+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 2G help with bricked device

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have a 4GB Iphone (2G) 1.1.4 firware and I was adding apps through installer, I added an app that masks your firmware. I obviously didn't know the consequences and
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Iphone 2G help with bricked device
    I have a 4GB Iphone (2G) 1.1.4 firware and I was adding apps through installer, I added an app that masks your firmware. I obviously didn't know the consequences and when I went to restart the phone it went into Script/Dos mode and stays there, it's no longer recognized by my laptop. I'm fearing the worst, my question is, is there away to remove this app through SSH or any other program at this point or am I forced to restore, jail break again and unfortunately lose some of new data that I didn't get a chance to back up? If someone can please help that would be great.

Thanks

Thanks

Find out a way to boot your iPhone into 'DFU Mode'.

DFU Mode stands for Device Firmware Update.
    I like to think of it as Device Failsafe Update, Because no matter what **** you do to your device, You can still reach DFU mode. With a few exceptions of course.

So, Your on the forums, Search up a way, And from there, You can restore to your current firmware.

Good Luck!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Recovery of pictures & contacts
    Thanks for the reply, when I put it in DFU mode, will I then be unable to access my pictures & contacts ever again, unfortunately I didn't back up the phone. So if i restore do I lose everything?

Thanks

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anew09 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, when I put it in DFU mode, will I then be unable to access my pictures & contacts ever again, unfortunately I didn't back up the phone. So if i restore do I lose everything?

Thanks
    If you did not backup your phone you will loose everything.....

I always backup my photos and also music and my contact list... then if I crash I have it all on cd...... you never can backup enough! If you loose your stuff enough times you will learn to backup!

"Always remember your special and unique!"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks...my loss...i will learn for sure. Is there any possible way of accessing my apps at this point and removing the app that bricked my phone?

Thanks

Thanks...my loss...i will learn for sure. Is there any possible way of accessing my apps at this point and removing the app that bricked my phone?
    When the person asked you if you backed up your phone... did you let itunes back it up for you? And are you a PC user or Mac?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm using a mac and I was not asked if I backed up with Itunes. Right now my mac is not recognizing my iphone obviously cause it doesn't go anywhere after it boots in Script/Dos mode. Basically just to remind you, I added an app that masks your firmware and when i used to app to mask my 1.1.4 firmware to 2.2 firmware and restarted, obviously my iphone did not recognize the the mask on restart and it's stuck in that mode. I read somewhere that if you use SSH you may be able to erase the apps but am I passed the point of no return?

Thanks again for trying to help on this

Thanks

I'm using a mac and I was not asked if I backed up with Itunes. Right now my mac is not recognizing my iphone obviously cause it doesn't go anywhere after it boots in Script/Dos mode. Basically just to remind you, I added an app that masks your firmware and when i used to app to mask my 1.1.4 firmware to 2.2 firmware and restarted, obviously my iphone did not recognize the the mask on restart and it's stuck in that mode. I read somewhere that if you use SSH you may be able to erase the apps but am I passed the point of no return?

Thanks again for trying to help on this
    Ok.... you will need to try to get your phone in to DFU mode if you can as the other user suggested as well.... this gives you a start... do you know how to try to get it into DFU mode? You will have to get itunes to recognize your iphone so you can restore it if there is a restore point or have it take it back to factory if you can...

Also have you tried to reboot it by holding the power and home button and keep them held until you see the apple again?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thetoothfairy For This Useful Post:

anew09 (12-14-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah I do know how to get it in DFU mode and I reached the point where itunes recognized my phone and it asked me to restore to factory settings. Now if i do that will it wipe everything clean or will I possibly have my old phone back to normal?

Thanks again.

Thanks

My iTunes backs up my iPhone by default every time it syncs with my laptop..

So chances are that when you finish restoring, iTunes will then prompt you if you want to reload a previous backed up image of your phone.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FairLight For This Useful Post:

anew09 (12-14-2008)

Thanks

Yeah I do know how to get it in DFU mode and I reached the point where itunes recognized my phone and it asked me to restore to factory settings. Now if i do that will it wipe everything clean or will I possibly have my old phone back to normal?

Thanks again.
    Well if you can get your phone into DFU mode I would not consider it being a brick at this point.... once you get into DFU mode and itunes recognizes it then you will have the choice to take it back to factory settings or use your backup that itunes made for you.... to check and see if it backed it up open itunes.......on the top left hand corner click on itunes and then preferences and then devices... you will see a name under device backups... that will be the backup itunes will use if you choose it once you get it in DFU mode again....