+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need Help Finding Speakers

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
While my request doesn't specificially concern the iPhone, it is because of the iPhone that I need an answer, so I'm hoping someone out there can help me out. I
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Angry Need Help Finding Speakers
    While my request doesn't specificially concern the iPhone, it is because of the iPhone that I need an answer, so I'm hoping someone out there can help me out.

I recently purchased a Mac Mini, and really like it, except for the fact that its built-in speaker leaves much to be desired. I am hoping that some of you out there have some recommendations for some decent shielded speakers to use with it. Ideally, I would like to spend as little as possible while still getting the following:

1. Louder/better sound than Mac Mini built-in speaker.
    2. Shielded so that I don't get that irritating interference "buzzing" when my iPhone 3G (or my wife's Samsung Blackjack) are close to it,

I had some speakers which came with one of our eMachines PC's (which is now dead), but they buzz like mad.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

iPhone? More like MyPhone stereosympathy's Avatar
    Thanks

You could get some of these. It's what I have, a bit pricey but they sound amazing!

Alesis M1 Active 520 75W Active Near-Field Reference Monitor Pair and more Studio Monitors at GuitarCenter.com.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Those do look really nice, but I was really looking for something less expensive.

Upon doing some more searching, I finally hit the right combination of search terms which led me to what might be a cheap solution that will let me stick with the speakers I have for now. Starting with the article posted at iPhone Buzz Kill | Mac|Life, I found the following on Radio Shack's website: Snap-Together Ferrite Choke Core - RadioShack.com

I'm not 100% sure it will work, but for a total cost of around $10, it's worth a shot.

*SIGH* Went to Radio Shack today, got the parts, and came home and set 'em up... No joy. Still just as much interference as ever. Anybody have any cheaper well-shielded speakers to recommend?
    Last edited by Dadditude; 03-01-2009 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life NeoNightmareX's Avatar
    Thanks

If you want a good set of 5.1 speakers buy the Logitech Z-5500. I own these and I LOVE them. Absolutely worth more than I spent for them. I got lucky and paid $220 for them from Dell.com

These are shielded from the static that cell phones cause to many speakers. Trust me, I would know since I own both the speakers and an iPhone. If you are looking for a 2.1 or even a 2.0 set. I suggest go Logitech.

Edit:
    http://www.apple.com/macmini/index.html
    From the Mac Mini site on Apple.com it seems like there's an Optical Out port, so you would need a Toslink/Optical cable to make it work as a 5.1 set.
    Last edited by NeoNightmareX; 03-01-2009 at 06:54 PM.
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store