Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Retreiving deleted SMS messages (text)

Default Retreiving deleted SMS messages (text)
    I need to pull text messages from a non-jailbroke iphone (I JUST used quickpwn to get access to ssh and the dirs..)

I have called Apple support and with a bit of social engineering found out that it is possible to pull deleted text messages.

The rep told me "If you want to hack your phone, it is possible to pull the deleted messages, but I cannot tell you how. Google it."

I tried to get him to at least answer yes or no questions to point me to some jailbroke app, or a DIR on phone itself that stores SMS. He would not. But I asked him directly if it could be done and he said yes. He would get in trouble if he told me how.

I know iPhone stores SMS in the /var/mobile/SMS/sms.db but it seems to be only current text messages.

Even stranger is that my jailbroke phone (jailbroke last time with 2.2 in November) is SAVING month old sms in the sms.db for some reason even after they are deleted. I can go a month back on my phone in this huge sms.db. This other phone in question's sms.db is only the current SMS that are actually on the phone.

I know that older sms.db file is saved somewhere on this filesystem. There has to be a way to retrieve the older version sms.db, almost like a data recovery on the iPhone file system itself.

Does anyone have any clue how to a) pull deleted SMS off the phone? or b) do a data recovery on the iphone filesystem so I can pull the old sms.db file and find the deleted text messages?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Thanks

Like the Rep said, It is possible, But it'l be pretty tricky.

I'd imagine you'd have to find the directory of where the SMS's are and open them in a text editor :/

Anyway, Good Luck

i didn't know you can retrieve deleted texts

Hi,

Did you end up finding out how to recover those deleted text messages. I have the same problem and I got to the sms.db but only found the messages that I could already see.

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

they were deleted, calling your carrier would be a better bet at getting old txts, you could prob do it online
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

you can get your sms.db from your phone by ssh'ing into it. you can find it in: /var/mobile/Library/SMS/sms.db
    also possibly the file sms.db.sg1bak

download them to your computer....where to go from here anyone?

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

if you restored your phone that file was deleted, you can sync your stuff back but thats only as good as your last sync
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

yeah good point scream...idk man. i've been tryin to find an answer for ya but no luck...i guess try calling your service provider and see if there's a way you can get a copy of messages?

Thumbs up iPhone 5 Data Recovery - Recover lost files from iPhone 5 directly and iTunes backup
    Accidentally deleted important photos and contacts from your iPhone 5? Erased all data by restoring iPhone 5 to factory settings? Don't worry. With Dr.Fone (iPhone 5), you can easily get back your lost files.

youtube.com/watch?v=wUKwY2eGDLk

Dr.Fone for iPhone 5 is designed to recover contacts, messages, notes, safari bookmarks and more from your iPhone 5 directly even without backup. Besides, if you have backed up iPhone 5 with iTunes before data loss, it will also help you extract the lost from iTunes backup file of your iPhone 5.

What that means is that the information is removed from the directory. It has nothing to do with spotlight the iPhone has no idea that it exists. It's just like on a computer. Even though it's really there the computer thinks it isn't. The iPhone thinks it isn't there. It has nothing to do with how Spotlight works. Finally I get them all back with the help of iPhone Data Recovery.

It would take some serious retrieval tools to recover deleted text messages from iPhone.
    Last edited by angelloy; 01-08-2014 at 02:34 AM.