Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Have i broken springboard forever?

Default Have i broken springboard forever?
    Hi,

Ive done something double stupid. My phone was running really slow under the 2.1 jailbreak so i thought i would take a backup of my phone in itunes hit restore to get myself onto a stock version of 2.2 then jailbreak from there onwards so i have a fresh version on my phone.

However in practice i failed - badly. Everything works fine after the jailbreak, but anything that was in a categories folder that wasnt a true apple app (apart from settings) is gone including cydia. Is there a way to bring back up these apps on to the springboard manually? i Cant even ssh into the phone.

At this rate im thinking that i may have to restore my phone again and have to live without a jailbroken phone

epic FAIL - and before anyone says it im a dumb *****.

EDIT: OK ive had a cup of tea and a smoke and thought about what ive done. The only way i can think i can sort this situation out is either..

A)find some 2.2 firmware out there with SSH already bundled within it
    or
    B)drop my phone in a glass of water and make a claim on the insuran
    Last edited by tommyp; 11-24-2008 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
    Hi,

Ive done something double stupid. My phone was running really slow under the 2.1 jailbreak so i thought i would take a backup of my phone in itunes hit restore to get myself onto a stock version of 2.2 then jailbreak from there onwards so i have a fresh version on my phone.

However in practice i failed - badly. Everything works fine after the jailbreak, but anything that was in a categories folder that wasnt a true apple app (apart from settings) is gone including cydia. Is there a way to bring back up these apps on to the springboard manually? i Cant even ssh into the phone.

At this rate im thinking that i may have to restore my phone again and have to live without a jailbroken phone

epic FAIL - and before anyone says it im a dumb *****.

EDIT: OK ive had a cup of tea and a smoke and thought about what ive done. The only way i can think i can sort this situation out is either..

A)find some 2.2 firmware out there with SSH already bundled within it
    or
    B)drop my phone in a glass of water and make a claim on the insuran
    A) There is an easy solution to your Categories issue without having to restore. Search for it on this site. (I don't use it).

B) Water damage will void your warranty

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

big question, is your settings app hidden?

if not hidden, go into general > reset > reset all settings

its always a good practice to unhide all your apps b4 restoring, don't forget to resync and stuff b4 too

if you don't have settings unhidden,

you can either do a restore and then setup as a new iphone

OR

restore, once the phone is up and running, b4 itunes imports your settings, jailbreak, if u aren't using a custom ipsw already.

so b4 the settings get restored, install SSH, and SBsettings. make sure u reboot after both are installed, and test your ssh connection.

Import your settings in itunes, now use SBsettings to unhide the hidden apps.
    Last edited by Alperovich; 11-24-2008 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Great thanks for your help. the settings app is hidden so i think i might just go for a restore and then not load the backup.

I assume that's as good as formatting it?

Cheers

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Have you tried using something that uses locations services that gives you the ability to enter Settings through the pop up?

Just download Bossprefs, go to "Poof" and unhide the apps that are "hidden".