Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 2.1 to 2.2 worth the upgrade?

Default 2.1 to 2.2 worth the upgrade?
    Hey
    Just wondering
    the ppl that upgrade to 2.2 any big difference???

iPhone? More like MyPhone MikeYuse0406's Avatar
    Thanks

I definitely would say to go and upgrade. You will get a few more and better features in the 2.2 FW. In addition, I find my 3G (now running 2.2 jailbroken) to work more smoothly and more responsive. I also like the google street view, the ability to download podcast from the built-in itunes app, and the new app store. I find the 2.2 FW to be much better than 2.1

My iPhone is a Part of Me IvanPK's Avatar
    Thanks

It's OK. Most of the additions are subtle. However, i definitely notice things run MUCH faster now. I think it's partly because it's a new firmware and partly because a lot of junk was deleted off my phone :P

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok this is a dumb question but if I upgrade from 2.1 Unlocked/Jailbroken to 2.2 will this relock my phone or just un-jailbrake it? thanks!
    <*~Andrea~*>
    iPhone 1st Gen. 8GB
    Unlocked/Jailbroken 2.1
    Windows Vista

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks

i would recommend to upgrade. not for the features, 2.x is so buggy right now and has been since release that any step forward is a good step for your phone and your battery life.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Ya I was reading on the features they seems very useless to me but the speed is interests me greatly
    I gonna wait for the jailbroken apps to work like sbsetting and what not before upgrading though can't live without sbsetting now haha

so you cant use jailbroken apps on 2.2?

My iPhone is a Part of Me Chefanim's Avatar
    Thanks

SB Setting works fine, as well as swirly MMS and MySMS. (My Main 3 Jailbroken apps)

Winterboard is also working just fine

@iBabe:

If you are on a 2G phone it will just un-jailbreak it, but quickpwn can fix that
    So long, and thanks for all the fish

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Sure, go and update. it really worth, the phone much more Faster!! and i mean it Fasterrr than before no hangs. if you're one of these ppl who used cracked ipa then no problem, there is a new patch for 2.2 somewhere and you even can download it using cydia after you add their sources. anyway i don't care about the new feature, but the speed is pretty awesome.

Thanks

I'm still sceptical, I keep reading many threads throughout this forum of people having disasters upgrading to 2.2. More specifically for Tmobile users. I guess their adapters aren't unlocking their 2.2 Iphones.

I use a Gevey 3G sim and I even got 2 emails from the seller specifically telling me NOT to upgrade to 2.2, that was cool of them to do that.

If you're looking for the speed increase there is a thread somewhere on this forum that shows you how to that through SSH or something.

As of now I think I'll wait until I know for sure a Gevey 3G is able to unlock a 2.2 Iphone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone JackSchitt's Avatar
    Thanks

2.2 has done me well. No complaints here. I am i can turn auto correction off. I notice i mispell alot of stuff but thats not a big deal. I just take my time typing now. Anyone that is in doubt should update.

after doing it on my 1g 16gb, it wasnt really worth it. this release was more for fixing issues with the 3g's signal and xfer speeds and adding some pretty useless features.

havent noticed any speed increases or anything. it does stutter more on the keyboard compared to 2.1. the signal meter also goes wild now, losing signal for no apparent reason, which it never did with 2.1. backups now take twice as long or longer than they did with 2.1.

but yeah, if u have a 1gen, i wouldnt bother with it unless you MUST have streetview or something. bookmarking podcasts isnt supported so it's useless to me... you have to either keep one downloaded episode per podcast on the device at all times or it drops off your show list and you have to search and re-add it every time: LAME.

if u have a 3g it's worth the update, but make sure you use the dev team's method for maintaining the old bootloader or your phone wont be worth **** as it wont be unlockable when the dev team releases the 3g unlocker in the coming weeks.

iPhone? More like MyPhone JackSchitt's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oakie View Post

if u have a 3g it's worth the update, but make sure you use the dev team's method for maintaining the old bootloader or your phone wont be worth **** as it wont be unlockable when the dev team releases the 3g unlocker in the coming weeks.
    yeah i think i have seen that warning about a thousand times.