+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Listen to Internet radio and surf at the same time!?!

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey guys, I'm new here. I've been trying to listen to my radio stations and surf at the same time.It's getting to be a frustrating mess though. currently I am
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Listen to Internet radio and surf at the same time!?!
    Hey guys, I'm new here.

I've been trying to listen to my radio stations and surf at the same time.It's getting to be a frustrating mess though. currently I am using the media player in Safari to play the stream, letting that run in the background and then surfing with MyFox (alternate browser from Cydia)
    This works sometimes for a short amount of time before the stream cuts out on me and I'm constantly going back to Safari to restart the stream and then opening MyFox again.

Are there any other ways? Any other radio players that run in the bg?

Any help is appreciated. thanks!

Oh and I currently only have 2.1 if that matters.

Thanks

you can do internet radio with vlc media player (in cydia) and then use backgrounder to keep it running while you surf the web. maybe give that a shot????
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default thanks
    Cool thanks,

I tried Backgrounder (I didn't know this existed, cool! )
    and tried to run Tuner in the background while surfing. It works sometimes but it sure crashes a lot.

Can you input addresses for streams in VLC? I couldn't figure that out if you could. Either way, backgrounder is cool but too bad it crashes so much.

I don't think this is a bandwidth issue. 3G should be able to handle a 128k stream and load web pages at the same time no problem. At least I think so? It's not that much data is it?

thanks for the suggestion

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Unfortunately backgrounder stops working after a few moments. It usually only gets me through 2-3 songs on pandora...

iPhone? More like MyPhone MikeYuse0406's Avatar
    Thanks

When using backgrounder on multiple application make sure too keep an eye on your battery meter. Multiple applications running in the background can significantly impact your performance and battery life. However, if you use it wisely, you will still be affected (to an extent), but not as much. I always use backgrounder with Beejive, but when using it along with Pandora also, my battery starts to drop noticeably faster.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MikeYuse0406 View Post
    When using backgrounder on multiple application make sure too keep an eye on your battery meter. Multiple applications running in the background can significantly impact your performance and battery life. However, if you use it wisely, you will still be affected (to an extent), but not as much. I always use backgrounder with Beejive, but when using it along with Pandora also, my battery starts to drop noticeably faster.
    I actually had issues with this. After doing some more research into the nature of the program, I found that backgrounder only runs one partition at a time. Meaning that as soon as you use it for another program, it technically ends the partition. The confusing part about this is that it keeps a log of programs that are "background[ed]". So when you open up an app that has been "background[ed]" and try to enable it, it says that you turned backgrounder off. This is technically incorrect, seeing as how the partition has already ended but hasnt been officially terminated.

Bottom line: you can only have 1 application running backgrounder at a time. And in terms of your battery issue, it shouldnt have too much to do with backgrounder, unless your spending lots of time on your phone. In which case, it could just as easily be the backlight that is draining your battery.
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

Windows Vista

Thanks

I was able to let BeejiveIM and Pandora running in the background at the same time. How can I tell it was working? Simple, I kept receiving IMs in Beejive with the app closed while listening to Pandora with the app closed. I guess it might have had been a side effect or something. Will try again in a few minutes and will post whether it works again simultaneously or not. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Thanks

Okay, disregard my dumb@$$ post. I should have refreshed my memory before posting.

It can be enabled for multiple instances. However, all applications are terminated a short while after your lockscreen is enabled. What I was referring to was completely different.

"Note that only the current instance will be affected; if the application is terminated and relaunched, the new instance will not have backgrounding enabled." - Gaizin. Google Code Documentation.

Meh, my bad!
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

Windows Vista

Thanks

Now that is more like it. I did notice when running the backgrounder on two apps simultaneously that after a while the backgrounder disables itself. That is, if I reopen the app, and keep the home button pressed, I get the pop up saying that backgrounder was enabled. However, it was already enabled and I never disabled it. That was weird.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Your phone has only so much memory, you are really limiting yourself to being able to do anything without crashing it when using two apps at once with all the apple stuff that already runs all the time.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s