Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is it possible to install duplicate apps?

Default Is it possible to install duplicate apps?
    Alright I bought Appigo's Todo app legitly, and paid the 10 bucks for it, and I like the app, I use it to keep track of recurring events like bills... that's pretty much the only thing I use it for at the moment. The thing is that now that Im back in school I want to use it to keep track of my school work, but I dont want to have two totally unrelated uses for it on one app. Anyway I downloaded a cracked IPA of the Todo app and tried to install it and see if i could have duplicate apps, and it didn't work. It just replaced the paid app.

I know cracked apps are frowned upon here (I think) but I did pay for it, so... I was wondering if there is a way to be able to have two copies of the same app on one phone?

I dont really know much about plists and all that, so maybe it's a simple solution... or maybe it's not possible.

Anyway can someone help me out? Is it possible or not? And if it is, then how?

Thanks!

yes, no? anyone?

...anyway... i found the answer if anyone is interested.

Change the .ipa extension to .zip, unzip the file then go into the payload folder then into the app name folder, find the Info.plist file, open it with a plist editor or notepad

in the info.plist look for CFBundleDisplayName and CFBundleIdentifier, and change the name of the app in those two fields

for the CFBundleIdentifier, it's something like com.developername.appname, just change the app name to whatever you want

save the info.plist file, then afterwards rezip the payload folder and itunesartwork file and name the folder into newappname.zip, then change the .zip extension to .ipa and then install like you would any other cracked app

hope it helps somebody
    Last edited by iphone49er; 02-08-2009 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iphone49er For This Useful Post:

Lintrix (04-07-2010)

My iPod is a Part of Me bteamer's Avatar
    Thanks

Double post = Bad
    Find = Very good, thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

yeah, can't really do much about thhe double post when nobody else is posting haha

but yeah, hope someone else finds this useful

My iPod is a Part of Me bteamer's Avatar
    Thanks

True.
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by iphone49er View Post
    yes, no? anyone?

...anyway... i found the answer if anyone is interested.

Change the .ipa extension to .zip, unzip the file then go into the payload folder then into the app name folder, find the Info.plist file, open it with a plist editor or notepad

in the info.plist look for CFBundleDisplayName and CFBundleIdentifier, and change the name of the app in those two fields

for the CFBundleIdentifier, it's something like com.developername.appname, just change the app name to whatever you want

save the info.plist file, then afterwards rezip the payload folder and itunesartwork file and name the folder into newappname.zip, then change the .zip extension to .ipa and then install like you would any other cracked app

hope it helps somebody
    This actually helped A LOT. I couldn't find any info on this anywhere else.

I wanted to play an older version of a game i purchased and download the newer version to test out the changes so i needed a duplicate on my phone. Thanks =)