Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Restoring a Jailbroken iPhone made Painless (relatively)

The person who finally gets it right will probably make a ton of cash. If they charge for it of course. I would be happy to pay 10-20 dollars for it.

Ok I have a few questions about this. In step B, Timecapsle seems to just be an empty folder. What gives? In step E, I can't find the Youtube folder under var/mobile/library. And don't Appbackup and Chronus do the same thing? What's up with using both? Thanks.

Oh yeah, forgot to add that I'm using a 32gb 3GS. Does this method even apply to the 3GS?
    Last edited by Cory Gillmore; 07-15-2009 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

TimeCapsule is the folder for Chronus backups. So once you have Chronus backup your stuff then the TimeCapsue folder should hove stuff. AppBackup is the same Just because you run it you still have to transfer the backup files to your desktop and put them back on your iPhone to restore the data. Remember you are not backing up your iphone in itunes but restoring as a new iphone with this method.

Not sure whats up with a 3GS. Just ordered mine the other day- think its coming next week.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

Is there anyway to incorporate Aptbackup into this process. It says that it takes a list of every package you have installed and stores it in iTunes. Could you backup with it then SSH into the phone and copy it over to comp instead of using it with iTunes? Aptbackup seems like a great app. It doesn't backup/restore the actual settings or data of jailbroken apps. It just makes a list of them AND REINSTALLS EVERY PACKAGE YOU HAD BACKED UP. That seems like good stuff. What do you think?

Thanks

I used AptBackup once and its not a perfect means of reinstalling your apps. I ended up having to fix a bunch of permissions and ownership issues. It doesnt reinstall the apps in a really specific order or do the reboots and such. I ended up spending as much time researching and fixing problems than I would have taken had I just installed all my apps manually.

Oh ok, thanks for the heads up!

Have you tried the $2 Pkgbackup yet? It looks promising. I may be wrong, but I think it also backups/restores app settings as well.
    Last edited by Cory Gillmore; 07-19-2009 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by juda1 View Post
    This looks good, surely gota be worth the $2?
    Just bought it today- Ill see how it works when I get my 3GS (hopefully tomorrow according to Fed Ex). I dont wonder if it somehow manages to automate what AptBackup does.

Thanks

Updated the guide to include PkgBackup and a few other tweaks I found were needed for using AppBackup and Chronus on 3.0 firmware.

I imagine it would be the same for 3.0.1, but I don't plan on upgrading to 3.0.1 and will be waiting for 3.1.

Don't forget that if you use Pkgbackup, you don't have to SSH your themes folder over. It saves your themes too!

Default pkgbackup didnt work?
    ok i just followed simple instructions and hoped they worked....
    - i hit backup in my pkgbackup app
    - i restored my iphone 3gs, firmware 3.0.1
    - re-installed pkgbackup

but where it says restore it says 0 of 0 packges? wtf.. and the notes it saved in my contact list are still there, so is there anyway you could direct pkgbackup to use those notes or something.... anything at all would help!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by samvanzeeland View Post
    ok i just followed simple instructions and hoped they worked....
    - i hit backup in my pkgbackup app
    - i restored my iphone 3gs, firmware 3.0.1
    - re-installed pkgbackup

but where it says restore it says 0 of 0 packges? wtf.. and the notes it saved in my contact list are still there, so is there anyway you could direct pkgbackup to use those notes or something.... anything at all would help!
    Did you sync the iphone after you backed up in pkgbackup before you restored? Youu also need to resync in itunes before you restore the packages after restoring.

yep i sure did, cus i figured its saves in contacts so ild have to sync in order to get it on itunes before the restore and sync after in order to get it back onto my phone.......... but ive already done it the long and painfull way but thanks anway

Gud day. I have a problem with my iphone 3g v3.0. i downloaded from cydia icattegories which i(stupid of me)click on edit. Then my phone went blank and it just keep on rebooting. What happened here? I can't fix it even tried to hard reset still wont work. Can you pls help me? I cant use my phone right now. Thanks
    Andrei

Hello peepz! I gotta problem that requires your invaluable intellect.... I restored my jailbroken iphone, updated and then jailbroke again, however when I try to sync with iTunes, every app I used with Categories is not coming up on my iPhone! I hear I should have taken them out of Categories before backing up and restoring, but its too late now so how do I get them to show up on the phone?!?

I have all the apps in iTunes, (free ones, paid for legally and cracked apps) but how to get them to show up on my iPhone 3G?!?!

You mustve restored from a previous backup. Your problem is easily fixed thankfully. Just install SBSettings and go into the "More" part of it. From there go into "Hide Icons" and uncheck all the icons that are currently not showing up. Problem solved. Same thing happened to me.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cory Gillmore For This Useful Post:

judge007 (08-21-2009)

Thank you, that solved most of it but I seem to have duplicate icons in the categories folder and also on my home screen. If I delete one of them, they both go!! Any idea how to fix that?

You advice is much appreciated..

Just reinstall the programs that are doing that. There's nit any App Store apps doing that is there? I've never had that happen if so. But if it's JB apps that are duplicating just reinstall them. That always did it for me.

Oh wait, just go in to categories and remove then add the apps that are doing that. No need to reinstall them. I forgot about that. Just remove then add again. It sounds like it wouldn't hurt you to restore your phone as new. Use the guide in this forum to do so. It's really worth the trouble. You won't lose any of your app data either if done correctly. Give it a shot. Contact Bhzl or me if you have any questions about the process. It can be tedious but once you do it one time you'll be able to do it again without even glancing at this forum again.
    Last edited by Cory Gillmore; 08-21-2009 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Cory Gillmore For This Useful Post:

judge007 (08-21-2009)

Thanks for your guidance but what I did was remove all the apps from categories and deleted it, the re-installed Categories and moved all the apps back in! Did the job...nice one for your help!

Glad I could help man. No written thanks required. There's a button for that!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Cory Gillmore For This Useful Post:

judge007 (08-21-2009)

Sorry Gillmore, u can c am new to this! LOL

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast