Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What light to use for the phone's back apple light up mod?

Default What light to use for the phone's back apple light up mod?
    I recently got an iphone 3g so I decided to totally pimp out my old iphone. I ordered a gold back and dezel (or however you spell the front silver frame part), when I opened it I decided to do the camera hardware mod (and its AWESOME!!), and now I have to wait until my dad can take me to Lowe's to buy a heat gun to melt the metal parts off the back of the original case.

So while I'm at it I may as well do the infamous back apple logo light up mod. I will need plexiglass for the apple, but what should I use to light it up? Ebay sells iphone lcd's so I can just order that and do what the original Russian guy did, or I can order some LED's from a site.

What should I buy?

Thanks for reading,
    chant

Thanks

Removing the railings I used adhesive remover in a ziplock bag. Worked like a charm. Took about 6 hours and each part came off without damage! I just used a little coat of general adhesive to resecure them into the new cover. It sucked. Good luck.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Its just standard LEDs...and its a turd to do, as there is basically no extra space between the housing and the rest of the phone.

mumra- thanks for the idea I think I will use that

cpjr- I actually found some Led's that are .5mm in fatness on the internet, I think I can put those inside a dent on the actual apple, I am just afraid I lack the skills to attach it properly to the battery.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

As friendly advice....if you arent experienced with it....dont do it.

If you short something out....you could easily fry your phone. Not to mention, you cross wires on a litho-ion battery, and it can explode.

And there's more to installing the LED than just connecting it to the battery, because if you do that...it will stay on constantly. And you need resistors.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Yes. My iPhone got shorted and that was just from replacing the back shell. You will get owned if you are not experienced with soldering and resistors, etc.
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.

alright guys, i wont do it.