+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: how do you remove the aluminum cover off an iPhone?!

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Ive seen a bunch of youtube videos showing how easy it is to take apart an iPhone. All under 3 mins using anything from the proper tools as sold on
    Thanks

Default how do you remove the aluminum cover off an iPhone?!
    Ive seen a bunch of youtube videos showing how easy it is to take apart an iPhone. All under 3 mins using anything from the proper tools as sold on ebay to just household items such as screwdrivers and razorblades, can openers and guitar picks. Now I have been working on this for over 4 hours and feel like it cant be done! I successfully removed the antenna cover(the small black part on the back) but the rest seems like its JB welded or something. Ive followed the directions and wasted 4 hours and thought I was getting some progress down but then realized that I just bent out the corner of the case and it is still on there tight as ever.

it is mocking me from the other room and i need to finish this project. can somone shoot me some words of wisdom besides be patient?.. cause ive been plenty patient, just havent gotten results. btw, I dont have the plastic wedge opening tool the professionals use.

thanks in advance. Ill post pics of my mangled heap soon

Last edited by reznor9; 11-24-2008 at 08:52 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

have you removed the screws?
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

Thanks

LOL.. yes I removed the screws. I broke one of the clamps and it somehow wedged the case on one side pretty good. I attempted the other side instead, even though all tutorials say not to do the side with the buttons first, and with a razorblade, it popped up within a min or 2... I went back to the other side and did the same thing.. it was very resistant.. had to use a screwdriver to pry up at the same time and finally it gave.. luckily I have a spare backing off the donor phone. so I dont have to use this mangled piece of metal.

The donor phone opened up like butter. Thanks anyways for your response.
    I swapped out the motherboards from the one with the broken screen and the one with the broken commboard and now I turned 2 useless iPhones into 1 working one.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Hmmm, yeah if the phones never been opened before it can be a pain. What you really need to use is the tool designed to "unhinge" the clasps on either side (3 on the left, 4 on the right).....can be done without, but its alot easier to break something....if you put to much tension on it trying to pry it loose, you can easily damage the screen.

Glad to see you didnt do that

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Dude, just forget about it. Why would you wanna crack open your iPhone anyway?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Hmmm, yeah if the phones never been opened before it can be a pain. What you really need to use is the tool designed to "unhinge" the clasps on either side (3 on the left, 4 on the right).....can be done without, but its alot easier to break something....if you put to much tension on it trying to pry it loose, you can easily damage the screen.

Glad to see you didnt do that

and what "tool" would this be?
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by y0ungSir View Post
    Dude, just forget about it. Why would you wanna crack open your iPhone anyway?
    are you retarded? he just said that he was swapping out parts to fix his phone.

Jailbreakin since 1.1.1
    man i wish we could just download the jailbreak from safari just like back in the day.

update: comex has answered my wish.

custom setup:
    Asus m3n78 PRO
    AMD Phenom Quad-core 3.2GHz
    EVGA GTX 260 core 216 processors
    4GB G.Skill RAM
    HDDVD BLU-Ray DVD drive
    150GB Raptor X(has window to see disc)
    500GB WD HD

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cricketlang View Post
    and what "tool" would this be?
    This for example:

1050-CASETOOL iPod/iPhone Safe-Open Case Tools (Set of 2), Apple Mac and iPod Accessories

It allows you to slide the back casing and basically the rest of the iphone apart and pops the clips without you having to "pry" to much on the phone.