+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Anthropology Study On Hacking Community

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello, I'm conducting an anthropology study on virtual ethnography and the subculture of hacking. If you have a couple minutes and would like to participate in this study please answer
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Anthropology Study On Hacking Community
    Hello, I'm conducting an anthropology study on virtual ethnography and the subculture of hacking. If you have a couple minutes and would like to participate in this study please answer the questions below. Also, if you have any personal thoughts you would like to add pertaining to how people within the hacking community interact with each other please feel free to include them at the bottom of the survey. (This study is being conducted under California State University of Fresno's Anthropology department.)

1. What is you operating system of choice?

2. What operating system do you use most?

3. How much time a week do you spend online?

4. At anytime have you modified a cell phone for any purpose other than the manufactures intended use?

5. At anytime have you modified a laptop or desktop computer for any purpose other than the manufactures intended use?

6. At anytime have you modified any type of gaming console (e.g. Xbox, PS1-3, PSP, DS, etc) for any purpose other than the manufactures intended use?

7. At anytime have you modified software for any purpose other than the developers intended use?

8. When is the last time you purchased software?

9. When is the last time you installed software new to your computer?

10. How many online relationships extend outside your virtual environment? (e.g. An online friend you meet a Starbucks)

11. What percent of your relationships are made and conducted online as opposed to offline.

12. What usually constitutes respect or praise in someone in the hacking community? What are admirable qualities in someone of this community?

13. What usually constitutes a lack of respect in someone of the hacking community? Which qualities are considered loathsome in this community?

14. What measures do you take, if any, to protect your online anonymity? (e.g. What name do you use for forums and comments, do you use proxies, etc?)

Comments:

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

ANYTHING MAC
    OSX
    ALOT. PROLLY 25-35 HOURS
    4. At anytime have you modified a cell phone for any purpose other than the manufactures intended use?
    YUP
    5. At anytime have you modified a laptop or desktop computer for any purpose other than the manufactures intended use?
    YUP
    6. At anytime have you modified any type of gaming console (e.g. Xbox, PS1-3, PSP, DS, etc) for any purpose other than the manufactures intended use?
    YUP
    7. At anytime have you modified software for any purpose other than the developers intended use?
    YUP
    HMMM, THIS WEEK
    OH, LAST WEEK
    10. How many online relationships extend outside your virtual environment? (e.g. An online friend you meet a Starbucks)
    LITTLE CONFUSED, SORRY
    11. What percent of your relationships are made and conducted online as opposed to offline.
    GUESS YOU CAN COUNT THE MEMBERS OF MMI
    12. What usually constitutes respect or praise in someone in the hacking community? What are admirable qualities in someone of this community?
    SOMEONE THAT CONTRIBUTES
    13. What usually constitutes a lack of respect in someone of the hacking community? Which qualities are considered loathsome in this community?
    A LEECH
    14. What measures do you take, if any, to protect your online anonymity? (e.g. What name do you use for forums and comments, do you use proxies, etc?)
    MUH, JUST A SCREENNAME

Thanks

OS X

XP mostly because I'm still a Mac noob and most of my stuff is on the XP system.

20-40 depending upon what other reposnsibilities I have at the moment

Several

Yes.

No.

Yes.

Last week.

Yesterday

10. How many online relationships extend outside your virtual environment? (e.g. An Ive met about 5 or 6 online friends but none on a regular basis.

75%

Respect is given to those who contribute information and share it without being a jerk. Someone who adheres to the unwritten and written protocols of the online community.

Spammers, people who insult others, those who steal others ideas and pass off as their own, people who do not attempt to help themselves first,

never use my real name on forums, attempt to appear as gender-neutral as possible, never post my email address, home address, telephone numbers online. Use router and software firewalls on all my computers, Run and keep updated, good antivirus /anti malware packages on my Windows systems.
    Last edited by bhz1; 12-10-2008 at 07:31 AM.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Leopard

Leopard

49+ hours

No. iPhone excluded since it is a computer system and is intended to be used as one. The cell phone portion has remain untouched.

No. Several icon modifications though. (Like for what? That's not very clear)

No (I hacked custom firmware with the intent of playing games, just like Sony intended when they sold me the PSP) These clinical questions aren't very clear.

Yes on that one.....

A week ago. PS3 games.

Daily.

A few.

Many more online due to working online as a job.

Same as any other community. Produce results the community wants.

Deviousness, underhandedness, developing an app called Caterpillar.

None. I'm on a fully updated brand new aluminum iMac. Hack me if you can, I'm the ginger bread man. That's 20 years of virus free arrogance talking. Paranoia is for Microsoft users.

Comments:

Studies are useless. If you want to know about a community be part of it. Your polls are incomplete and your percentages are based off who actually had the time to fill them out. You cannot eat dinner one night with the Jones and understand their entire family history, each individual personality, and what they've been through to make them who they are. You've a better chance of walking to the moon than overcoming the variables involved in the data you receive from a poll.
    Last edited by one1; 12-09-2008 at 05:52 PM.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Mac OS or Windows

Windows

25-30 hrs

yup

yup

yup

Indeed

Yesterday, December 8th, 2008

Today, December 9th, 2008

hundreds (myspace and facebook)

5%

Creativity, determination, and originality. Respectful ethics and being willing to share.

Selfishness, vandalism, and downright pointlessness. Sensless destruction for the sake of having "fun".

None, computers are repairable and becomming cheaper.

Comments: I've taken a similar study for a friends doctorate at the University of Texas, it more regarded the interaction of a virtual world rather than a "hacking" aspect. Good luck to you!
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

Windows Vista

Thanks

OSX

XP

~18 hours? Probably more.

Yes.

No.

Yes.

Yes.

Well, I guess my OSX on my MacBook a few weeks ago.

Two weeks ago.

A few from Xbox LIVE.

.265%:99.735%

Innovation/expertise. Helpfulness, a pleasing demeanor- not being a **** for no reason. I like you, why not just be nice?

Asking stupid questions that have been answered, not searching, being an overall unpleasant/mean person without any justification. Stealing designs/others work/code .

Some people know my real name; I use ALL DAY (or some variation) pretty much everywhere I visit. No proxies.

Comments: Good luck with the survey/study!
    Last edited by ALL DAY; 12-09-2008 at 08:22 PM.
    Respect your elders.

Retired Moderator A Retired Mod's Avatar
    Thanks

XP

XP/Vista

35 to 40hrs

4. At anytime have you modified a cell phone for any purpose other than
    the manufactures intended use?
    Yes

Yes

No
    7. At anytime have you modified software
    for any purpose other than the developers intended use?
    Yes

Been a while

About a week ago
    10. How many online relationships extend outside your virtual
    environment? (e.g. An online friend you meet a Starbucks)
    None

.333%

Being very helpful,honest,someone who finishes what he start.

Being dishonest, Rude.

Proxy from time to time, Router.

Comments Good luck.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you so much for all your replies you've all been a huge help!

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post

Comments:

Studies are useless. If you want to know about a community be part of it. Your polls are incomplete and your percentages are based off who actually had the time to fill them out. You cannot eat dinner one night with the Jones and understand their entire family history, each individual personality, and what they've been through to make them who they are. You've a better chance of walking to the moon than overcoming the variables involved in the data you receive from a poll.
    I totally get your point, even the best data is often skewed, but the data in this project is qualitative and I personally have been a part of this wonderful community for the better part of a decade. Thanks again for input!

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sinX View Post
    I personally have been a part of this wonderful community for the better part of a decade.
    Hahahaha, dont think we've been around for 10 years yet

Thanks

Somethings awfully skwewwy awound here.

Thanks

Wow, after his response, I feel like just another number... no offense one1
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

Windows Vista

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Hahahaha, dont think we've been around for 10 years yet
    lol..I know I meant the hacking community in general. Although, I wish iphones had been around that long maybe we'd have copy & paste by now!

Thanks

grassmasta, you are just a number man. It's a clinical Internet survey, he don't wanna buy you dinner .

(if you buy dinner I'm totally in for coffee and hashbrowns at waffle house)

Thanks

I guess I was expecting a little wine, and maybe some music to serenade me for participating in his survey. Perhaps your right, he doesnt want to buy me dinner! WWHHHHYYYYY!?!? But, coffee and hashbrowns sound damn good!
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

Windows Vista

Thanks

. What is you operating system of choice?

Mac OS X

Mac OS X

20 hours, probably about 30 if you include gaming.

Yes, my iPhone.

Yes, my windows laptop into a macbook.

Yes, a wiikey on the 1st gen wii and a DS and a PSP

Yes

Computer software - honestly, never. I mean if games count then i bought left 4 dead last friday, but ive never paid for any office suite or anything like that.

Today

Ive got a few friends i know offline, then we play online. But people i meet online, i dont intend to ever meet in real life.

i could drop people online whenever i feel like it and it wouldnt matter to me. online friends are not a real relationship to me, just a bit of fun when i am bored,to play gears of war with or something, so 0%.

Helpful, demonstrates there knowledge and is always happy to help others, but most of all, someone who sets out a goal which others see as very hard or impossible and reaches his goal. Hackers who never reach any of their goals and get sidetracked along the way are useless.

People who are not prepared to put the groundwork in to help themselves i.e SEARCH and instead expect to be spoon fed every bit of information they need.

i dont take any precautions. im crazy, and if anyone comes after me they will see that.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Green Apple
    Thanks

1. What is you operating system
    of choice?
    OS X

OS X or Fedora(linux), it's about even...

30-40 hrs

yes

yes

yes

no

yesterday (spanning sync)

today (Transmit)

none

12. What usually constitutes respect or praise in someone in the hacking community?
    Abilities, Achievements, ideas..

What are admirable qualities in someone of this community?
    quick thinking, analytical, etc.

13. What usually constitutes a lack of respect in someone of the hacking community?
    low experience, impossible ideas(i want my phone to be able to print money)

Which qualities are considered loathsome in this community?
    hyperactivity, TYPING IN ALL CAPS(atleast in my opinion haha)..

little to none... i don't really care if people know who i am... but if you are talking about keeping your things secure like passwords and such all my passwords are 10 characters plus and use a full keyspace... A-Za-z1-0 ,./;'[]\=-`!@#$%^&*()_+<>?:"{}