Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: So my power/lock button stopped working

Default So my power/lock button stopped working
    So it still works, it's just really annoying to have to use SBSettings to lock it and if it freezes up I cant force a reboot or go into restore or DFU mode. Plus i'm really worried that if i turn it off by mistake (through bossprefs/sbsettings or something like that) i wont be able to turn it back on. I was looking on ebay and there's plenty of replacement power buttons but I haven't been able to find some good instructions. I'm sure others have had this problem. So please give me some suggestions/ideas about how you dealt with this. Also does anyone from the NYC area know of a good repair place that's not TOO expensive.

What do you mean it stopped working? Does it not push down anymore? Or can you push it, but it just doesn't do anything?

In any case, take it to the Apple store if it's under warranty, they'll replace for you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to _ducky For This Useful Post:

Lace (12-04-2008)

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

you can get it to turn back on by simply docking it

you dont have to charge it just connect it up to a dock or cable and it will switch it back on.
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to seann33uk For This Useful Post:

Lace (12-04-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I had this problem after some water exposure. Let the phone dry out for a few weeks in rice. All worked except the power button didn't want to turn on, nor off and when it finally would come on, it would turn off at random. Figured wth and applied a SMALL drop of contact cleaner (get it at an electronics shop) to the gap around the button. Operated it a few times and now the button works 100% on off and stays on, already for some days. You may give this a try before cracking the thing open. Not as easy as it looks!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to chuckplumber For This Useful Post:

Lace (12-04-2008)

Quote Originally Posted by _ducky View Post
    What do you mean it stopped working? Does it not push down anymore? Or can you push it, but it just doesn't do anything?

In any case, take it to the Apple store if it's under warranty, they'll replace for you.
    It does push down, just nothing happens. And yea i think i will take it down to the apple store. I bought it on ebay earlier this year but i'm pretty sure its still under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by seann33uk View Post
    you can get it to turn back on by simply docking it

you dont have to charge it just connect it up to a dock or cable and it will switch it back on.
    I thought that only worked when the battery died. Thanks for the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckplumber View Post
    I had this problem after some water exposure. Let the phone dry out for a few weeks in rice. All worked except the power button didn't want to turn on, nor off and when it finally would come on, it would turn off at random. Figured wth and applied a SMALL drop of contact cleaner (get it at an electronics shop) to the gap around the button. Operated it a few times and now the button works 100% on off and stays on, already for some days. You may give this a try before cracking the thing open. Not as easy as it looks!
    The problem is that it wasn't due to water, i dropped it and i guess it hit the sweet spot, so im not even sure if apple will replace it.

Thanks for the reply guys. Is there like a lock app on cydia, kinda like the respring one?