Results 1 to 20 of 20

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Useful software

  1. #1
    Unhappy Useful software
    Well well... the 2.2 ver of iphone firmware is out... and so what??!?!
    I bought my iphone 3G in July 2008, and I'm a bit disappointed...
    It's like having a main frame computer to make calculations like 1+1 or 2*2...
    It's a GREAT peace of hardware, no doubt about that, but the factory software is poor, the iTunes software e poor and the 3rth party software is a bit better, but also poor... I have this opinion probably because my last phone was a Windows Mobile PDA
    But I explain...
    • Bluetooth - ONLY to use with hands free equipment.... Do not need to say anything more correct?
    • GPS - A bunch of funny app's, but no software with the abilities of software's like TomTom or NDrive or Garmin. The other applications could be funny, but are they really really useful?
    • Contacts - There are no grouping, no categorization of contacts for example
    • Synchronization - If the phone has WiFi and bluetooth.... why not sync via WiFi or Bluetooth ??
    • iPod - Why not a personalized equalization ?
    • Mail - There are many many attachment format's not readable by the internal mail app
    • Player - Does not read WAV, AVI, and many other common file formats
    • Phone - No native MMS... Every phone nowadays as MMS... every phone but iphone!


    These are only some thing I can remember now...
    I hope in near future some more useful software appears
    If I'm wrong, please reply or comment

  2. #2
    Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,265
    Thanks
    819
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

    Bluetooth - known to be highly restrictive since the iPhone first came out.
    GPS - Ok but not great.. you're right.
    Contacts - you can skip to the contact you need or use quick gold to jump right to a contact. what do you need groups/categories for?
    Sync - there are 3rd party apps that will wireless sync
    iPod - there are 22 EQ options in the settings... if that's not enough fine tuning then you have issues!
    Mail - what file formats can't you read?
    Player - This is an APPLE! product. What else did you expect? haha
    MMS - again.. another known issue with the iPhone. SwirlyMMS works great unless you're with AT&T which is blocked. There has been reported success though in some cases. I am one of those cases

    As for the iPhone vs ANY windows mobile phone I would pick the iPhone any day of the week! The apps from Cydia are wonderful. Winterboard lets you mod out your phone completely... and the App Store has over 3,000 programs to choose from. I don't understand your disappointment.. everything you named off seems pretty minor.

  3. #3
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,308
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by antoniomch View Post
    • Bluetooth - ONLY to use with hands free equipment.... Do not need to say anything more correct?
    • GPS - A bunch of funny app's, but no software with the abilities of software's like TomTom or NDrive or Garmin. The other applications could be funny, but are they really really useful?
    • Contacts - There are no grouping, no categorization of contacts for example
    • Synchronization - If the phone has WiFi and bluetooth.... why not sync via WiFi or Bluetooth ??
    • iPod - Why not a personalized equalization ?
    • Mail - There are many many attachment format's not readable by the internal mail app
    • Player - Does not read WAV, AVI, and many other common file formats
    • Phone - No native MMS... Every phone nowadays as MMS... every phone but iphone!
    Bluetooth: What else would you have Bluetooth do that WiFi can't?

    GPS: TomTom et al, all require built-in Maps which take up 1GB or more space. Apple has not come out with Turn-by-Turn directions yet because the technology to download the maps in real-time is still too clunky, and unlike other software makers (aka MS) Apple will not release software they know will operate in a sub-standard fashion.

    Contacts: Grouping is assigned via your computer. (Outlook for PC, Addressbook for Mac). When you're looking at your contacts on the iPhone, you'll see a big friendly "Groups" button at the top left where you can categorize.

    Synchronization: Because USB2 is the fastest?

    iPod: Again, personalized equalization is done through iTunes on your computer. Just make sure "Sound check" is enabled on your iPod.

    Mail: What attachments? I can view .txt, .jpg, .png, .doc, .rtf, .xls ...

    Player (aka iPod): Made by Apple, why should it play someone elses codecs? Does Windoze Media Player play Quicktime movies? Nuff said.

    MMS: Old argument. Why send a picture message when you can send an email?
    Last edited by Eurisko; 11-24-2008 at 12:41 PM.

  4. #4
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,023
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 78 Times in 63 Posts

    Well everyone has their preference of what is useful or not. I have 295 contacts in my phone and use the search constantly. Also, there is apps that allow you to start typing and search your contacts (QuickGold I think).

    No Turn by Turn is a known missing feature. Personally, I would not use it beyond what it does now where I look at a list of directions and tell me where I would need to go.

    Also, MMS is a feature of that again would be cool but something I do not rely on. You can use your email account to send pictures to other phones so its not completely impossible.

    I do wish Apple would open up their software and allow developers to code new applications to handle these features since they refuse to but they are set in their ways.

    There is some great things I like on it beyond a WiMo and Treo phone. I love the WiFi and ability to have command line tools. Makes using networking and security testing great and give me what I need to read emails on the go. Also love the actual REAL web browser (yea minus flash but again, not a big deal for me) which is a petpeve of mine on any other cell phone. If I am paying $30 a month for data I want the full internet, not a one column version of a text only page.

  5. #5
    If we compare the availability of app's to Iphone and to Windows Mobile... there are no comparison. Comparing the harware, Iprefer the iphone in almost everything

    Bluetooth...
    I cannot understand the restrictions
    And What can bluetooth do that wifi can't... simple. Many other phones and mp3 players, notebooks have bluetooth not wifi, they can make file transfers with other bluetooth machines... not with iphone.

    GPS...
    I had TomTom in my PDA. With European map's it didn't take more then 300 or 400MB

    Contacts...
    I have more then 200 contacts, personal, business, etc.. Grouping and categorizations would make easier the search

    Phone... I agree, Swirly MMS is very good indeed, it works for me in Portugal, but it's a standard in other phones...
    And why not search contacts directly in the dial pad? Like is I want to call "Ana" I press the keys 2, 6 and 2?

    IPod... I agree with you, it's probably a minor issue...

    Synchronization... yes, probably faster, but not as fast as wifi, and I'm not "tied" to my PC every time I need to sync with ITunes

    Mail... Does not view WAV, AVI. I know this is an apple machine. But I'm also talking here about 3rth party applications

  6. #6
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,308
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by antoniomch View Post
    GPS...
    I had TomTom in my PDA. With European map's it didn't take more then 300 or 400MB
    haha, that's because the European union would fit inside Taxas. We're talking North American maps here.

  7. #7
    One more thing about MMS...
    There are more phones in the world, and few can use email, and the one who can have to use the internet connection to receive or send an email. Receiving an mms has no charge from the mobile operator
    Receiving an MMS is immediate, receiving an email could be immediate, the phone needs to access the internet from time to time to check the mail
    It's not quite the same thing

  8. #8
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,308
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    It's not the iPhone's fault the lessor phone's don't have email capabilities. by the by, my mobile operator (Rogers) charges big time for MMS. Email however is covered in the Data package. With PUSH, receiving an email is also immediate. And needs to check the internet from time time to? MMS has to check the Message Server, what's the diff?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    haha, that's because the European union would fit inside Taxas. We're talking North American maps here.
    The release of the Iphone 3G was almost worldwide, not only in USA

  10. #10
    Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,265
    Thanks
    819
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

    )Please.. not ANOTHER thread that digresses into a MMS vs email war, haha.

  11. #11
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,308
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by antoniomch View Post
    The release of the Iphone 3G was almost worldwide, not only in USA
    We're not talking about the iPhone. We're talking about the required size of GPS turn-by-turn mapping. So you're saying TOMTOM should only release it's software in Europe because the maps are smaller?

    Regardless of our view points, Apple will release turn by turn when they believe its ready. And they won't let third party Turn-by-Turn Apps be on the iPhone because of liability impacts. It's just a question of time.

  12. #12
    Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    4,823
    Thanks
    551
    Thanked 515 Times in 427 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by antoniomch View Post
    One more thing about MMS...
    There are more phones in the world, and few can use email, and the one who can have to use the internet connection to receive or send an email. Receiving an mms has no charge from the mobile operator
    Receiving an MMS is immediate, receiving an email could be immediate, the phone needs to access the internet from time to time to check the mail
    It's not quite the same thing
    Since when is MMS free? This is news to me.

    To Eurisko: Bluetooth headphones! I am not into the bluetooth headset that everyone is sporting now a days, but man! I really want my headphones.

  13. #13
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,308
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    )Please.. not ANOTHER thread that digresses into a MMS vs email war, haha.
    It's like the PC vs. Mac. LOL No one is going to budge the others view point.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    To Eurisko: Bluetooth headphones! I am not into the bluetooth headset that everyone is sporting now a days, but man! I really want my headphones.
    True enough, but I'd rather sacrifice the wireless for more battery time.
    Last edited by Eurisko; 11-24-2008 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  14. #14
    Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    4,823
    Thanks
    551
    Thanked 515 Times in 427 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    It's like the PC vs. Mac. LOL No one is going to budge the others view point.



