Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Restoring a Jailbroken iPhone made Painless (relatively)

Thanks

nice guide

any help greatly appreciated. I had a Jailbroken and unlocked Iphone 4 (contract ATT US) but used in New Zealand. I restored it to factory setting post jail break and now my phone is locked and asking for the original SIM card which i don't have. The Phone now has a emergency caller option and obviously does not owrk. Any way to sort this......Cheers

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

would this still be the correct process (in the OP) for restoring a JB iPhone 4 on 4.0, upgrading to 4.0.1?

from what i can tell, both cydia apps are compatible with 4.0....

Is this still the way to go to restore running ios 4.0.1 on an iPhone 4. After installing my 3G I have a list of problems. I'm in desperate need of a full restore and now 4.0.2 is out, great.
    Thanks

Have you not backed up your SHSH's like you're supposed to? Good thing you still can (I think). Look around a bit. You'll figure it out. This method should still apply to the iPhone 4 even though I haven't actually tried it yet.

i have them backed up for 4.0 on umbrella, but if i connect to itunes it still tells me to upgrade. so what am i restoring from?

You're gonna have to download an ios 4.0 firmware from here on MMi. Then hold shift while you click restore in iTunes and choose the 4.0 firmware you downloaded. This will only work if you've modified your hosts file to point iTunes at sauriks restore server. Instructions for doing that can be found here on MMi as well or by a quick google search. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by bharath_yp View Post
    dude is there any way for me to go back to the original set as mine i s jailbroken on the first day i bought the phone and people told me that now suport and warranty is void please help with this is there any way make it the original packaging set?
    search and download your firmware version.
    hold "shift" on pc, or "option" on mac, in itunes, and click on "restore".
    select the downloaded firmware.
    this should revert your iphone back to a clean state. there are many tutorials here and elsewhere that explain this better.
    and i wouldnt worry about the warranty unless u have an extended one, or ur just clumsy. ;p

Thanks

Good post thanks for sharing

Most iPhones are sold with a SIM lock, which restricts the use of the phone to one particular carrier, a common practice with subsidized GSM phones. Unlike most GSM phones however, the phone cannot be officially unlocked by entering a code. The locked/unlocked state is maintained on Apple's servers per IMEI and is set when the iPhone is activated.
    WE DO NOT ALLOW SPAMMING!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hosanna For This Useful Post:

Fizzerman (10-06-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Okay so I need some help my restoring my iPhone to iOS 4.0. I downloaded the update from Gizmodo.

Placed the update in the directory, C:/Users/Username/App Data/Roaming/Apple Computers/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates. If that even matters.

In iTunes i held shift and clicked restore and selected the update. So when I went to update i got the error telling me the iPhone could not be restored (3194).

I then tried putting my iPhone into DFU mode to restore, but when i did that to restore i was told my build wasn't compatible.

Help would be appreciated thanks. =]

Thanks

ive read this thread about 100 times bc im scared to death to JB and lose all my info. im on iphone 4 with 4.0, i might try to upgrade to 4.1 (for HDR and gamecenter) soon. ill follow the instructions to the "T" so i can ensure that i dont lose any info.

hope it goes well...

Quote Originally Posted by kadinh View Post
    ive read this thread about 100 times bc im scared to death to JB and lose all my info. im on iphone 4 with 4.0, i might try to upgrade to 4.1 (for HDR and gamecenter) soon. ill follow the instructions to the "T" so i can ensure that i dont lose any info.

hope it goes well...
    You can't go wrong with Chronus. It is idiot proof. I have found that after you load old information after a restore - you have to clear out the TimeMachine folder because new backups will not overwrite the old ones.

Just a little snag I hit - nothing major. You'll see.

Make sure you back up at least once a month - I had a systemwide failure for some reason - I think I downloaded an iPhone 4 only theme and it replaced a system file or something... anywho - I was able to restore all of my lost data upgrade to 4.0 and downgrade to 3.1.2 all in one evening.

Easy as pie!

tim

Thanks

Well...

After some time waiting for all the folders to copy to my desktop (and getting the "low disk space" message a lot; dumb old laptop) and trial and error with greenpoison and limera1n, GP finally did the trick, but I didn't have time to back anything up.

At least the JB went through, right? Always can have more fun tomorrow trying to get all my JB programs and settings back.

i HATE restoring......

UPDATE:

so the jailbreak took a couple of times to work. i used GP a couple of times (didnt work) then i went to limera1n (it said it was successful, but there was no icon). so i manually put my phone in DFU mode and then started GP and it finally worked. the appbackup files were not in the SSH location described in the 1st post and i didnt have enough room for my 700 pics in the camera roll.

so after restoring as a new phone and losing everything i had to make a 100% stock phone (no contacts, no settings) i decided to restore from my previous backup (so i could at least get my pics back so i can restore them again). after waiting for about 2 hours, now my phone looks like it did on 4.0, but now there is no service! i ejected the SIM, i rebooted, i hard rebooted....nothing.....

im about to throw my laptop against the wall since its not working right. why does this always happen to ME when i try to update???!!!
    Last edited by kadinh; 10-15-2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Well...

After some time waiting for all the folders to copy to my desktop (and getting the "low disk space" message a lot; dumb old laptop) and trial and error with greenpoison and limera1n, GP finally did the trick, but I didn't have time to back anything up.

At least the JB went through, right? Always can have more fun tomorrow trying to get all my JB programs and settings back.

i HATE restoring......

UPDATE:

so the jailbreak took a couple of times to work. i used GP a couple of times (didnt work) then i went to limera1n (it said it was successful, but there was no icon). so i manually put my phone in DFU mode and then started GP and it finally worked. the appbackup files were not in the SSH location described in the 1st post and i didnt have enough room for my 700 pics in the camera roll.

so after restoring as a new phone and losing everything i had to make a 100% stock phone (no contacts, no settings) i decided to restore from my previous backup (so i could at least get my pics back so i can restore them again). after waiting for about 2 hours, now my phone looks like it did on 4.0, but now there is no service! i ejected the SIM, i rebooted, i hard rebooted....nothing.....

im about to throw my laptop against the wall since its not working right. why does this always happen to ME when i try to update???!!!
    This is why I am still on 3.1.2 with SHSH's backed up. I was on 4.0.1 for about 5 minutes because of a system crash and immediately downgraded. I don't have time to port my favorite themes ATM - and 4.x does not have SnowCover Pro.

tim

Thanks

ive calmed down a bit since then. i went home and SSH'd all my photos to my HDD (i found 30GB of music that was taking up precious space that i didnt desperately need) and im going to restore fresh and SHH in the necessary files tonight.

but i still didnt find the appbackup file in the directory anywhere... any help?

ive calmed down a bit since then. i went home and SSH'd all my photos to my HDD (i found 30GB of music that was taking up precious space that i didnt desperately need) and im going to restore fresh and SHH in the necessary files tonight.

but i still didnt find the appbackup file in the directory anywhere... any help?
    What backup program do you use? Are you trying to backup information or actual apps?

Thanks

ps - i turned on airplane mode, then turned it off and it connected to the network.

i feel dumb now.

I did this and mostly it went very well but when I ssh'd my contacts back into the phone now I can not add new contacts and it will also not let me sync contacts.

is there something else I need to change?

Thanks

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Blastfurnace View Post
    I did this and mostly it went very well but when I ssh'd my contacts back into the phone now I can not add new contacts and it will also not let me sync contacts.

is there something else I need to change?

Thanks

Mark
    The best way to do all this is with Chronus - I've had your problem before. You need to change the permissions on your contacts folder and all files within.

Chronus does not cause this problem - so next time... use chronus.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast