+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: T-Mobile Germany and unlocked phones

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default T-Mobile Germany and unlocked phones
    Please excuse me if this has already been discussed but I was reading this article:

"T-Mobile is to start allowing German customers to buy Apple's iPhone without a contract to its network, as it moves to comply with a court injunction.

Its announcement comes after rival Vodafone went to a German court to challenge T-Mobile's exclusive tie-up with the iPhone in Germany.

T-Mobile will now sell people just the handset for 999 euros ($1,477; 719).

This is a significant premium over the 399-euro price for those who also take out a two-year T-Mobile contract.

Similar tie-ups

Apple has similar exclusive iPhone arrangements with O2 in the UK and AT&T in the US.

T-Mobile added that customers could also now have the SIM lock on their iPhone removed, including those who have already purchased a handset.

This would allow them to switch to another phone network.

T-Mobile said in its statement that it would abide by the conditions "until the legal situation is resolved"."

I have highlighted the really interesting part and wondered if that means it is a software tool that is used to legitimately unlock an iPhone and that T-Mob are performing the unlock themselves?
    Last edited by finepics; 11-29-2008 at 08:51 AM. Reason: punctuation

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I've been curious about that as well, simply due to the fact that you can buy factory unlocked iPhones. But, the dev team has treated this community well, so I see no reason to doubt them. I see what your getting at though.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well I would have thought that all the phones ship from the Chinese factory with the various carrier locks already coded. The implication of the article was that T- Mob would perform the unlock themselves which would suggest that Apple must give them some sort of software for their service centres to be able to do it, and if that's the case is it a simple few mouse clicks to do it, unless they have to return them to Apple?

The dev team are amazing and I take my hat off to them. I suppose they would know the answer!