Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Review your iPhone here!

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,807 Times in 1,227 Posts

Default Review your iPhone here!
    All right, folks, lets get your reviews!

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Everything about it is simply amazing. It functions very well in all areas. I'm not sure I will complain about the Edge networks, seems pretty quick for me. The keyboard is awesome as well.

If I had to make a complaint, it is more on iTunes not allowing simple drag and drop of music and videos to the iPhone. You are forced to add via the SYNC option. Not major, but a complaint.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,275 Times in 652 Posts

#2 complaint no way to have custom ringtones yet.

Well lets see where to start on this review, I really believe that apple has changed the cellphone industry today and no it's not the koolaid talking. The whole experience start to finish has just been an absolute joy. When you walk into the AT&T store all you have to do is tell them which verison of the phone you want and then pay for it and you are on your way. There is no annoying sales pitch or anything else like that. In less than 10 minutes I was in and out of the store with my new iPhone(keep in mind I had been waiting in line since 12:30). When I got home I unboxed the iPhone which was joy as there was no store employee man handling my new toy and activation was very simple and done well within five minutes. To me this experience was the greatest as it took very little time and was not stressful. I praise apple on this and think that it may just be the next best thing since sliced bread.

Onto the phone itself, I have been keeping up with many of the reviews online about the phone and it's many quirks. The keyboard has not been rated that well in some reviews but I have found it to be very accurate and fast to type on. Edge speeds seem fast enough for my needs and youtube downloads videos quickly. All of the other functions on the phone work very well in my opinion and I am very happy with the time that I have invested so far. For a device with so much hype it is nice to see that so far it is living up to my expectations. This may not be the case with everyone but for my needs this is a great phone that will actully sync with my computer as I have a mac. Overall only time will tell how well the phone, battery and applications work so I will edit my post in the coming days to elaborate on my experience.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cfd954 For This Useful Post:

Cody Overcash (06-30-2007)

All I can do so far is "Slide for Emergency". My number is being ported from Verizon and says it will be 24hrs and takes additional time to activate. FAQ says you may begin using all features now but I have not been able to get past the emergency screen. It is as beautiful as I had hoped though.

Talking Sweet Jesus!
    I got mine late last night at the OakBrook store in Illinois. No Line, no waiting. My buddy in N.Y. paid a guy $100 to take his place in line. Heh. Dufus.
    There was a ton left at the AppleStore here and a ton of happy folks walking out with them : )

I am in the process of setting it up and will let you know how it pans out.

JenCiv
    I am the ORIGINAL AppleGrrl!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JenCiv For This Useful Post:

Kalison (10-21-2007)

First, I had a wonderful day waiting in line. I don't care if I could have skipped the process. I met a bunch of great people. Cleveland is NOT Mac central!

I had no problem activating the phone and synching it with my MacBook. Made my first call within about 10 minutes of handing the guy my credit card.

I find the virtual keyboard to be quite usable. I am still becoming proficient and I am sure the experience will become even better. I am a bit disappointed that the landscape perspective is used in so few places, I think it should be universal.

Unfortunately, I tried to set up MobileMail and did not have a good experience. The inability to select multiple items and the lack of the spam filter make it unusable for me. I am considering using my desktop as a server and then getting my mail from there, but I should not have to do that.

I am evaluating battery life right now. Today, I did run out of juice at the tail end of my 10 mile walk. I definitely will have to get into the habit of charging it at least nightly if not more. I believe it is better than my Cingular 8125 that is now collecting dust, but since I will naturally use it more, it could become a minor annoyance.

The web experience so far has been better than I anticipated...especially under WiFi. While I have run into sites that are not fully viewable, it passes my number one internet test...if I come to a long line at the movies, I will have NO hesitation to popup Fandango from my phone. Good bye Cingular 8125, it was a pleasure having you mess up my webpages!

It is even better than I expected. The keyboard, which I was worried about, is not an issue after just a couple of hours of typing. The screen quality is amazing. I think the cellphone industry, as we have known it no longer exists.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default It's All Good...
    First I'd like to say hi to all you guys here and give a *real* thumbs-up to this site and the forum... nice work, great layout.

So anyway, my entire experience has been pretty positive. I'm in the NYC area wasn't nearly dumb enough to even consider going anywhere near Manhattan to attempt to get the iPhone. I actually ended up getting it from an AT&T store in a fairly affluent area close to my home, and even that line full of of spoiled rich kids wasn't huge (maybe 70-80 people tops). Instead of camping out for days, I just showed up around 5PM and was out the door by 8 with the last iPhone they had (4GB). Went home, ported my # from Verizon and was hooked up in minutes.

Even though I'd read everything about it and seen every pic, demo & review, I was still impressed- what a sweet-*** phone! It works just as smoothly as it does in the demos & ads. The functions & apps are truly easy to use and synergized with each other similar to how they are in the OSX desktop version.

I only have 2 real complaints, the first being the (temporary) restriction of ringtones to either the pre-installed ones from Apple or, of course, ones you'd be forced to buy from them if you don't find a way around it. When I was on Verizon I made my own tones and sent them to myself as MMS attachments, getting around that same restriction pretty easily.

Other desired changes I'd want are so minor and will likely be added via future software updates or 3rd party tweakage, such as additional editing controls, more customizable layouts & settings, etc.

I think the phone functions really stand out way ahead of anything out there. The super-smooth and very flexible calling, editing and data entry interface & features rock.

My biggest complaint is the audio. It's not very clear, the speaker is weak, sound quality is not great and volume doesn't go nearly as high as it should. Certain callers I can barely hear, and the ones that I can hear are usually not quite loud enough even at full volume. This is one area that can't really be helped fully with software upgrades, and I'm sure future iPhones will have better audio hardware, especially if enough people complain. Also, the mic built into the headphones should have a gain control; it randomly picks up my voice & other sound at different levels, almost too well, and the random excessive volume (gain) can distort your voice (try listening to messages you leave on other people's voicemail before you hang up). So it's loud, but not always clear. Checking voicemail through the iPhone interface is really cool, but again the audio seems slightly static-y and compressed.

Yahoo mail was set up instantly, but it took 2 days and multiple conference calls with AT&T and Apple reps to properly configure Wi-Fi & mail from my local ISP; but those were due to external settings rather any real glitch with iPhone. Internet through WiFi is surprisingly fast, about equal w/my G4 iMac on a cable modem. Graphics-intensive web pages fully load in about 3-4 seconds. The Edge Network isn't bad at all and I have strong coverage everywhere so I'm very happy with that, especially after NO reliable reception/call connections from Verizon for a long time. It's funny that the advanced reviews complained about Edge 2G being slow, and then AT&T bumped up the speed on the eve of iPhone launch anyway. That was one main critcism busted. The other is the supposed "lack" of picture/MMS messaging (myth busted thanks to Poetic Folly's post). The answer was under our noses (just e-mail the pics from your iPhone to their wireless phone at their specific MMS address, refer to PF's post) and always available long before iPhone. It's also free to e-mail a text to someone's phone versus texting, which would count against your total texts (unless you sprung for the optional unlimited texts).

Battery life is more than enough so far, especially considering how much I've been using my iPhone. I have no idea why that was criticized.

So although I'd like to see more customizable features, settings & apps as well as full access to my Playlists for ringtones, I'm sure future updates will adress most of these things and, in the meantime, I have a kick-*** device that's better and smoother than any PDA out there and most phones as well, with Apple's top-notch design & aesthetics to boot. $500 and worth every penny.

-Pete

everything is great with exception to not being able to set mp3's as ringtones yet.

also, I firmly agree, the sound sucks. I can barly hear people when talking on the phone. Also, for some reason my sent mail is all in one mail box with my inbox when viewing my gmail??

Livin the iPhone Life iphonejeff's Avatar
    Thanks

the only thing I need in
    my iPhone is mms!!

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,807 Times in 1,227 Posts

Gizmodo put out a great review here....

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

I MUST have very LOUD ringtone.What do I do?
    Why isn't the keyboard turnig to horizontal position when TEXTING/SMSing.
    Why cant I empty email garbage at once.

I bought mine on the first. They had two lines at the Apple store in Seattle.
    One for looking that had about 20 people waiting and one for buying that had one person in front of me. I was in and out in less than 10 minutes.

As far as the phone it's self, I love it. No problems what so ever.

tlstar

I think without doing the hacking yourself and running the 3rd party software, the iPhone itself is actually quite boring after awhile.

My first impression was like "WAOOOOW.. multi-touch", but after running the phone for a couple of hours the multi-touch started to get bored.

iCal, Safari, calculator, clock, iMail.. i have that on my MACs too, been playing that for years, maybe that makes it less special for me.

iPod.. I don't really like listen to music.. not really a big use for me.
    LCD is a little too small for long term watching movies, but it's quite useful for travelling.

SMS chat view function, i had that on my Treo.. the one on the iPhone does look lots better but i have already seen it too.

The overall design is gorgeous, simple and timeless.
    But because it's black, fingerprints are very obvious.

Many of the Version2 (7th series) LCD panels are faulty, [00] black comes up brighter than [10] black. Not very happy with mine either.

No 3G... seriously, i don't really mind, as long as the phone is thin enough for my pocket

i bought mine when it was still 599... a little expensive.. but for 399, no pain at all to play with.

Overall... i will give it a 7.5 / 10
    Last edited by bookmark; 09-22-2007 at 06:43 PM.

First impression was... WAAOOOO....
    After a few hours playing.. kind of boring. Almost every application need to connect to the internet. Without wi-fi it will blow my GPRS charges.

1. Mail -> everytime we open mail, it will automatically connect and download all the emails. Cannot just get headers only. Deleting email much more terrible.. has to be one-by-one. Cannot create folder for mails.
    For replying email, doesn't support copy/paste function.

2. SMS -> cannot create folder, cannot forward sms, cannot copy/paste function, cannot delete one specific SMS, has to delete all conversation.

3. Phone -> cannot delete specific call from history. Has to delete all history.

4. Almost no security. Even your phone is locked, you can still make any call to any number you like from the emergency call. This is very funny.

5. Bluetooth -> only support for phone audio. Doesn't support for listening ipod using A2DP. Doesn't support file transfer, modem, etc.

Aside from the phone & business function, this is a very excellent as an entertainment gadget. Very cool touchscreen and picture viewer is top notch! Safari also very excellent. Ipod function.. well... no need to review.
    Last edited by russell910; 10-18-2007 at 07:46 AM.

its fantastic the only thing i dont like is how short the battery life is like how after using the internt for a few hours the battery is like dead, edge is horrible, not as thin as the touch

It's awesome. I have entertained myself and others so much using iMunchies and I love playing the GBA+NES emulators and TTR. I guess I really like it mainly for the 3rd party stuff.

As for the stuff I dislike:
    There's no MMS
    You can't take video.

Those, to be honest, are probably the two things I use most often - but I hope maybe someday there will be an update/new iPhone that has those two. I'm aware video would kill battery life but MMS shouldn't be a problem.