+ Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Restoring a Jailbroken iPhone made Painless (relatively)

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Thank you. I've been looking for something like this. Originally Posted by box ok one problem. is there a step i missed. i got my fully jail broken. i got
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Boker's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you. I've been looking for something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by box View Post
    ok one problem. is there a step i missed. i got my fully jail broken. i got a 3g 8 gig. 2.1- but it wont' read my at&t sim. it doesn't detect service? any suggestions.
    try to: Reset the iPhone by clicking the home button and top button at the same time till the device is rebooted or use a paper clip to pop out the sim card and place it back in.
    Last edited by Boker; 03-25-2009 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

when my iphone was going through the process of jailbreaking as it was rebooting it got stuck on the pinapple screen and now wont go anywhere from there. How do I restore it if when I plug it into itunes the computer doesnt even recognize that there is a device plugged in and it wont show my iphone in itunes now what do I do please help I dont know what to do

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by killerdana View Post
    when my iphone was going through the process of jailbreaking as it was rebooting it got stuck on the pinapple screen and now wont go anywhere from there. How do I restore it if when I plug it into itunes the computer doesnt even recognize that there is a device plugged in and it wont show my iphone in itunes now what do I do please help I dont know what to do
    Put the iPhone in DFU mode and iTunes will recognize it and you can restore.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

Banned
    Thanks

wow, im glad i stumbled on this. i have to restore my phone soon!

Thanks

I didn't see this thread before & posted about saving that library folder for backup.
    I am on WinXP and saved it to my pc yesterday & didn't have any problems. Is everything we need in there?

It took a while to copy it all.

Any specific reason only Macs can skip those steps in orig post?
    Last edited by LuvMYiPhone; 05-07-2009 at 01:01 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks a ton... i just wish i found this like 2 weeks earlier when i had to restore i will definitely use this the next time my iphone runs into some more problems

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

Will Chronus and AppBackup save "save game" files from AppStore games? If not... how the heck do I do that? Saved games is the biggest downside for restore for me.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

This should be updated to reflect 3.0 firmware updates

Thanks

I'm currently on vacation in Europe and will not be upgrading my own phone until I return to the US next week. I will update this once I go through the upgrade to 3.0 process.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

swoite I will check back in a week or two cheers.

Thanks

Info: iPhone 2G 8GB with restored 3.0 fw and jailbroken/unlocked using redsn0w

Ok. AppBackup is the answer to my question. This process works like a charm on most points.

Questions:

1. When I copy /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/Mail, restore, jailbreak, and SSH the above folder back onto my iPhone my accounts do not show up.
    --looks like this:
    /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/Mail/xxx - backed up subfolders

2. Same goes with: Weather and Stocks. The only difference is there are no files under /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/Stocks(and/or Weather)

My weather and stocks info is long gone... but I still have all of my Mail backup stuff. Please tell me what I am doing wrong. Am I SSH'ing a file back onto my iPhone that i don't need to?

thanx for the help

tim
    Last edited by klouud; 06-26-2009 at 02:20 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    Will Chronus and AppBackup save "save game" files from AppStore games? If not... how the heck do I do that? Saved games is the biggest downside for restore for me.
    never mind. AppBackup works like a charm. Thanx for the write up. Works with Windows and redsn0w just fine.

tim

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thats for sure jailbreaking make iPhone painless just need to take some pain at the time you are curing it to be painless.

Thanks

Just to update:

Finally upgraded to 3.0 yesterday and the same method applies, Just the jailbreak method changes- redsn0w or Pwnage 3.0.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

you forgot if you want to backup sms history, call history, cache, bookmarks and contacts (besides using itunes) then copy the folders of the same name in User/Library folder

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rest_easy View Post
    you forgot if you want to backup sms history, call history, cache, bookmarks and contacts (besides using itunes) then copy the folders of the same name in User/Library folder
    Thanks- I always use iTunes so I didn't think of this . I added a note to the original post.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I'm so uptight... I take screenshots prior to restoring/upgrading and upload them to PhotoBucket so I have a reference point. Every icon goes back in the same spot.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I wasn't quite sure which files to copy, Thanks!

Thanks

This post is a godsend. Thank you for this. I'm very new to the jailbreaking scene, even though I've been using an iPhone since day one. But after using my jailbroken 3GS for a week, I will never use another unjailbroken iPhone again! Winterboard and SBSettings alone are worth the JB.

This is a great method and all but I would pay good money for an iTunes esque desktop client thats sole purpose is to seamlessly backup/restore jailbroken iPhones. This method seems like it does the trick nicely, but I'm talking about a 1 click process. Me only being jailbroken for about a week, I haven't had to do a restore yet. And I'm not really looking foward to it either. While your method seems good and is very well explained, it shouldn't have to take so many processes. Hopefully someone is hard at work coding a nice streamlined desktop app specifically for us jailbroken iPhone users. They'll certainly get my $!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Gillmore View Post
    This post is a godsend. Thank you for this. I'm very new to the jailbreaking scene, even though I've been using an iPhone since day one. But after using my jailbroken 3GS for a week, I will never use another unjailbroken iPhone again! Winterboard and SBSettings alone are worth the JB.

This is a great method and all but I would pay good money for an iTunes esque desktop client thats sole purpose is to seamlessly backup/restore jailbroken iPhones. This method seems like it does the trick nicely, but I'm talking about a 1 click process. Me only being jailbroken for about a week, I haven't had to do a restore yet. And I'm not really looking foward to it either. While your method seems good and is very well explained, it shouldn't have to take so many processes. Hopefully someone is hard at work coding a nice streamlined desktop app specifically for us jailbroken iPhone users. They'll certainly get my $!
    A one click restore app would be nice and some have tried to make one but no one has yet been successful.