Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need to Remove Ringtones by Xmas, Help please!!!

Default Need to Remove Ringtones by Xmas, Help please!!!
    I bought this phone from a friend to give to my g/f as a gift but I am being unable to delete the previous ringtones he has in.

Looks like the phone is Jailbroken/Unlocked because I've been using it with T-Mobile, so I do not wanna reset it.

Please help me delete the Ringtones!

Only thing I have tried is to use PuTTy to ssh into the phone, however under Library there is not a Ringtones folder (The only folders I see are: Domino / Installer / Lockdown / Lockdown_bak / Preferences).

I tried using the rmdir directly (root/var/Library/Ringtones/Filename.mp3) but it cannot find the folder either.

When I was doing my research, I came accross something about "Manzana" and "iFuntastic" but I did not jailbreak this phone so I have no idea on how to go about it.

Please help me!

====================
    Phone info: 2G 8gb / 1.1.4 Firmware / I run Windows XP
    ====================

bump
    Last edited by Oliver350Z; 12-23-2008 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

You can get rid of them if you restore the phone cleanly as a "new phone".

Just go into iTunes and restore, which is a good idea anyway, since you're giving the phone to a new owner...
    Respect your elders.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ALL DAY For This Useful Post:

Oliver350Z (12-23-2008)

Thanks

Download open SSH from Cydia. Then download Win SCP on your PC (its shareware- google for it) . If the phone is jailbroken you can access its file system via your PC and WinSCP. Enter the iPhone's wifi IP address, user = root, password = alpine 9 unless the previous owner changed it). You can access the ringtones folder this way.

FWIW, installing OpenSSH is also required for access to the "root" files using Putty and if you prefer you can manage the files that way as well.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

just update it to 2.2 and they'll be gone and a way better FW will be on aswell
    Mac Pro 2x2.66
    1.3 TB HDD
    6 GB RAM
    2x24" Dell 2405 monitors
    PowerBook 17"
    8GB Gen1 jailbroken Iphone
    16GB 3Gs white
    60 GB ipod

The phone is already jailbroken / unlocked (not by me).

Isn't updating it to the original FW 2.2 going to lock or mess up the iPhone?

Thanks

^It'll lock it, but it is an easy process to re-unlock it (Quickpwn) and you'll be on a much better/more feature-rich firmware...
    Respect your elders.

as everyones saying just do a hard restore
    (first go into DFU mode, then restore) and then use quickpwn. To find out how to do all that just look around the site

Well, looks like I have a brick for now.

I did the DFU mode as explained here:
    How To: Enter DFU Restore Mode - ModMyi - Wiki

Now, the screen of the phone is off and it won't turn on anymore. When I connect / disconnect from iTunes what I get is: "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes."

There is a restore button there on iTunes, but I want to see what steps I should take next now that the phone is "locked".

Any advice?

hahaha damn and with 2.2 fw qwkpwn wont unlock it and do the restore man but its gonna be useless

I did the restore and everything went smoothly apparently!
    There is hopeeeeeeeeeeeeeee lol!

It is showing now the phone with the 2.2 (5G77) firmware and I am at the home screen right now...
    A popup showed "need activation". but I guess that is normal.

Man, do I feel relieved...........
    I was already thinking of excuses to tell my girlfriend why her new iPhone won't turn on lmao.

Anyways, since I am back to business, what's the next step to Jailbreak / Unlock (use w/ T-Mobile)?

Thanks for all the help guys!
    Last edited by Oliver350Z; 12-23-2008 at 07:06 PM.

Thanks

now the fun bit.

with windows and quickpwn you cant activate the phone (hacktivate) after using quickpwn.

dont mean to confuse you, but you need a custom 2.2 firmware that contains the unlock + activation.

download that, then the latest version of winpwn.

use winpwn to create a custom firmware, think the latest for winpwn was 2.0.2?, at the end when it has created the firmware it will say "hold buttons to put into dfu mode"

this is a special dfu mode and only needs to be done once.

use this to put it into dfu mode, then go into itunes and restore to the custom 2.2 firmware you have DOWNLOADED, not the one just created.

after a reboot your phone wil be golden.

hope this isnt to confusing. it will make sense in the end?!
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

13. The Following User Says Thank You to reeko For This Useful Post:

Oliver350Z (12-24-2008)

^^^^

Now, that I understand perfectly because I know exactly where to go to get the custom fw and I have already downloaded the WinPwn.

I will try this now, I will let you know if it worked without hassles, thank you!

EDIT: Just done with WinPwn, tried to restore to the Custom fw 2.2 and will not let me do it, I get this error message: The iPhone could not be restored (Error: 1600) (Right before I get the error message the windows systray tells me that a 2.0 usb port will be faster).

EDIT 2: I'm all set guys, working like a charm thanks to everyone who helped me guide through this, it looks hard but in the end it is all about following directions. Thanks a bunch!
    Last edited by Oliver350Z; 12-23-2008 at 09:52 PM.

Thanks

ye it sounds more complicated than it really is. glad your set now.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

if its a 3g then it cant be used with other carriers, if its 2g just quickpwn it and chise unlock