+ Reply
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: If I bought a new 3G from AT&T will it come with FW2.1?

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Just as the title says. I want to purchase a 3G from AT&T and immediately cancel the contract so I can use it on tmobile, but Im afraid that it
...
  1. #1
    Livin the iPhone Life reznor9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,010
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 117 Times in 83 Posts

    Default If I bought a new 3G from AT&T will it come with FW2.1?
    Just as the title says.
    I want to purchase a 3G from AT&T and immediately cancel the contract so I can use it on tmobile, but Im afraid that it may come with the new 2.2 firmware which we all know can not be unlocked. So what are the chances it will come with 2.1 firmware?

    reason Im asking is I have an 8GB 3G with a busted screen... not sure if its worth it to fix(about $85 for parts) or get a new one.

  2. #2
    plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    11,691
    Thanks
    181
    Thanked 1,460 Times in 1,264 Posts

    There's NO way of telling if you'll get 2.1 or 2.2, all depends on how much stock the store had before 2.2 was released.

    And, it'd be way worth repairing the screen versus buying a new phone and paying the early terminiation fee (which is more than a new screen).
    Last edited by cpjr; 12-26-2008 at 06:59 PM.

  3. #3
    Livin the iPhone Life reznor9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,010
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 117 Times in 83 Posts

    I just spoke to a rep on the phone for ATT and they said I do have 30 days to cancel to avoid the ETF.. but there would be a 10% restocking fee on the phone... I asked what would if I didnt return the phone and she played dumb for like 10 mins and kept putting me on hold. Finally came back and said I would have to pay the full price of the phone which she said was $399 or $499 depending on the model... not sure if she was being truthful. Might have to call again and get a 2nd opinion.
    Last edited by reznor9; 12-26-2008 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  4. #4
    Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    4,825
    Thanks
    551
    Thanked 515 Times in 427 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by reznor9 View Post
    I just spoke to a rep on the phone for ATT and they said I do have 30 days to cancel to avoid the ETF.. but there would be a 10% restocking fee on the phone... I asked what would if I didnt return the phone and she played dumb for like 10 mins and kept putting me on hold. Finally came back and said I would have to pay the full price of the phone which she said was $399 or $499 depending on the model... not sure if she was being truthful. Might have to call again and get a 2nd opinion.
    If you keep the phone passed the 30 days you only pay the ETF.

  5. #5
    plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    11,691
    Thanks
    181
    Thanked 1,460 Times in 1,264 Posts

    Yeah you can return it and pay a restocking fee......but if you keep it Im pretty sure the early termination fee is about $175.

  6. #6
    Livin the iPhone Life reznor9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,010
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 117 Times in 83 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    If you keep the phone passed the 30 days you only pay the ETF.
    talked to a 2nd rep and they confirmed that you can cancel and keep the phone within the first 30 days, but you have to pay the EFT... oh well. That makes my choice easy now.. fix the LCD. Thanks

  7. #7
    plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    11,691
    Thanks
    181
    Thanked 1,460 Times in 1,264 Posts

    If the glass on your 3g isnt busted and the digitizer is working 100% (the touch functions properly).....then all you need is a new LCD which I have bought for around $88, and IMO are very easy to replace.

  8. #8
    Livin the iPhone Life reznor9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,010
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 117 Times in 83 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    If the glass on your 3g isnt busted and the digitizer is working 100% (the touch functions properly).....then all you need is a new LCD which I have bought for around $88, and IMO are very easy to replace.
    LOL... Originally it was just the screen that was cracked. Cost me $25 for a new glass and digitizer.. I removed the screen, disconnected the cables and started removing screws from the sides. I got the two from one side, the one from the top portion and then started working on the 3 on the other side.. two came out and the last one stripped(probably my fault for using a crap walmart bought screwdriver)...
    Anyways, I went to Home Depot and bought a good set of precision tools.. but it was too late. In my 3 hour duel with the screw trying all kinds of ways to outsmart it, I decided to grab the screen and try to use a lot of pressure on the screw to try and slowly turn the screw hoping to somehow make an impression. Turns out I screwed myself and I cracked the LCD! So what used to be a usuable 3G with a small hairline crack is now a 3G with a cracked LCD(so unusable at the moment). I wanted to smash the damn thing afterwards, but just ended up going to bed pissed off. LOL
    So now I have the new screen and digitizer still in the wrapping... neeed to order the LCD tomorrow... and thinking of getting a pink back casing(this is my wifes iPhone).
    Im probably going to send it in to One1 because the screw is still stripped and still hasnt come out and Im totally clueless on what to do about it.
    Last edited by reznor9; 12-26-2008 at 08:35 PM.

  9. #9
    plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    11,691
    Thanks
    181
    Thanked 1,460 Times in 1,264 Posts

    ^You must mean one of the screws in the side railing? Meh, I'd drill it out with a tiny drillbit. Those screws are so tiny it should come to pieces rather easy. Since you've already messed up the LCD nothing to worry about there ...just be careful not to screw the rail up, but I doubt you'd have a problem.

    And the casing would be cool too, just got done swapping a 3g I got with a red one....and a new LCD (imagine that).

  10. #10
    Livin the iPhone Life reznor9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,010
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 117 Times in 83 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    ^You must mean one of the screws in the side railing? Meh, I'd drill it out with a tiny drillbit. Those screws are so tiny it should come to pieces rather easy. Since you've already messed up the LCD nothing to worry about there ...just be careful not to screw the rail up, but I doubt you'd have a problem.

    And the casing would be cool too, just got done swapping a 3g I got with a red one....and a new LCD (imagine that).
    what really irks me is that the process is so simple... once that screw was out I just need to slide out the LCD, seperate the glass from the plasic that holds the button(probably need a hairdryer since I dont have a heatgun) and just replace and reassemble. I was so confident about it when I started... but now Im scared that Ill mess up again. And Im usually pretty good when it comes to taking things apart. Ive disassembled and fixed 2 first gen iPhones with no problem aside from bending the aluminum casing a little bit... of course it bends back for the most part.

  11. #11
    plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    11,691
    Thanks
    181
    Thanked 1,460 Times in 1,264 Posts

    ^You are talking about a 3G right? If so, no glass to mess with or button.....the LCD sits on a rail, thats what your trying to remove now. Once the last screw is out, the LCD slides out from the digitizer and glass assembly...then you "peel" the LCD off the rail frame and apply the new LCD back in its place (should have tape on it already) and screw the rail back into place.

    Aside from having problems with screws ....could be done in 20 minutes.

  12. #12
    Livin the iPhone Life reznor9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,010
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 117 Times in 83 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    ^You are talking about a 3G right? If so, no glass to mess with or button.....the LCD sits on a rail, thats what your trying to remove now. Once the last screw is out, the LCD slides out from the digitizer and glass assembly...then you "peel" the LCD off the rail frame and apply the new LCD back in its place (should have tape on it already) and screw the rail back into place.

    Aside from having problems with screws ....could be done in 20 minutes.
    Yes. Like I said before I still have to swap out the screen and digitizer as well as the LCD. So I have to seperate the plastic part with the rails and home button from the cracked screen as well. Should be an easy job. I think tomorrow I'll drill out that screw and at least finish the job of replacing the screen and digitizer. Then by the time the LCD comes in I'll be good to go. Just slide in the LCD, reapply screws. Reconnect cables 1,2 and 3.. Then snap the sceen back into place.
    I did tear one part of the rubber gasket that runs around the screen. Didn't see that coming. Hopefully it's no big whoop.

  13. #13
    plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    11,691
    Thanks
    181
    Thanked 1,460 Times in 1,264 Posts

    ^Oh thats right, forgot you stated the glass was messed up. Course, thats what started all this

    Either way...yeah its not a bad job.

    And dont worry about tearing the little gasket around the edges, its not a big deal you'll never notice....just be careful cause the main purpose of that is to "seal" so it will be a little easier for moisture to leak in.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts