Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
General iPhone Chatforums, a part of the
Currently I a Windows Mobile 6 phone thru verizon wireless. I have pondering the iphone for some time now and i may wanna make the swtich. I have a few...
04-10-2009, 01:07 AM #1NOOB Wanting to get a iPhone..What should I do to prepare?
Currently I a Windows Mobile 6 phone thru verizon wireless. I have pondering the iphone for some time now and i may wanna make the swtich. I have a few questions to ask, so when i buy it i can come right home and get to work with it.
I am mainly switching to the iphone for the APP'S
1). I have a 80 gig ipod and don't plan on loading much music to the iphone. Would the 8 gig be enough for me?( 8gig at 99.99 or get a 16 white refurb for 199.99?)
2. What is the best version of firmware to have?
a)If I buy a iPhone 3g from Att what firmware should it have? I heard the 3.0 cannot be jail broken
3. What is the best jail break software and version out there?
4. What are the best can't do without apps?
5. Best app to use to send and receive free SMS and MMS?
6. If you find a good app on the AppStore can you download the full version anywhere else for FREE to try it before you buy it? (ie torrent site or somewhere else?)
7. What is a good slim clear protective case or a 100% cover clear film to buy and use?
8. Once you have everything installed and your iphone just the way you want it, is there software to image your iphone should if you have to wipe it, you don't have to reinstall all your 3rd party apps over again just restore it to that saved image of your iphone?
9. Anything I am missing?
Last edited by ClintCbrGuy; 04-10-2009 at 01:15 AM.
04-10-2009, 01:19 AM #2
1. 8 gig would probably be enough if your doing just apps, if you get a 16g you only have about 14g to use, the other 2 is for other ****
2. 2.2.1 Jailbroken
3. newest quickpwn
4. depends on what you do, imo myspace lol and pandora
5. idk i use ireal... but thats not free.
6. yes, but that would be against the rules of this website to post anything like that on this website.
7. i use the incipio rubber case and no screen protection w/ no scratches since October, but anything at an at&t store is good.
8. yeah, itunes will back up your iphone for you.
9. imo, wait for the new rumored iphone that is coming out. you can get it for the 2yr contract price and save yourself hundreds.
04-10-2009, 07:20 AM #3
If you are planning on using the phone on AT&T then FW 2.21 jailbroken with Quickpwn 2.2-5 - Do NOT use the 'latest' version from www. quickpwn .com which is nothing to do with the Dev-Team and is a badly hacked version of the real thing.
If you get the 16Gb version you will be able to carry more of your music - why would you want to carry your iPod as well as your iPhone, it's up to you, with no music an 8Gb should be plenty but once you have it you will probably find you use it for your music as well. Maybe not.
Most apps come with trials or lite versions. Although there are ways of downloading cracked apps I really wouldn't recommend it.
For SMS there is iReal or BiteSMS (which I use), neither are free nor is SwirlyMMS which is the only MMS solution available at the moment
I do not use a case.
iTunes will backup and restore all your apps from the App store - it will not backup and restore Cydia apps - there is anm app in cydia to do this but does not restore settings, it just downloads all the cydia apps again to save you doing it manually.
Winterboard from Cydia is used to customise but personally I found it slowed my iPhone down to much so I stick with standard.
Have fun.He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.
04-10-2009, 07:30 AM #4
04-10-2009, 07:32 AM #5
04-10-2009, 09:13 AM #6
Looking over iReal and BiteSMS, do these use ATT sms to send out the message or does it use the data plan so you do not get hit with a txt message charge?
The reason i ask is that i do not wanna pay 20.00 fot ult txt and I just want to get a txt package to cover the txt's coming in and I wanna do free out
Last edited by ClintCbrGuy; 04-10-2009 at 09:21 AM.
04-10-2009, 09:48 AM #7
Don't you get texts included in your plan?
AFAIK no carriers in the US or Europe (in fact, I don't know of any carriers that do) support SMS over GPRS
Over the years there have been various web based text messaging services but none are still going now that I know of.
Here in the UK most plans include texts. I pay just over £20/month for 900 minutes OR 1800 texts OR 900 MMS or any combination of the 3 unlimited data.
It's enough for me.
Last edited by confucious; 04-10-2009 at 09:52 AM.He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.
04-10-2009, 10:00 AM #8