Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No display but works perfectly in iTunes

Default No display but works perfectly in iTunes
    Hello!

Im having a very annoying problem. My iPhone seems to be dead, atleast display-wise, since it works perfectly fine with iTunes, but the display doesnt turn on. I've had some problems when trying to mod it, using ZiPhone and PwnageTools, but can the display really become useless due to faulty firmware attempts?

Ive tried the home+sleep button for 20-30sec, as that was kind of the only answer google would provide me with.

Could my display be broken or is there still hope?

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Your display could be damaged. I would try a restore, if its still dead, good chance its shot. But hard to tell without looking at it.

Ive tried with firmware 2.1 and 2.2 and same result. Is there some way i connect to the iPhone in a similiar way remote desktop connection does - but the opposite? Maybe there's graphical setting that makes the screen go black.

During my attempts with firmware, i did manange to get the display working correctly, but after a while it went all white. And now its not working at all. But it does make sounds and can vibrate.

I would just restore it to a new 2.2 and take it in to the apple store and say it happened when you updated to the new FW.
    Mac Pro 2x2.66
    1.3 TB HDD
    6 GB RAM
    2x24" Dell 2405 monitors
    PowerBook 17"
    8GB Gen1 jailbroken Iphone
    16GB 3Gs white
    60 GB ipod

Quote Originally Posted by BLOWNCO View Post
    I would just restore it to a new 2.2 and take it in to the apple store and say it happened when you updated to the new FW.
    I have no receipt since i got it from a friend who couldnt update it anymore. And its bought in US and im residing in sweden.

Is it possible that the firmware update may have damaged the display? I just didnt think firmware could damage hardware with such consequences.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

^^No, the FW wouldnt have dont it.

Are you sure the phone doesnt have any water damage, cause thats what it sounds like.

Thanks

It's a longshot, but try holding the home and power buttons at the same time and then plugging the phone into the usb cable or wall adapter while holding the buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    ^^No, the FW wouldnt have dont it.

Are you sure the phone doesnt have any water damage, cause thats what it sounds like.
    Im pretty sure. Atleast not while in my hands (3weeks).

Could it be a problem with bootloaders or any other sensitive setting that ZiPhone or Pwnage could have occurred?

Quote Originally Posted by soulthoughts View Post
    It's a longshot, but try holding the home and power buttons at the same time and then plugging the phone into the usb cable or wall adapter while holding the buttons.
    Im gonna try this. How does it differ from a regular hard reset or DFU restore? Technically that is.
    Last edited by tilde; 11-26-2008 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

[irrelevant]
    Last edited by tonycortes; 06-09-2010 at 02:27 AM.

Weird thing happend: Been charging my iphone for 2 days. The phone didnt even got warm. If i put it in DFU mode so iTunes can recognize and let it stay at the recovery-prompt, then the backside of the phone gets abit warm. Could it be a battery issue? The former owner apparently tried to bent it open, since it got some scratch marks on the back cover.

Anyway, when i got back from work today the iphone has been docked to my pc all day. I push the power-button and hopes for nothing, and the screen turns all white! I redo the update to 2.2 and the quickpwn procedure after that. Syncs perfectly with iTunes and the screen turns white when i press the sync-button. Good news! The display isnt dead! But i would be even happier if i could use my iPhone for more than just a flashlight

Any ideas?

[irrelevant]
    Last edited by tonycortes; 06-09-2010 at 02:26 AM.