+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 16GB logic board in a....

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Ok quick question before the main event. First the question. Is it feasible to replace my 8gb logic board with a 16gb logic board for a first gen iphone? I
    Thanks

Default 16GB logic board in a....
    Ok quick question before the main event.

First the question. Is it feasible to replace my 8gb logic board with a 16gb logic board for a first gen iphone? I mean are they interchangeable?

And now for the main event. My neighbor and closest friend has decided to take his 16gb first gen iphone and make it a 32gb iphone. His plan, and I kid you not, is to solder a 16gb flash component from another iphone into the existing 16gb board. In tandem. I personally don't think it will work, but I lack the electrical background he does. Anyone know of anything that I could present to prevent this from happening. I'm trying to get him to do a live feed of the experiment online. Inside I feel that it is a disaster waiting to happen. I know better but, a part of me wants to watch because I've never seen anyone murder an iPhone, like he will undoubtedly do. After the fire on Thanksgiving, (Christmas decorations, powered by the transformer in the alley) my thoughts are neutral. I mean, power was knocked out for about 45 minutes. Someone please?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 16GB logic board in a....-oh-yes.jpg   16GB logic board in a....-mybox.jpg   16GB logic board in a....-happy-thanksgiving.jpg  

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,460 Times in 1,264 Posts

Yeah you can swap logic boards.

But your buddy's little idea will never work. He also has to keep in mind there is NO place to put the extra chip.....this also happens to be the reason why Apple has yet to release a 32gb iphone....cause the parts just wont fit into the phone.

Thanks

I haven't taken apart an iphone, but I have seen pics. The 16 gb isn't any thicker than the 8 ? Hmmmm I might do that then. As for my experimental neighbor, maybe I can get him to take apart his phone tonight to illustrate the lack of space.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,460 Times in 1,264 Posts

The inside of an iphone is completely stuffed, there is no extra room for anything.

Like I said, thats why there isnt already a 32gb iphone - take a look at the main page there is a news blog about the "rumor" of a 32gb phone, and it also states the reasons we havent already seen one, show him that.

And personally, if you've never taken an iphone apart I suggest taking your time - if your not very "read" in this type of stuff I wouldnt try it at all. Dont wanna see ya brick something.

But the 2 logic boards are the same in dimensions - remember, the phones are the same size , they dont use completely different hardware in the two.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

mumra06 (12-03-2008)