Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Household with 3 iPhones linksys router strange question

Unhappy Household with 3 iPhones linksys router strange question
    When I look at who is connected to
    my router I see all of my computers and their names. I see 2 blank and one that says xxxxx's iPhone. (this is the same name as in itunes). Why would the 2 other phones not be showing their names? I have compared them all and don't see a difference. Any suggestions

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I don't have an answer for you but I am wondering why it matters unless your other 2 iphones are having connection issues.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

This is one of those times to say if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Thanks

The other phones arent showing the names perhaps because you need to name them. Did the person who's iphone name shows up, rename it in the router? I have a crappy Actiontec verizon fios router and the iphones connect as new-host, new-host1, etc... We have 4 iphones here. I renamed my phone then the others kept their "new-host" names, so I renamed then as well. You may have to do the samy with your Linksys router.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

thanks I'll try that. The reason I was wondering is I do allow my poor neighbors to connect to my router. They always call me to let me know. I just like to keep a watch on them. When I saw the blanks I was confused as to who it was at first. And No she did not rename it through router

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SeptemberC View Post
    thanks I'll try that. The reason I was wondering is I do allow my poor neighbors to connect to my router. They always call me to let me know. I just like to keep a watch on them. When I saw the blanks I was confused as to who it was at first. And No she did not rename it through router
    If you have other woreless devices connecting intermittently it can mess up the naming schemes. I had issues everytime my oldest came home from college with his iphone and laptop. I finally made a connection with my problems connecting and his visits. I noticed that when this would happen, the router had changed my iPhone's ip address. When I gave my iPhone a name the ip seems to stay static.
    You dont mention problems with connectivity so if you dont have any its no big deal as Poseidon said.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.