminal.app. It will show you each partition, the directories associated with each partition and the amount used and space left for each partition. If you wanted a tree view, I use WinSCP on Windows XP (not sure of the Mac equivalent program).

Thanks

Alright, thanks a lot. The default tones work fine, and I can't find any doubles in the files, so I guess I'll just leave it as-is for now.

However, I'm not sure as to whether ringtones are included in the 105MB out of 300MB of free space...

I take it it's not as simple as just dragging the file back to where it came from in WinSCP?
    Last edited by ALL DAY; 03-17-2008 at 08:49 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Alright, thanks a lot. The default tones work fine, and I can't find any doubles in the files, so I guess I'll just leave it as-is for now.

However, I'm not sure as to whether ringtones are included in the 105MB out of 300MB of free space...

I take it it's not as simple as just dragging the file back to where it came from in WinSCP?
    Yeah you can do that you just have to do some renaming of files and removing the symbolic link (if it's there).

There's an easy way to check in WinSCP if the ringtones were really moved to the larger partition (where your music and videos are located). In WinSCP, check if "/var/Ringtones" exists and if the ringtones are actually in there (around 30mb i believe). If not, check if an symbolic link exists for "/Library/Ringtones". You can right click and check "Properties" and it should tell you if it's linked to another directory. If it's not linked to "/var/Ringtones" let us know.