Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Gmail?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

Default Gmail?
    Anyone using Gmail on the iPhone?

I'm getting both my replies and the actual messages in my inbox. You?

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Ha yes. Ive been on the phone with Apple Support for 110:20 waiting for an answer. No one has had the answer yet.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Nice.

Thanks

This is a general problem with POP E-mail access in Gmail -- I've run into it too.

The problem is, with Gmail's POP access, Gmail marks any newly appearing messages as mail that needs to be sent through the POP connection. So your new mail gets sent through the POP connection. And when you reply to an E-mail, your reply appears in your sent mail. But Google sees it as a new message that appeared, and sends it through POP.

So. Frustrating.

I got around it in my E-mail clients by setting up a filter to send any E-mails from myself to the Sent Items box. It worked, but there should totally be a better solution. Especially now, because the iPhone has no E-mail filters! D:

But yeah -- this is a Gmail issue, not an Apple or AT&T issue.

how bout setting up a filter to delete any mail sent by you to automatically delete from within Gmail....

that way you wont see your sent messages in your 'Inbox' instead they get sent to your 'Trash'

hope that helps

on a slightly different not but still concerning gmail:

is there a way to change the sender address?

for example, i couldnt set up my work address ( [email protected] for example) so i set that email address to forward to my gmail account.....

however, now when i send from my iPhone is shows the message from [email protected] when i want it [email protected].

I already set up gmail to have the default sender from the @mywork.com address but it doesnt work on the iPhone.

anyone have an idea?

thanks for the help
    Last edited by skeredmobile; 07-01-2007 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Your best bet is to set up the work account as an account on your iPhone. The iPhone doesn't support GMails advanced features, like send from a specific account, or filters.

The only thing about setting up a filter to delete mail from yourself in GMail is then you no longer have your sent mail archived... and I like to have both saved. Incoming and outgoing...
    Last edited by Kyle Matthews; 07-01-2007 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    Your best bet is to set up the work account as an account on your iPhone. The iPhone doesn't support GMails advanced features, like send from a specific account, or filters.

The only thing about setting up a filter to delete mail from yourself in GMail is then you no longer have your sent mail archived... and I like to have both saved. Incoming and outgoing...

yea thats what i figured about the sender option....ill just deal with it becuase my work account needs to be able to change the port numbers or it doesnt. right now its not recognizing my username/password when everything is correct.....anybody figure how to edit port numbers? no worries if not

as the the sent mail in the Inbox issue. I actually also wanted a copy of the sent mail so instead of creating a filter to send the 'Trash' I set it up to "Skip Inbox" and I applied a new label which I called "Sent via iPhone)

that should also temp. fix the issue at hand

hope that helps

Im got an e-mail addy from this site..

www.myiphoneemail.com

I found them on a google search, thought it would be fun to have an iphone email addy

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

I love Joomla and random domain names.

Heh, I didnt even notice it was joomla, oh well, whats wrong with that... (havent messed with joomla much myself)

oh well there service works...

now all I need to do is actually GET an iphone... hoping to get one next week !

i read on hofo that if you turn off the recent setting under the advance settings that it fixes it...im trying it now. but i have no clue what its for or how it fixes it.