    True enough, but I'd rather sacrifice the wireless for more battery time.
    I have given up on my war against the battery. I am going with an external battery that the phone slips into. It should be at my house when I get home in a couple of weeks

    MMS is crap. The pictures are horrible. All nextgen phones will go the route of email and I will be so glad when they do. Then this convo will never happen again.

  15. #15
    I could not agree most. Yes MMS is crap, the future lies in the Internet no doubt.

    Probably my issue is really Apple vs Microsoft

    Apple innovates, in that field it's the 1st
    Microsoft, and windows applications builders follow most of the times those ideas

    But why not maintain some compatibility, or letting IPhone freely, and simply communicate with other equipments for example...
    Last edited by antoniomch; 11-24-2008 at 02:10 PM.

  16. #16
    Livin the iPhone Life reeko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,564
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 166 Times in 136 Posts

    lol @ every single person that wants to be charged by their carrier to send a picture to someone else.

    email is the future for mobile phones. get with it.

    And as for OP, please go back to your winmo. It will make you and everyone here happier.
    Last edited by reeko; 11-24-2008 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine


    LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

    Suck it up, Sucker

  17. #17
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,308
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by antoniomch View Post
    But why not maintain some compatibility, or letting IPhone freely, and simply communicate with other equipments for example...
    It's all about capitalism guy

  18. #18
    Retired Moderator one1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In my own little world
    Posts
    10,318
    Thanks
    349
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by antoniomch View Post
    Well well... the 2.2 ver of iphone firmware is out... and so what??!?!
    I bought my iphone 3G in July 2008, and I'm a bit disappointed...
    It's like having a main frame computer to make calculations like 1+1 or 2*2...
    It's a GREAT peace of hardware, no doubt about that, but the factory software is poor, the iTunes software e poor and the 3rth party software is a bit better, but also poor... I have this opinion probably because my last phone was a Windows Mobile PDA
    But I explain...
    • Bluetooth - ONLY to use with hands free equipment.... Do not need to say anything more correct?
    • GPS - A bunch of funny app's, but no software with the abilities of software's like TomTom or NDrive or Garmin. The other applications could be funny, but are they really really useful?
    • Contacts - There are no grouping, no categorization of contacts for example
    • Synchronization - If the phone has WiFi and bluetooth.... why not sync via WiFi or Bluetooth ??
    • iPod - Why not a personalized equalization ?
    • Mail - There are many many attachment format's not readable by the internal mail app
    • Player - Does not read WAV, AVI, and many other common file formats
    • Phone - No native MMS... Every phone nowadays as MMS... every phone but iphone!


    These are only some thing I can remember now...
    I hope in near future some more useful software appears
    If I'm wrong, please reply or comment
    Real answers........
    [*]Bluetooth - ONLY to use with hands free equipment.... Do not need to say anything more correct?

    Correct, you do not need to say anything more, because you don't know what you are talking about. Bluetooth is used by hackers to insert malicious scripts and to gain control over computers. A fully open bluetooth system that will accept anything is...... well ....windows. Lord knows they don't have virus issues....... Any google search would explain, as I am not going to waste my time on this one as it is common knowledge to anyone that researches before complaining.
    [*]GPS - A bunch of funny app's, but no software with the abilities of software's like TomTom or NDrive or Garmin. The other applications could be funny, but are they really really useful?

    Apple is not stupid enough to open themselves up to lawsuits if the phone tells someone to take a left into a brick wall. Again, common knowledge.
    [*]Contacts - There are no grouping, no categorization of contacts for example

    You obviously do not own a Mac, aside of the iPhone, which you try to use with a windows device that is not capable of using the address book a Mac has.
    [*]Synchronization - If the phone has WiFi and bluetooth.... why not sync via WiFi or Bluetooth ??

    Back to answer #1. "Why not make it open and allow it to sync all kinds of data"? ..... great idea.

    #2- SLOW AS HELL.

    [*]iPod - Why not a personalized equalization ?

    There is, for each and every song one by one in iTunes to set your music. Learn your equipment, learn your software.
    [*]Mail - There are many many attachment format's not readable by the internal mail app

    ..... and they are almost all windows formats.... anyone else amazed by this?
    [*]Player - Does not read WAV, AVI, and many other common file formats

    Reads anything you stick into it through iTunes. Again, know your software. iTunes is the convertor that turns it into the proper format.
    [*]Phone - No native MMS... Every phone nowadays as MMS... every phone but iphone!

    Yep......... and? It doesn't have a trunk and a spare tire either.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    Real answers........
    [*]Bluetooth - ONLY to use with hands free equipment.... Do not need to say anything more correct?

    Correct, you do not need to say anything more, because you don't know what you are talking about. Bluetooth is used by hackers to insert malicious scripts and to gain control over computers. A fully open bluetooth system that will accept anything is...... well ....windows. Lord knows they don't have virus issues....... Any google search would explain, as I am not going to waste my time on this one as it is common knowledge to anyone that researches before complaining.
    [*]GPS - A bunch of funny app's, but no software with the abilities of software's like TomTom or NDrive or Garmin. The other applications could be funny, but are they really really useful?

    Apple is not stupid enough to open themselves up to lawsuits if the phone tells someone to take a left into a brick wall. Again, common knowledge.
    [*]Contacts - There are no grouping, no categorization of contacts for example

    You obviously do not own a Mac, aside of the iPhone, which you try to use with a windows device that is not capable of using the address book a Mac has.
    [*]Synchronization - If the phone has WiFi and bluetooth.... why not sync via WiFi or Bluetooth ??

    Back to answer #1. "Why not make it open and allow it to sync all kinds of data"? ..... great idea.

    #2- SLOW AS HELL.

    [*]iPod - Why not a personalized equalization ?

    There is, for each and every song one by one in iTunes to set your music. Learn your equipment, learn your software.
    [*]Mail - There are many many attachment format's not readable by the internal mail app

    ..... and they are almost all windows formats.... anyone else amazed by this?
    [*]Player - Does not read WAV, AVI, and many other common file formats

    Reads anything you stick into it through iTunes. Again, know your software. iTunes is the convertor that turns it into the proper format.
    [*]Phone - No native MMS... Every phone nowadays as MMS... every phone but iphone!

    Yep......... and? It doesn't have a trunk and a spare tire either.

    I always had bluetooth in my PC and my mobile phones. I know all about the potential threat of using it but I never had any problems at all.... why not? golden rule, turn it on only when you what to use it, simple and , common knowledge.

    GPS... Turn left to a brick wall?? Well..., GPS is an aid, not a blind eye guidance tool, common knowledge.

    And yes I'm a Windows user, and I do not own a Mac. But I do not turn back to technologies. I like to experience them, and I always try to keep an open mind.

    With this post I tried to point some thing I miss from leaving my Windows PDA, probably because I was very used to it. Not to talk bad about the IPhone. I do not regret that I bought one at all, I'm just a bit disappointed about de software, that all...

    If you all understood this post as an Windows vs Apple, it was not my intention at all...

  20. #20
    Livin the iPhone Life reeko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,564
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 166 Times in 136 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by antoniomch View Post
    I always had bluetooth in my PC and my mobile phones. I know all about the potential threat of using it but I never had any problems at all.... why not? golden rule, turn it on only when you what to use it, simple and , common knowledge.

    GPS... Turn left to a brick wall?? Well..., GPS is an aid, not a blind eye guidance tool, common knowledge.

    And yes I'm a Windows user, and I do not own a Mac. But I do not turn back to technologies. I like to experience them, and I always try to keep an open mind.

    With this post I tried to point some thing I miss from leaving my Windows PDA, probably because I was very used to it. Not to talk bad about the IPhone. I do not regret that I bought one at all, I'm just a bit disappointed about de software, that all...

    If you all understood this post as an Windows vs Apple, it was not my intention at all...
    a very gracious response after some roasting, i respect that. unfortunately, your post just demonstrated your lack of knowledge about the iphone. every post like this is from the same type of person, with the same type of complaints, that gets flamed and proved wrong purely because they havent put the time and effort in to learn about the iphone properly.

    you have to understand that people have opened up the iphone to do mad amounts of things now, and the iphone itself is revolutionizing mobile phones around the planet ever since the 2g release.

    bluetooth has been good, but you think nokia with xpres music are going to let you bluetooth bought songs to another nokia phone? and when other handset manufacturers follow suit and team up with amazon etc. you think they are going to be able to bluetooth songs?
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine


    LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

    Suck it up, Sucker

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •