Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: For those of you wanting to send MMS...

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,226 Posts

Apparently AT&T or the iPhone does the resize when sending the picture, so all images are reaching the end user at VGA resolution (640x480) and an average of 90 kb.

Is yours not working, DiGiTY, or are you just playing Devil's Advocate?

Here's my relevant header info:

MIME-version: 1.0 (iPhone Mail 1A543a)
    X-Mailer: iPhone Mail (1A543a)
    Content-type: multipart/mixed; boundary=Apple-Mail-1-1020144347

--Apple-Mail-1-1020144347
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    Content-Type: text/plain;
    charset=US-ASCII;
    format=flowed

--Apple-Mail-1-1020144347
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
    Content-Type: image/jpeg;
    name=photo.jpg
    Content-Disposition: inline;
    filename=photo.jpg

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

I never understood what that phrase meant, but i'm pretty sure I don't know the man.

And I'm not trying to challenge you. Just trying to help those who are having trouble getting this to work (I've always hated "I can" posts because they're never really that helpful to the issue at hand).

And I don't own an iPhone.

Here's what I got with AT&T/Cingular MMS message (tested from Blackberry Pearl) to an regular email address (yahoo):

X-Mms-MMS-Version: 18
    X-Nokia-Ag-Internal: ; smiltype=true; internaldate=1183362878779
    Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="----=_Part_2597200_12520367.1183362878787"
    X-Mms-Transaction-ID: 1183362760592
    Mime-Version: 1.0
    X-Mms-Message-Type: 0
    X-Nokia-Ag-Version: 2.0
    Content-Length: 198745

I imagine some (I doubt all of it) of this stuff establishes this as a true MMS message and is handled accordingly by the receiver's carrier or phone.

i doubt Mobile Mail on the iPhone is putting the MMS fields in the header when sending an email with a image attached.

some receiving carriers/phones will try to decode a email from an iPhone (or from any email client for that matter) and display it as MMS anyway, but they aren't always successful
    Last edited by DiGiTY; 07-02-2007 at 04:23 PM.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Devil's advocate is someone who takes a position for the sake of argument. This practice is generally an instructional technique in which one person argues a position that another is less familiar with, thereby teaching proper argument.

What I was saying was, are you actually having an issue with this method, or are you just saying that maybe someone may have an issue somewhere?

yeah, maybe someone may have an issue somewhere.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Ah, cool. Well, until we hear back from someone who is having issues with it, I'll assume its working! Its worked for all Sprint, Verizon, and T-Mobile numbers I've tried so far...

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,275 Times in 652 Posts

and cingular/AT&T

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Yup. So I'm pretty sure its working well!

pf: Having my friends send their text messages to my phone's e-mail address is not acceptable. For one thing, whenever I send THEM a message, they cannot reply; they have to switch to the e-mail address and send the message. This could be a deal breaker for me if they can't fix it. I've been on the phone, off and on, all day with AT&T and Apple. AT&T says I need a new "rounting number" and in fact they gave me one. Now I'm on hold with Apple, trying to figure out how I can utilize this new routing number.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

They have to have MMS enabled on their phones... as long as they do, it should be fine. And this doesn't work for INCOMING MMS, its for outgoing. Although if they MMS something to an email address, it should show up fine on your iPhone. Works a treat on mine, and MMSing from my T-Mo phone to any email address, for that matter.

i feel ya embian

this method indeed works, but the lengths you have to go sucks

don't get me wrong i've been using this method for years. i use it whenever i don't pay my bill on time and Sprint cuts off my service (every other month or so) and i need to contact my gf. i email her phone directly (to [email protected]) from yahoo and she gets it as an text message.

i also use this method when i'm developing and testing my web app which relies on MMS and SMS messaging.

so i've only used this method in emergency/worse case scenario and in debugging situations. to use it as the main and only method is indeed not acceptable. especially for a $600 investment and especially for something that's basically made for teenagers (where MMS and SMS are their number 1 priority)

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Agreed on the $600 and no MMS point...

there's gotta be a iPhone friendly web site out there that sends MMS message for ya

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

I suppose that could be built, although for a site to MMS a phone, it'd have to send an email. And what's more hassle, plugging your buddies number in as an email as well on your iPhone (once) and then sending MMS to there, or browsing to a special site every time you want to send an MMS?

Plus, the iPhone doesn't allow for a file browsing mode, so as far as sending an MMS from a web site, Safari wouldn't allow you to select the image from your iPhone's db... lame, eh?

Well, after bouncing back and forth between Apple Care and AT&T Customer Service, I think I MIGHT have stumbled onto a solution. Apparently, when there's a problem like this, I need to tell the AT&T CS person to connect me to Tech Support. When I FINALLY got to talk to a Tech Support person, she said my problem, while not common, is certainly something that the Tech people know about, and the CS people do not. (AT&T needs to get more info to the CS people, don't they.) Anyhoo, the Tech lady said there is actually an intermediary company that takes text messages from other carriers (Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, etc.) and forwards them on to AT&T customers. Occasionally, this intermediary gets a bad routing number assigned to the AT&T customer (she also said it has to do with the "old" AT&T vs. the "new" AT&T...) and thus they cannot get the messages from other carriers. She said it's VERY solvable, and that she would send an e-mail to this intermediary, noting my account and that within a few days ALL OF MY PROBLEMS IN LIFE WOULD BE SOLVED!!! (Well, maybe only my text messaging problems.)

SO, I'll keep you posted. She said with the 4th of July and everything, it might be more than two days...

Stay tuned. I know I will.

Oh, and btw, in this whole experience, although the AT&T people were helpful (and ultimately the ones I needed to talk to), my highest praise goes to the APPLE CARE people. They actually stayed with me, working for hours on the phone with me, trying to figure the problem out. They even CALLED ME BACK once when they had to turn me over to the AT&T people, just to make sure that AT&T had indeed solved my problem! You know, I can accept having to wait on hold for awhile, if I genuinely feel that the person helping me is somewhat intelligent (speaking english is a good start) AND that they genuinely care about RESOLVING my problem. Hats off to APPLE CARE for really taking the time to make a satisfied customer.
    Last edited by embian; 07-04-2007 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,275 Times in 652 Posts

yeah if you ever dial at&t just ask for the techs right away, CS is useless

Definitely.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So i have been trying to email pictures off my iphone and no one is receiving them.

Even if i forward it to the email address I am using to recieve emails on my phone(which it recieves incoming emails just fine outside of when I sent that email address a email from my phone)

Anyone have a idea?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

I'd call ATT, sounds like a data issue on their side. You're able to send OTHER emails, right?

Quote Originally Posted by embian View Post
    Well, after bouncing back and forth between Apple Care and AT&T Customer Service, I think I MIGHT have stumbled onto a solution. Apparently, when there's a problem like this, I need to tell the AT&T CS person to connect me to Tech Support. When I FINALLY got to talk to a Tech Support person, she said my problem, while not common, is certainly something that the Tech people know about, and the CS people do not. (AT&T needs to get more info to the CS people, don't they.) Anyhoo, the Tech lady said there is actually an intermediary company that takes text messages from other carriers (Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, etc.) and forwards them on to AT&T customers. Occasionally, this intermediary gets a bad routing number assigned to the AT&T customer (she also said it has to do with the "old" AT&T vs. the "new" AT&T...) and thus they cannot get the messages from other carriers. She said it's VERY solvable, and that she would send an e-mail to this intermediary, noting my account and that within a few days ALL OF MY PROBLEMS IN LIFE WOULD BE SOLVED!!! (Well, maybe only my text messaging problems.)

SO, I'll keep you posted. She said with the 4th of July and everything, it might be more than two days...

Stay tuned. I know I will.

Oh, and btw, in this whole experience, although the AT&T people were helpful (and ultimately the ones I needed to talk to), my highest praise goes to the APPLE CARE people. They actually stayed with me, working for hours on the phone with me, trying to figure the problem out. They even CALLED ME BACK once when they had to turn me over to the AT&T people, just to make sure that AT&T had indeed solved my problem! You know, I can accept having to wait on hold for awhile, if I genuinely feel that the person helping me is somewhat intelligent (speaking english is a good start) AND that they genuinely care about RESOLVING my problem. Hats off to APPLE CARE for really taking the time to make a satisfied customer.
    Hi there, I am having an issue with receiving text messaging from people on other services such as Verizon. I am able to receive text messaging from AT&T with no issues. But when someone try to send text messages to me from Verizon, I never receive it. Actually, I still receive it on my old Verizon phone. I called AT&T and they said it's because it takes up to 10 days to fully port over my phone number. I'm not sure if that is BS or not. Does anyone have a resolution to this issue?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Yes, that is just an issue with the porting, and while not common, its also not uncommon. If its still happening in a week, you need to call AT&T and they will contact Verizon and get it fixed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast