Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Create ad-hoc network from iphone?

Default Create ad-hoc network from iphone?
    I'm looking for a command line function similar to linux's iwconfig which can change settings for the wireless adapter (channel, mode, ssid, etc). I was wondering if the iphone has an equivalent command. I would like to create an ad-hoc network. I know the iphone has the ability to connect to an ad-hoc network, but it cannot create one (?). I was thinking if it was possible to sort of force the wireless adapter into thinking it was part of an ad-hoc network, therefor making it part of it's own ad-hoc network. That way I wouldn't have to create it from my computer, join it on my iphone, then carry it around everywhere and refrain from letting iphone go to sleep (poor baby!).

Can anyone help me with this? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Default Me too!
    I'm also searching for a utility that would allow me to create an ad-hoc network from my iPod Touch so I can use it as a wireless trackpad with RemotePad.

I can't create an ad-hoc network on the computer (to the best of my knowledge) because it is a Mac running a 3rd-Party wireless card which doesn't use the in-built AirPort driver and has it's own application, which does not have the feature to create ad-hoc networks.

Any help very much appreciated as this is this particular iTouch's only real use as the headphone output is broken and the wifi antenna is also in some way damaged as it only gets a very limited wifi range.

Default Hi
    I search how to do that too, I think if we can add debian source to iphone apt-get we'll be able to install wireless-tools. If this way doesn't work we can look if a native application can do that but I don't know programming for iphone.

(sorry for my english, I'm french...)