Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Replacing screen/digitizer

Default Replacing screen/digitizer
    I am about to replace the glass & digitizer (the lcd is fine). I have googled extensively for many nights and read countless instruction pages and watched a couple of videos. I does not look that hard (but nothing ever does until you try it). I have a few questions for those who have done this process before:

1) How difficult is it actually? I consider myself pretty technically proficient. I build my own pcs, have hard modded an xbox (ok, this took me a couple of days, but that was only because I suck at soldering), etc. I am still a bit nervous.

2) What should I use for an adhesive? I have seen places selling a special iphone screen tape, but I don't want to wait for shipping (I live in Canada). I won't use crazy glue because of the off gassing.

Im assuming (hoping) your talking about a 3g iphone. Because you cant separate the glass/digi from the LCD on a 2g without breaking it.

I think its fairly easy, but I taken alot of these things apart doing repairs.

And the adhesive they sell online is the best thing to use. Like you said, super glue is a NO and other types of tape are not strong enough and way too thick. There may be something decent to use, but I have always used the adhesive made for it.

If you want a few pics of it....click my sig link.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

balogny (01-28-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Im assuming (hoping) your talking about a 3g iphone. Because you cant separate the glass/digi from the LCD on a 2g without breaking it.

I think its fairly easy, but I taken alot of these things apart doing repairs.

And the adhesive they sell online is the best thing to use. Like you said, super glue is a NO and other types of tape are not strong enough and way too thick. There may be something decent to use, but I have always used the adhesive made for it.

If you want a few pics of it....click my sig link.
    Thanks for the help...will keep you updated.

And yes, it is a 3g.