Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone locked, don't know lock code... anything to be done?

Default iPhone locked, don't know lock code... anything to be done?
    A close friend has a 1st gen iPhone with a s/w version that "hasn't been updated in about a year and a half" and is now locked and no one knows the lock code to unlock it.

I know I can just restore it and erase it, but we need to get the contacts off of it.

Is there anything that can be done? I've seen the lock screen workaround to access contacts and we're trying that, but I was curious if there's anything to be done from the jailbreaking and/or computer side.

Thanks everyone.

My iPhone is a Part of Me JAG2621's Avatar
    Thanks

Have you tried to SSH into the phone and retrieve the contacts that way? Was it ever synced to a computer because it would have the contacts stored in it?
    If anything was usefull a thanks would be great!

I wish. The phone was never jailbroken so SSH is off and the laptop got lost that it was originally synced to. It hasn't been synced in over a year.

I don't know how people get to this point.

Hunting around online, it looks like a custom RAM disk and using iPHuC may work?

or you can SSH into the phone and delete the tag that houses the password, power off, and when you turn it back on, you won't be locked out.

This is where I'm told it is:
    /private/var/Keychains/keychain-2.db

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bballcat03 For This Useful Post:

smswanie (01-27-2009)

Thanks

The contacts aren't that important if he hasn't backed up in more than a year.
    To live, you have to lie

maybe they are to him? Maybe he has numbers in there he hasn't written down anywhere else?

Yep, unfortunately the contacts are the important thing here, they just haven't been backed up. Dumb, yes I know.

There are a couple of resources online I've found:
    Forgot your iPhone Passcode? Learn to bypass it. | Mac Hoe - iPhones, iPods, Macs and Apple News by a certified Fanboy
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaxSF9EOjxw]YouTube - iPhone Forensics 101: Bypassing the iPhone Passcode[/ame]

I'll try these and see where I end up.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

If you don't know how to use SSH then use iphonebroswer (PC) or diskaid (mac) to delete the password in the directory above.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

smswanie (01-27-2009)

Right, I'd just need to jailbreak it first to get SSH turned on.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Actually I don't think you need to jailbreak in order to access the phone with iphonebrowser or diskaid... correct me if this is not right.

I believe you can only access the Media folder with diskaid. You can access the root folder only if it's jailbroken. At least that's what their FAQ says (my personal 3G is jailbroken, so I don't know).

Jailbreak enables root access. You're sandboxed into media folders on a clean iPhone.