Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 2.2 and System Files

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Default 2.2 and System Files
    Call me slow, but I just realized that everytime you update, it creates a new series of files and seemingly renders the old files useless.

I started going through the old files that i recognized, starting with the applications folder. The last version of the applications folder was Applications.Sek9bR, the new one is Applications.8sPOwT. I copied the old one to a secure location and then went through and deleted alot information, litterally half a gig. Seeing as how I already backed up my old info, and installed new info, it was useless. I checked this theory by running through all the fresh installed applications on the springboard. They all worked fine.

So my question is, does anyone have a clear idea of what files 2.2 installed(include.,libexec., Ringtones.,share., Wallpaper.)? I'm not hurting for the space, but I'd like to get rid of useless info. Thanks in advance.
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

Windows Vista

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Every time you UPDATE you loose approx 500MB of storage space. It is always better to RESTORE so you start from a clean phone and don't lose this space. Just think... someone that updated 3 or 4 times quite possibly has up to 2 gigs worth of old files.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

Grassmasta (11-23-2008)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Hmm, I suppose I should have tried that 3 updates ago. lol. I appreciate the response, and unfortunately, I already spent 2 hrs reinstalling everything (apt backup decidedly didnt work for me), so perhaps on the next install I'll do a fresh one. For now, I'm just gonna go through and delete the useless crap. Thanks again.
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

Windows Vista