+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: is GPS Free in iPhone 3G??

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi there. I just wanna know that is GPS free in iPhone 3G, means that if i am not on Wifi and dont wanna use my 3G internet, is there
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default is GPS Free in iPhone 3G??
    Hi there.

I just wanna know that is GPS free in iPhone 3G, means that if i am not on Wifi and dont wanna use my 3G internet, is there any way that i can access the GPS??

I think GPS is free as far as navigation is concerned as we dont have Internet in our Cars but we can access navigation in cars as the GPS is through the satellites.

Is that i have to use some other app than Google Maps in order to use GPS without 3G or WiFi???

Thanks

yes GPS is free... but you do need google maps to use it... thus requiring Wi-fi or some kind of internet connection.

The reason navigation works in cars(and they dont have an internet connection) is because they do have either a harddrive with a map built in, or they require a CD with the map on it... the iPhone doesnt store the map into long term memory, it simply loads the portion it requires into the cashe memory using the internet connection.
    I wish we could use a large portion of my 16Gig memory to load full city maps into the phone without an internet connection, but thus far we cant. Maybe one day.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Don't you have unlimited 3g Internet access? So why don't you want to use 3g?

Thanks

Thanks for the Info.

No i dont have an unlimited 3g Package as we have the option of getting or not getting the unlimited packages here in Japan.

Also i have researched a bit and came to know that iPhone 3g is not shipped with a GPS chip, thats why it cant use the Satellites to show the locations.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I read somewhere that the japanese version didn;t have the gps hip (as you said) because of some sort of law/regulation there. it is sad really, one of the only reasons to own a 3G over 2G in my opinion, especially without unlimited 3G internet
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

i dont think this is only in Japan, as far as i know all the iPhone 3g dont have the GPS chip. iPhone 3g is a GPS device coz of its Internet capability

Green Apple
    Thanks

the iphone 3g doesn't have gps, and they technically shouldn't be calling it that.. the correct term is a "location aware smartphone"... meaning it uses cell towers to determine your location.. not satellites.. just to clarify
    -Eric

-White iPhone 3GS 32GB. (For SALE)
    -15" MacBook Pro. Aluminum.

Thanks

It does have a GPS chip, but some countries (I believe Japan included) would not allow it. The chip is bundled or built in with one of the other antennas (I do not remember which at the moment but I can take a look if anyway REALLY cares) The 2G is the one that doesnt have a GPS chip but there is a triangulation feature based on where cell towers are, but the 3G actually uses true GPS

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/imag..._gps_01_sm.jpg

The best image I was able to find (although I didn't search too long, LOL)
    Last edited by sziklassy; 01-04-2009 at 11:29 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    It does have a GPS chip, but some countries (I believe Japan included) would not allow it. The chip is bundled or built in with one of the other antennas (I do not remember which at the moment but I can take a look if anyway REALLY cares) The 2G is the one that doesnt have a GPS chip but there is a triangulation feature based on where cell towers are, but the 3G actually uses true GPS

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/imag..._gps_01_sm.jpg

The best image I was able to find (although I didn't search too long, LOL)
    Well if it has a GPS chip then its really interesting, as hardware is there someone can develop a software for it.

But if it has the GPS chip in it, why the other companies are making an external GPS chips for it??

Thanks

^I believe the third-party companies make the external GPS chips for the 2G phone, not the 3G.
    Respect your elders.

Thanks

From what I have read, the external GPS was modeled for the 2G (there was talk about it before the 3G was even announced), and there still are more 2G users than 3G users. I have read that the chip is weak, however I have had no issues. I have a garmin nuvi and it pinpoints me on the spot; running it next to the 3G they are essentially identical. An easy way to test my theory is load the maps (you will see the blue pinging where you are) then pop it into airplane mode. The dot will still move with where you are moving (in my example I did it in the car) until it moves off the part of the map you have downloaded. I suppose it is also possible that the way the license is written (I have not read it) thrid parties cannot use the chip with their programs, therefore their way around it may be to supply their own chip. This is just a theory, but again from all that I read and from personal experience (wireless internet and cell reception turned off) the GPS is still spot-on.

Thanks

thats amazing, means we can use iPhone 3g as a car navigation as long as we have downloaded maps on iPhone.

Still waiting for a good GPS software for iPhone. Please tell me if anyone of u know abt any good software.

Thanks

The problem is that there are companies (TomTom and Garmin) that say they already have working software, however Apple won't let it pass. I know little information beyond this, unfortunately

I am waiting for this too, as I would happily sell my garmin, so long as I was able to get turn-by-turn directions on my phone. Honestly, I would even be happy if I still needed to download the maps off the net while I drive so long a5s turn by turn is there.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 01-05-2009 at 12:01 AM.

Thanks

GPS is free if you are on a WiFi network of your own, Or of a hotspot.

However if you are out and about in the streets with no WiFi connectivity, Your phone will fallback to your Service Provider's data network (3G), And the phone will retrieve the necessary data and information relating to the GPS from there, Thus costing money if you are not already on a data plan with your provider.

Thanks

maybe GPS is free to get ya located, but can ya directly read out longitude and latitude? so you need network to load google maps... i think so...

Thanks

lets hope we get some free software for GPS that can use GPS chip directly and get the data from Satellites instead of Internet