+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PLEASE HELP! Too Much "Other"

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I've got an 8gb iPhone that until yesterday had about 1.4 gb of space left on it. I'm not sure what I did but now it only has 318mb left
    iPhone? More like MyPhone GADeputy's Avatar
    Thanks

Default PLEASE HELP! Too Much "Other"
    I've got an 8gb iPhone that until yesterday had about 1.4 gb of space left on it. I'm not sure what I did but now it only has 318mb left and shows "Other" as being almost 3GB in iTunes. I was messing around with iPhone PC Suite and using it to backup my contacts to my PC and after I was done I noticed that all of my space on my phone was gone. I verified that my backup was indeed on my PC and nowhere else. Anyone have any clue how I can get my space back without doing a restore and starting over?

I did notice that there's a directory on my iPhone called "Stash" that I don't remember seeing before. There seems to be a copy of a lot of my apps located in it. Is that supposed to be there or should I delete it?

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Stash is where Cydia stores all it's apps and programs. The fact that you were "messing around" with system files and all of a sudden you lost a gig of space is not a good sign. Your best option would be to restore to 2.2. Set up the phone as new in iTunes, then resync your contacts... then redownload everything again manually.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Stash is where Cydia stores all it's apps and programs. The fact that you were "messing around" with system files and all of a sudden you lost a gig of space is not a good sign. Your best option would be to restore to 2.2. Set up the phone as new in iTunes, then resync your contacts... then redownload everything again manually.
    I wasn't messing around with system files, I was messing around with iPhone PC Suite. All I did was use it to backup my contacts to my PC.

I'll only do a restore if no one else can think of anything.
    Thanks.

Thanks

^You can try deleting a lot of your third-party applications, which should bring it down some, but for the best results a restore would be ideal...
    Respect your elders.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    ^You can try deleting a lot of your third-party applications, which should bring it down some, but for the best results a restore would be ideal...
    Well here's a strange one..... I used iTunes and deleted around 40 apps. After it was done I now have 700MB free and 4.3GB of other. Figure that one out.

Restore in progress.

Thanks

^Well, you were supposed to delete your jailbroken apps, however a restore is definitely best for you... Hope it goes well.
    Respect your elders.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    ^Well, you were supposed to delete your jailbroken apps, however a restore is definitely best for you... Hope it goes well.
    That's what I did. I just used iTunes to do it.
    The restore went well. Already jailbroken and installing apps again.