+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How To Fix Broken Ringer/Silent Switch

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Alright so Ive been seeing alot of people asking for an app to fix a broken ringer/silent switch, well to be honest with you all, its not going to happen.
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default How To Fix Broken Ringer/Silent Switch
    Alright so Ive been seeing alot of people asking for an app to fix a broken ringer/silent switch, well to be honest with you all, its not going to happen. The switch is a hardware switch.

So first off, you need to be willing to open your iphone up. Its not very difficult to do.
    Things youll need:
    #00 screwdriver philips (can get for under $5)
    a new iPhone OEM Headphone Audio Jack Cable (can be found on ebay for less than $20 including shipping)
    ipod opening tools (around $25 - $30) or flat blade screwdriver and razor blade

here is a walkthrough on how to remove the back and it shows where all the screws are located.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone/H...ne-Jack/105/3/

this is a guide, you can use their tools or a razor blade and a small flat blade screwdriver works well if you dont want to spend $25 - $30 to buy the tools.

Follow along the guide above and just do one step at a time.

I find it is best to label or mark somehow on where each screw came from so when it comes to putting it back together you know where they all go and none get mixed up.

Take Out Sim Card Tray
    So basically just pop antenna cover off
    remove 3 screws holding back down and pop that off
    remove screws holding the headphone, switches, etc down
    gently peel up the flex cable that attaches power switch to rest of unit,
    youll have to pull the little metal piece off your original ringer switch and place it on the new one, there is a small piece of plastic on the new one just pull it off and there is tape underneath to hold the new one down.
    screw everything down, leaving power switch for last, then remove piece of plastic that is on the flex cable and tape it back down to where it was.
    Screw down the power button
    snap the back on again and replace the 3 screws
    replace antenna cover

You can now use your ringer/silent switch once again.

To do this it took me like an hour, most of my time was spent trying to figure out how to get the antenna cover off. Its not screwed down at all so it just takes so work, its down pretty good so dont get discouraged if it takes a bit. Once I had that off though it was a piece of cake.
    Last edited by kcisjojo; 04-08-2008 at 07:13 AM.
    16 GB 1.1.4 Ziphone Unlocked, Activated, Jailbroken
    If I helped you make sure to hit the thanks button

[How To] Customize on 1.1.3 and 1.1.4......Windows Guide...............OS X Guide

How To Fix A Broken Ringer/Silent Switch

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kcisjojo For This Useful Post:

iPhonePackers (11-04-2009), shawnhale05 (08-20-2008), vincenttak95 (07-15-2010)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I had to fix this very problem. I have disassembled many dozens of cellphones, smartphones, PDA phones, and always prided myself on leaving them with nary a tool mark. However, I found it almost impossible to open my iPhone even after watching the PDAParts video on Youtube and reading that guide on ifixit. The PDAParts video makes it look ridiculously easy, there must be some subtle trick I'm missing. The plastic part comes out easily enough and is not a problem. The metal back, I had a very hard time removing. It was possible to pry up the back a little to get a case opening tool in, but that metal case quickly chewed up and destroyed my nylon case opening tool. I won't go into my horror story, but a sliced up thumb, a lot of blood loss, and 3-hours later, I finally had the thing open. It's got stress marks, tool marks, and didn't fit back together as well as before I opened it.

So what's the trick? Did I use the wrong tool? I used one identical to the one on this site, not the green one sold specifically for iPods/iPhones. I also tried scrap credit cards with the edges filed down sharp when the iPhone destroyed my case opening tool. That works great for plastic phones, but the iPhone just chewed them up.

Thanks

I used the tools from ifixit, but trying to remove the antenna cover broke one of them. To get the metal back off, first remove the screws and then i used a small flat screwdriver and pried the back up just enough so i could slide something in the outside edges, i did that back and forth no each edge and had that part open in less than 5 minutes. Patience is key. If you try to force it chances are you will bend your rear cover.

If you bend your rear cover beyond saving, you can order a new one, Just go to ebay and look for an OEM Rear Iphone cover or something like that and you can order a new one for pretty cheap.
    Last edited by kcisjojo; 03-07-2008 at 11:26 AM. Reason: typo

[How To] Customize on 1.1.3 and 1.1.4......Windows Guide...............OS X Guide

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kcisjojo For This Useful Post:

nikker (04-21-2008)

Thanks

i have given a temporary software solution....search the forum if u want

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

kcisjojo, funny thing is I did have a lot of patience after working on the metal part almost 3-hours, lol! I was able to lift the back enough like you, but I couldn't get my tool to slide very far at all, the case had no give. Next time I'll have to buy the proper green tool, maybe it's a lot better than the blue one I had. Either that or you have a really good technique!

iPhone back covers are something like $35+shipping last time I checked. Kind of expensive considering I got a whole housing for my iMate Jam (aluminum) for $6+shipping from a seller on eBay from Hong Kong. I guess considering the price of the iPhone that's not bad though.

The bad experience I had, it almost seemed it would have been easier and faster just to buy a new back cover and cut the old one off with a Dremel!!!

at004 - glad to see you made a software solution, good to know for next time!

I think the reliability would have been better if instead of a 2-position switch, they just used a momentary switch that you press and hold for 3-seconds to toggle ring/silent.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I'm convinced my headphone jack is screwed up from the inside, anyone have any expertise with the jack? It happened when i put on a case that was too tight and it switched it into headphones mode. It's not the common software problem everyone is having, i'm pretty sure its just something that got "pushed in"
    If I help you out, help me out by clicking the button

Livin the iPhone Life heath_rox's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by at004 View Post
    believe it or not but most of the ringer switch brakings happen when the phones on silent so your idea is useless
    "Its better to be a pirate than join the navy"Steve Jobs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheHK View Post
    I'm convinced my headphone jack is screwed up from the inside, anyone have any expertise with the jack? It happened when i put on a case that was too tight and it switched it into headphones mode. It's not the common software problem everyone is having, i'm pretty sure its just something that got "pushed in"
    This part will fix a headphone jack. It is all one part that does the power switch, ringer switch, headphone jack and volume.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi, I followed your guide, and it all worked, the switch is working now. But, there's a problem.

When there's a headphone in the iPhone, it thinks that there's not.
    And when there isn't a headphone in the iPhone, it thinks there is.

Does someone know a solution?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Privento View Post
    Hi, I followed your guide, and it all worked, the switch is working now. But, there's a problem.

When there's a headphone in the iPhone, it thinks that there's not.
    And when there isn't a headphone in the iPhone, it thinks there is.

Does someone know a solution?

Thanks in advance.
    No idea, I have never heard of this happening before.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey I've ordered the part from ebay but I am unsure if maybe the switch hat is broken or the switch itself. The switch hat is the button on the case itself and the switch is attached to that headphone jack assembly which i ordered. My switch is lose. It just slides freely back and forth between silent and loud but the phone is stuck in loud. Could the silent button be broken or would it be the switch behind it. I am only asking because i think there should still be some feel in the switch it should not just glide back and forth.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am curious if and how you solved the problem, because exactly the same thing happened to me:

- headphone inserted, phone acts if it is not there
    - headphone not inserted, phone acts as if it is there.

So it is not stuck in one state, but behave opposite to what it is supposed to.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nilberg View Post
    I am curious if and how you solved the problem, because exactly the same thing happened to me:

- headphone inserted, phone acts if it is not there
    - headphone not inserted, phone acts as if it is there.

So it is not stuck in one state, but behave opposite to what it is supposed to.
    I have exactly the same problem. It seems that the Jack assembly I bought on ebay is the same as the one that was in my iphone, excepted for the jack plug, which seems to have inverted wiring... Can anyone confirm this?

To solve the problem I "manually" reversed the wiring by twisting the metal connections, i.e now, when the jack plug is in, the circuit is closed, and when it is out the circuit is open, and not the other way around as before. For the time being it works, but I don't know for how long...
    Last edited by Alaalaala; 06-06-2008 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am having the exact same problem with two Jack replacments. Replaced the Jack assembly with one from Ebay because the on/off button did not work. Now the new headphone plug works in reverse. Bought another one from another supplier (more expensive) does the same. When I plug-in the old one, it works fine, but the on/off switch still broke. Anybody knows how to fix this issue?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi, like I said, the only way that I could think of was to reverse the way the metal connections work. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures, but basically I twisted the metallic connection that was around the plastic jack casing so that now the two connections make contact when the jack plug is inserted and not the other way around as before. I wrote to the guy on ebay to know if it's a known issue, but he wasn't aware of it.
    Hope this helps.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have a vibrate motor problem in that it sounds horrible and rattles. There is no vibrating going on just a strange sound. I was considering repairing/removing the vibrating motor inside. Does anyone know if there is an affect on just removing the motor itself? I just don't want to have the annoyance of hearing it rattle around inside the phone. If anyone here can PM me if you have any relevant information for me that would be really helpful.

I'm also looking into buying the headphone jack assembly from ebay. It ships from China, just wondering if anyone else has ordered this part and how there installation went.

For those of you who had a vibrate problem, did your rattle when moving the phone???
    Last edited by dieselboy27; 08-04-2008 at 12:11 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Most of the replacement headphone ribbon cables come wired incorrectly. This give the 'headphones' mode when they are not pugged in and vice versa. The solution as touched on earlier in the thread is as follows:-
    Before you fit the cable (or if you have already fitted it - open the case again - should be easier second time around) take a flat head screwdriver - watchmaker type is perfect.
    Hold the headphone socket so that you are looking into the end with the brass fitting which goes around the top and right hand edge. Gently prise this away from the right hand side so that it clears the internal contact breaker. Now that piece is out of the way, use the screwdriver to push the internal part of the breaker towards the left hand side of the socket. It will bend with a bit of effort. This should leave the internal breaker sitting in the centre of the socket. Now, relocate the brass outer contact and put a dab of superglue there to keep it in place as it will be under a slight stress when you insert your headphones. First couple of times you push in the jack it will feel tight, but this gets easier with use. Wait until the superglue has dried before testing. You can test without screwing everything back together, just connect to the motherboard and push in the jack. Be careful, you can easily break the ribbon cable as it is fragile.
    Job done!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

There is another -software- solution for broken volume button. This solution disables the volume buttons (ONLY in 1.1.3 and 1.1.4! NOT 2.0+) and worked perfectly for me.

The original post here: Hackint0sh - View Single Post - [Solution][1.1.3/4 Only] Broken/Stuck Volume Buttons > Disable them by software.

Or the guide copied to my webpage: Bt Creations - iPhone (if the link above does not work)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default broken silent switch, softeware solution?
    Quote Originally Posted by at004 View Post
    I can't seem to find the above, can you post location?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    You can use "Auto Silent" app to disable or bypass iPhone Silent switch. If your switch was broken in silent mode, it will restore all sounds. Then you can use Auto Silent app to put phone into silent mode.
    The app supports iPhone 2G, 3G and 3GS and OS firmware 2.2, 3.0, 3.1

This app can also be used by those people whose silent switch is loose or accidently put phone into silent mode.

Also, there is provision to put phone into silent mode automatically using pre-configured settings in the app or according to appointments in iPhone Calendar.
    More info at iPhone Packers: iPhone dev team

The app can be downloaded through Cydia. You neeed to jail break in order to install Cydia. Search for "How to jailbreak iPhone" on google.