+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: going abroad for 4 months, need advice

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I am going to be studying abroad in France for four months. I really would like to take advantage of the features my phone has when I'm abroad but a
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default going abroad for 4 months, need advice
    I am going to be studying abroad in France for four months. I really would like to take advantage of the features my phone has when I'm abroad but a lot of them require an Internet connection (google maps, free translator, safari,). I will have wifi so I know that i can just put airplane mode and use wifi.

I was wondering if there are also any options to make applicTions like google maps offline. I guess I would be looking for applications geared towarda the iPod touch since I would pretty much be turning my phone into that. Also,might jailbreaking my phone open more options to me for offline support?

Thanks
    Mos

Thanks

If your going for 4 months, you could get an Orange sim card PAYG from France, restore in iTunes and then activate the phone after restore with the french sim card. As its legit it should go through fine, and if you get some sort of data allowance you will be able to use it exactly as you do now.

If it's a 2g iphone you can just get any sim card with the best data tariff and unlock it.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks reeko
    I guess I should have mentioned I have a 2g iPhone. With the sim card, would I get it in the states or just have my phone unlocked before I go and get a sim card there?

Thanks

well you need to unlock it and activate it using the pwnage tool and then get the best data rate sim card you can in france. i think you should be able to use it as a touch and wifi etc. without a sim card in, but if your there for 4 months you may aswell get a cheap sim card whilst there.

however, if you are going to get an orange sim card in france you dont want to choose to activate when using the pwnage tool. orange is the official carrier of the iphone in france and it will activate itself in itunes. if you choose activate in the pwnage tool then get an orange sim card, you will get no service until you repwn/restore the phone.

you can use the pwnage tool etc. whilst in france, the power of the internet

Suck it up, Sucker

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    If your going for 4 months, you could get an Orange sim card PAYG from France, restore in iTunes and then activate the phone after restore with the french sim card. As its legit it should go through fine, and if you get some sort of data allowance you will be able to use it exactly as you do now.

If it's a 2g iphone you can just get any sim card with the best data tariff and unlock it.
    Wait, aren't iPhones purchased in the US locked to AT&T only? Why would it activate with an Orange SIM?

Thanks

my first iPhone 2g was imported from new york, im in the uk. it worked fine unlocked on orange and activated fine with my o2 sim card when i switched carriers.

the iphone is not region locked, which is why when the phone is not activated and it has the slide for emergency text, it comes up in many languages.

Suck it up, Sucker

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Oh, so as long as you activate with one of the approved carriers, it works?

Thanks

i think so ye, it worked with me. the only thing was a region patch from installer to get the numbers to be recognised properly when recieving a text/call because the numbers in america + UK are different, but i believe apple has fixed this in 2.x.

Suck it up, Sucker