Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: One-off custom conversion in progress. White 3G 16GB shell wrapped around a 2G 16GB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Default One-off custom conversion in progress. White 3G 16GB shell wrapped around a 2G 16GB
    I've dealt with pondering the same thing as many have........ "Do I want to get rid of my mint 16gb 2G for a white 16gb 3g just because I want that pretty white shell?"

I've came close many times, but there are just too many downfalls to the 3G. The 2G 16gb is so much better of a phone. More solid, no contract, full unlock, and the list goes on. We know the 2G's will always be the best built phones so there is no reason to go to the 3G for me.

SOOOOOO here comes the ultimate build. "I" want something "I" cannot have. I want a 16gb 2g phone and a 16gb white 3g shell. The two phones are night and day. There's no compatibility between the two at all in any way. This will be a very tough build, but I have already designed the system and it WILL work.

I just have to build it. I'll be ordering my white 3g shell in the next few days (before friday) and we'll get this party started.

Consider this the official build thread.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

good luck keep us updated

Thanks

Most def.

After having my hands in as many 3G's as I have and seeing the destruction from an E.E. perspective I have no love for the 3g, but damn it is pretty. Put them both together and I'll have exactly what I want.

I'm an ATT iDay customer too.... I could have any of them, but can't stand them.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

So your gonna switch back plates?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

^^^I'm no iPhone expert, but from what I've read of one1's threads, the two phones are very different in the way they are constructed, thus the purpose of the shell and the way they fit in the shell are very different.

Are you going to be able to have a non-recessed headphone jack? If so...im effin jealous!
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

Windows Vista

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grassmasta View Post
    Are you going to be able to have a non-recessed headphone jack? If so...im effin jealous!
    It will be 100% 3G on the outside.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Ohh, but looks will be deceiving.

Thanks

Long as I am doing a custom build I might as well make some changes. Like that pitiful speaker.

Just wondering though, you list the downfalls of the 3g compared to the 2g, but wouldn't the white plastic back be considered a downfall against the solid aluminum back of the 2g.

I had dropped my 2g on hard tile floor from about 4 feet and felt the pain as i heard it hit the floor very loudly.

Picked up the phone and it was working fine, but there is a small dent on the back corner really close to the headphone jack.
    This was about a month ago and its still been working fine.
    But when I saw that dent all I could think about was "I'm glad that back wasn't plastic" because I can guarantee it would've had a pretty bad crack.

I still really want to see how this turns out, good luck.

Thanks

^^ that's not a downfall, ........that's falling down.

Well you've said that it's the inside of the casing that makes the 2g so much more study than the 3g right?

So I take it you're going to gut the 3g casing, and mod it to be like a 2g.

Question, will you be able to use the guts of any of the 3g's to add GPS to your 2g build?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    Long as I am doing a custom build I might as well make some changes. Like that pitiful speaker.
    A cappuccino machine would be great.

Thanks

tow hitch, air compressor, possibly a microwave. Have to see how much space I have left over behind the rocket launcher.

....and what the frig is with people and GPS? Do you not know where the hell you are?

Do you get lost between your house and work?

Have you ever gone to the kitchen for a beer and not found your way back to the couch?

Do you get calls at random from lost friends? "I need help, I went to Subway and can't find my way home...." "Don't worry I'll track you with GPS and lead you back to your house"

Do you sit somewhere and go "Dude, look....... I totally know where I am".

Do you you sometimes turn left ............and need a second opinion?

*smacks head*
    Last edited by one1; 12-09-2008 at 09:21 PM.

Thanks

^^Maybe if we actually had turn-by-turn, I would miss it.

Thanks

Have you ever thought "Damn if I just had GPS I could navigate this parking lot.... I mean granted it is a McDonalds.... but that would be the schitt".

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    Have you ever thought "Damn if I just had GPS I could navigate this parking lot.... I mean granted it is a McDonalds.... but that would be the schitt".
    when driving to an unfamiliar address in an unfamiliar neighborhood it is the shiznats

Quote Originally Posted by THEdAY View Post
    Just wondering though, you list the downfalls of the 3g compared to the 2g, but wouldn't the white plastic back be considered a downfall against the solid aluminum back of the 2g.

I had dropped my 2g on hard tile floor from about 4 feet and felt the pain as i heard it hit the floor very loudly.

Picked up the phone and it was working fine, but there is a small dent on the back corner really close to the headphone jack.
    This was about a month ago and its still been working fine.
    But when I saw that dent all I could think about was "I'm glad that back wasn't plastic" because I can guarantee it would've had a pretty bad crack.

I still really want to see how this turns out, good luck.
    ive dropped my 3g at least 3 or 4 times from about 4feet off the ground onto concrete... ugly scratches in the corners but no cracks. got a new incase slider case. problem solved
    Last edited by reznor9; 12-09-2008 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

I delivered pizza ten years ago in a neighborhood so big after 3 years of living in it and ten years later I still don't know half of it. I didn't need gps to find anything.

Do people not understand that being able to find your way around is primal? It's required by anyone with nuts. When I was in school they wouldn't let us use a calculator because we'd be "stupid" if we depended on a calculator.

Now this........

Thanks

I have a $600 TomTom and unless Im taking a trip outside of the state, It doesnt even get turned on basically ever.

Unless, I do use it alot to tell me how fast im going.....cuz with my "gansta" (LOL) lean in the Suburban my hand tends to cover the gauges.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I need gps to navigate the internet... what you guys dont? Could you teach me?

...and yes I have gotten lost on the way back from a beer run in my kitchen...I'm very sensative about my GPS dependant issues.
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

Windows Vista

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast