+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Fax/Modem

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have researched Google, MMi, and many other sites, and all the information I'm finding is old information, and so I'm looking to find an update to this question. Can
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default iPhone Fax/Modem
    I have researched Google, MMi, and many other sites, and all the information I'm finding is old information, and so I'm looking to find an update to this question.

Can you use your iPhone, while in its respective cradle, to send a fax.

For example. I have a complex copy/fax/scanner here at my desk, and the computer has the driver, (of course) to 'print to fax', which allows you to specify the phone number, and it uses my machine to send the fax.

Also, available, obviously, is for me to use my desktop machine, as a completely stand-alone machine, and fax with the machine just plugged into the wall.

HOWEVER, I, presumably along with lots of others, don't have home phone service. I don't have that luxury. And paying money, to do it, seems ridiculous. I don't want an internet fax service that I must pay for, to 'receive faxes as emails, I would just like to 'put in the fax number on the given *tethered* program on my PC, and it actually takes ATDT control of my phone, and it handshakes over the air to the remote fax machine, and sends the data as necessary...

So, after checking for updates on the web, App Store, mmi, etc, I haven't seen any updates for this.

Are there any? Is it possible to send, from my iPhone's phone number, and phone, a plain old fax, while its sitting in its dock, acting like a good ole external data/fax modem. (Data removed)

Thanks to all in the community, and hope to hear some positive answers to this!

-Prestone

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Nothing out to do it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Do 'we' know if its impossible because of some limitations with the phone, or networks we use, (as far as accomplishing the handshake, etc)

Or just doesn't seem to be any real reason for someone to build an app. (I would think it would need to be a JB app, I can't imagine Apple would allow you to use the phone in such a way, especially while its sitting in the cradle, all happy like, on your desk...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I work in telcom and doing faxing and modem over any compressed audio codec is hard enough. I can't imagine the outcome over a cell network.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

I should be do-able. I used to have a Treo and had an app that would let me fax documents, worked fairly good.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

would love it also

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Faxing over O2 is possible, i use my nokia via bluetooth from my mac,
    but I too would like a solution to use my iPhone instead.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

hmm. shame this died... interesting.
    Don't forget to say THANKS!

J.D.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

There are some apps in the appstore now that do a good job

10. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

ImpliedConsent (10-01-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    There are some apps in the appstore now that do a good job
    I see several that seem to do something akin to email-to-fax gateway, via their private servers, but I can't seem to find anything that either

a) allows your phone to function as a fax machine directly (send faxes using the cellular phone line, as a modem)

or b) allow your phone to act as a fax modem for an attached computer (your phone shows up as a fax modem using such and such provided driver on the computer)

Do you know of anything that exists and falls into either of those categories? I'd really love to have something in category a - allowing me to fax directly from my phone (say, as a PDF) or receive faxes directly to my phone (ie, store incoming fax transmissions as a PDF).

That would rock so hard.

Default Faxing...
    Hi, I have also the same need : How can i send fax with my brother MFC (bluetooth or Wifi connected) with no phone line, only my iphone and my MacBook connected to free Wifi Hotspots....

I am sure that the K800i can do that but why not the iPhone ?

Any idea ?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I used to connect my motorola razr years before the iphone even came out to my laptop and use winfax to send faxes using the phone as a fax modem. this is bull that i cant use the iphone as a simple cell modem but tether it to my laptop and use the 3g to play xbox live!!!!!!