+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Removing 3rd Party Software

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Okay so here's the short version: I bought and unlocked an Iphone from the US (I live in Canada) in May 2008...about 5 months ago. I bought a Rogers sim
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Unhappy Removing 3rd Party Software
    Okay so here's the short version:

I bought and unlocked an Iphone from the US (I live in Canada) in May 2008...about 5 months ago. I bought a Rogers sim card and everything has been wonderful, until last week.
    I started getting the Repair Needed message and did some research. And yes I had been using a magnet case hence the problems!! So I waited to see if it would go away, but it didn't. So I tried restoring it and following all sorts of instructions. Every time I restored I would get a different error, 1011 the only one I couldn't make go away. For a couple days it was suck at the connect to itunes picture, but eventually I could turn it on again. Now it's been over a week with no calling, texting or speakers.
    Now I feel that I have gone as far as I can without completely breaking the phone all together. So I have called Apple Support to see if they would send a new iphone/repair it. Though I know I voided the warranty when unlocking it. I asked if there was anyway to fix it and she told me ... if you remove the 3rd party software you can send it back. So my question is how do I do this? What does she mean? Should I put the original sim card back in?

Please help me I am desperate. It's an IPhone 1st generation if that's important and unlocked with ZiPhone.

Thanks

I don't even think you need a sim card in when you send it back at all, so no.

Simply go into iTunes and restore it and you'll be back to stock. Easy as pie. If you don't know how to do that, search the forums; it's very easy to do...
    Respect your elders.

Thanks

make sure you do a DFU restore if your having issues like that i think.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Okay which firmware do I restore it to? Or do I just click the restore button in itunes?

Thanks

Last edited by cricketlang; 11-20-2008 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

^And what does this do? Get rid of the message/fix my problems or put it back to factory state?

Thanks

it will start you from scratch with a jailbroken iphone. not only will it be back to factory state but you will jailbreak it too. right from scratch

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Every time I try to restore like the link you gave me I get error 1011. What do I do about that?
    ps Thanks for your help so far!

Thanks

you really could have screwed up your chances of exchanging it for a new one by telling them that you have jailbroken your phone. you were just lucky enough to get a nice enough person.

also

how do you jailbreak your phone without knowing what the meaning of 3rd party apps is? seriously people, you gotta do your homework before you dilly dally around with their iphone. for example about 7 months ago my friend got a new iphone. he decided to jailbreak it without lookin up how to do it. he ended up putting ipod touch firmware onto it rendering it useless as a phone. luckily i saved his phone for him. sorry for the story, point is, dont JB unless you know what your doin.

Jailbreakin since 1.1.1
    man i wish we could just download the jailbreak from safari just like back in the day.

update: comex has answered my wish.

custom setup:
    Asus m3n78 PRO
    AMD Phenom Quad-core 3.2GHz
    EVGA GTX 260 core 216 processors
    4GB G.Skill RAM
    HDDVD BLU-Ray DVD drive
    150GB Raptor X(has window to see disc)
    500GB WD HD

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

^ Great well thanks for that it really helped me...not.

Seriously my phone worked for a good 5 months and I didn't do anything new to it so I'm pretty sure it wasn't something I did. If you could offer some real help that would be great.

Thanks

Make sure you get it into DFU mode for the restore and restore it to stock, you don't want to be jailbroken again if you're going to be sending it in.

Look it up on here or Google or YouTube. Once that's done you shouldn't be getting any error message...
    Respect your elders.