+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: cracked glass, need advice

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi all, new to the forums and need some advice. I recently acquired an 8 gig iPhone 2G that's not in the best of shape. Planning on unlocking and jailbreaking
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default cracked glass, need advice
    Hi all, new to the forums and need some advice.

I recently acquired an 8 gig iPhone 2G that's not in the best of shape. Planning on unlocking and jailbreaking it, but before I get down to that there's hardware repairs that need to be done. There is a crack along the bottom of the screen, starting about an 1/8th of an inch from the bottom of the screen on the left side, and tracing across to about 1/2 inch form the bottom on the right. It's low enough on the screen that it doesn't cause to many problems, but the touch screen doesn't function at all below the crack.

As far as I can tell the loss of touch sensitivity follows the crack perfectly. Touch north of the crack, everythings kosher. Touch south of the crack, and it's a no-go. My question is, is it just the crack in the glass that's causing this issue? replacement glass fronts are cheap enough, and I'm handy enough that I'm confident I can do the repair myself, but will this correct my problem?

Thanks

You need to ask the master of iphone repair of this site...

Apple Forums | ModMyi.com | iPhone, iPod, Mac, OS X, Mods, More - View Profile: cpjr

He does alot of that work. i suggest you ask him.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Haha, thanks. I would call 1one the master....im an apprentice

No, on a 2g iphone....the glass, digitizer and LCD are all fused together from the factory. Trying to pull them apart will break em.

The touch comes from the digitizer, regardless of the condition of the glass.

If you want to fix it, you'll have to buy the entire piece....which will include the glass front, digitizer and LCD. They usually run between $150-$180 for the part.

And yeah, there are people that sell just the glass only....but its useless cause you'll never get the old glass off without breaking something else. But doesnt matter, your problem is also the digitizer.

Thanks

i will admit that 1one is pretty good himself (im a fan of his custom backplate he made...i want one.. and i dont want to pay for it. hahahaha. yeah cpjr. i will definately be seeking your personal help when it comes time to get my phone up and running. but i DID get the poster to someone who can help him

Thanks

Hahahaha, well thats what we are here for

Thanks

of course. i pretty much like talk to you on these postings around this time. hahahaha. i told you man.. i love this place and i like live here now. i have been to like every other forum and this place is the best and has the best people too.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ouch, not the answer I was hoping for, but thanks for the info. Unfortunately that repair is going to have to wait for a while then, and I'll have to work around a few apps interfaces, ah well. means I don't have to worry about unlocking it for a bit

Any good discussions on painting an iphone you could point me towards?

Thanks

dude as far as painting an modding goes THAT i would refer to one1. i love his work.

Apple Forums | ModMyi.com | iPhone, iPod, Mac, OS X, Mods, More - View Profile: one1

Thanks

^^Oh yes. I have had plenty of AIM discussions with him over these things..hahahaha.

Im gonna post a Tutorial in a few days explaining how to replace your back case.

Ive got a 2g 16gigger bought cheap w/ a cracked screen and looked horrible.

I replaced the screen and am waiting on a new oem (and black) back and a new antenna cover. I'll post it when I get done.

I would have redone the old back....but it was actually cracked around the silent switch and I wanted this thing to look new when I got done.