+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Replacing screen/digitizer

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I am about to replace the glass & digitizer (the lcd is fine). I have googled extensively for many nights and read countless instruction pages and watched a couple of
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Replacing screen/digitizer
    I am about to replace the glass & digitizer (the lcd is fine). I have googled extensively for many nights and read countless instruction pages and watched a couple of videos. I does not look that hard (but nothing ever does until you try it). I have a few questions for those who have done this process before:

1) How difficult is it actually? I consider myself pretty technically proficient. I build my own pcs, have hard modded an xbox (ok, this took me a couple of days, but that was only because I suck at soldering), etc. I am still a bit nervous.

2) What should I use for an adhesive? I have seen places selling a special iphone screen tape, but I don't want to wait for shipping (I live in Canada). I won't use crazy glue because of the off gassing.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Im assuming (hoping) your talking about a 3g iphone. Because you cant separate the glass/digi from the LCD on a 2g without breaking it.

I think its fairly easy, but I taken alot of these things apart doing repairs.

And the adhesive they sell online is the best thing to use. Like you said, super glue is a NO and other types of tape are not strong enough and way too thick. There may be something decent to use, but I have always used the adhesive made for it.

If you want a few pics of it....click my sig link.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

balogny (01-28-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Im assuming (hoping) your talking about a 3g iphone. Because you cant separate the glass/digi from the LCD on a 2g without breaking it.

I think its fairly easy, but I taken alot of these things apart doing repairs.

And the adhesive they sell online is the best thing to use. Like you said, super glue is a NO and other types of tape are not strong enough and way too thick. There may be something decent to use, but I have always used the adhesive made for it.

If you want a few pics of it....click my sig link.
    Thanks for the help...will keep you updated.

And yes, it is a 3g.