Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
11-24-2008, 11:49 PM #1Iphone 2G/2.2 Firmware/Categories
Here are my first impressions with 2.2 on my 16G Iphone 2G .
My Iphone 2G was running a custom 2.1 firmware which was Jailbroken and unlocked.
The main apps I had installed before the upgrade were
- and dozens of other games and utilities which are not too relevant to the upgrade process.
Steps followed for the upgrade
- Did a sync with itunes before the upgrade to backup everything.
- Used the app aptbackup from cydia to backup the list of apps installed via cydia.
- Used the app Appbackup to backup existing Appstore application settings.
- Updated with itunes 8.0.1 to firmware 2.2.
- No issues the phone was still unlocked but not jailbroken.
- Used Quickpwn 2.2 on windows and Jailbroke it.
Phone was then jailbroken and was working. Yay..
I then installed AptBackup via cydia and chose the restore option.
All my apps were reinstalled BUT since I had used categories to group my apps into folders they were now all hidden!
I installed BossPrefs from cydia and used the Poof tool within Boss prefs to select all the apps and unhide them.
Now my apps were visible again and I had to recreate my category folders and regroup them into folders.
After that categories seems to work fine.
Had a strange problem with my IMAP email account that I could not delete mail. It would complain that the mail could not be deleted due to the folder not being available. I went into the Settings->mail->Account->Advanced and changed the deleted mailbox from the Iphone Trash bucket to the deleted folder of my imap account.
After that mail deletion works fine.
One of the easiest firmware upgrades I have done.
Phone seems to be snappier and generally more responsive. Its too early to say for sure but it looks like battery life seems to have improved quite a bit as well with 2.2.
Definitely recommend all 2G users to upgrade.
11-25-2008, 04:45 PM #2
01-05-2009, 11:27 AM #3
Would this AptBackup work with a Windows machine as well?