Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone "Disable Edge" ??

Default iPhone "Disable Edge" ??
    I found a few links on the whole EDGE thing, however one I found does not give instructions on how to do it, and the other only disables EDGE until the phone is powered off then back on. Is there a way to disable EDGE so I can use a existing SIM so it will not attempt to download any data? Also is there a way to make this changable on the fly under phone settings or something?

Thanks

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

Not that I've seen.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by unrealism View Post
    I found a few links on the whole EDGE thing, however one I found does not give instructions on how to do it, and the other only disables EDGE until the phone is powered off then back on. Is there a way to disable EDGE so I can use a existing SIM so it will not attempt to download any data? Also is there a way to make this changable on the fly under phone settings or something?

Thanks

all i did was delete the username and password under settings -> general -> network -> edge -> DELETE the username and password.

ive been running it on rogers canada like this for a week and 0kB over rogers wireless, just using wifi

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

Ah, ha, good call.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by uwnit View Post
    all i did was delete the username and password under settings -> general -> network -> edge -> DELETE the username and password.

ive been running it on rogers canada like this for a week and 0kB over rogers wireless, just using wifi

I dont have that setting on my phone! :S I am on firmware 1.0.2. Should it be there??

this is an on going problem - EDGE settings do not show up for everyone on their iPhones - including mine -

you can disable it, but you have to do it with SSH (edit the network Prefs file and delete the APN server - then it can't connect anymore -

maybe someone should write an app that allows you to edit the EDGE settings outside of the regular "Settings->Network" area

Quote Originally Posted by ben8jam View Post
    this is an on going problem - EDGE settings do not show up for everyone on their iPhones - including mine -

you can disable it, but you have to do it with SSH (edit the network Prefs file and delete the APN server - then it can't connect anymore -

maybe someone should write an app that allows you to edit the EDGE settings outside of the regular "Settings->Network" area
    I have the SSH program to do this, can you give me some steps and commands on how to get this done? I am kinda new to SSH. Does this disable it for good? or only until I shut down the phone?

Quote Originally Posted by uwnit View Post

Good to hear! I am running AT&T pay-n-go right now and don't have these settings to turn off EDGE. Found out the hard way when the wireless went down during d/l'ing email! But going home to Canada next week to use rogers SIM - I'll lock into wifi up there until rogers get an umlimited plan...

Would be nice to switch it off somehow for pay-n-go. Is T-Mobile the same?

Yeah, delete the user name or just mess with the settings and misspell the location of the edge network.

these are the steps i found on another forum, but oddly enough that thread was removed - luckily i had copy and pasted them - any Admins reading this, maybe add this into a guide, i've copy and pasted this a bunch of times into different threads for people on this board - it's confusing that the EDGE settings dont appear for everyone...

i edited them for just disabling

2. ssh into your iphone
    3. cd /var/root/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration
    3.5. copy (or duplicate) preferences.plist to preferences.plist.orig (to make a backup)
    4. download preferences.plist to your desktop and open in plain text editer
    5. search for "cingular"
    6. This should bring you to a code chunk that has the following
    <key>apn</key>
    <string>wap.cingular</string>
    <key>password</key>
    <string>CINGULAR1</string>
    <key>username</key>
    <string>[email protected]</string>
    7. replace wap.cingular with 'nowhere' (no quotes, and you can basically type anything in there)
    8. Save and upload to the phone
    9. reboot phone and now it should tell you it can't find EDGE network -
    10. when you want to get back onto EDGE, simply SSH into phone, goto the respective directory, rename preferences.plist to preferences.plist.off and then rename the .orig file back to the original name (by removing the .orig) and the reboot and you will be able to reconnect...

sorry if confusing, hope that helps...

b

Worked beautifully! many thanks

Hey can someone help me out? I would really appreciate it. I unlocked my phone and really need to prevent it from going on the edge networks. Using the above instructions provided, how do I access those files. What do I have to do to access them. Can someone explain them more easily for me. Thanks A BUNCH!1!!!

Quote Originally Posted by unrealism View Post

Thanks
    I think you found it on the news regarding iphone versions for europe where a lot of cool additions have been added along with the EDGE toggle.

i love the TV out there too though.. gosh why are american models always late/different than UK models

Quote Originally Posted by iphonr View Post
    Hey can someone help me out? I would really appreciate it. I unlocked my phone and really need to prevent it from going on the edge networks. Using the above instructions provided, how do I access those files. What do I have to do to access them. Can someone explain them more easily for me. Thanks A BUNCH!1!!!
    oh gosh, if you dont know how to ssh into or from your phone your in deep SH!t..

you will get the hang of it though if you just read the wiki guides to do ssh
    Last edited by cipher0925; 09-22-2007 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

where can i find the wiki guide for ssh Please help! What is ssh!!!?!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to iphonr For This Useful Post:

steeleclipse (11-04-2007)

Thanks for the help. Should this be in a location where it is more easily found?

Default disable edge
    worked for me using ibrickr for windows to get the file out of the phone, replicate it and edit to disable the edge network and write it back to the phone.

i posted the solution i use which allows you to enable/disable on the fly (i only included my AT&T settings) here if interested.
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5753

You need to have Tapp installed to use this.

Cheers!

There is an app called "Services" version 0.6.7 by Chris Hoffman that I have downloaded using "Installer". It is a great app that allows me control over which connection to be on or off (Edge, Bluetooth, Wifi and SSH).

Thanks

in iBrickr and Installer.app, there is now an app called "Services" and it has toggle switches to control WiFi, Bluetooth, SSH, and EDGE.

EDIT: sorry, just realized that this has already been mentioned
    Asif J Ahmed