Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Battery not holding a charge very well

Default Battery not holding a charge very well
    I've had my iphone 3g jailbroken for a while now, but I have never experienced such bad battery life. Ever since I installed SBSettings and a theme that used javascript, my battery life has been fluctuating wildly. I always make sure 3g, SSH, and wifi are off, and even after uninstalling the theme nothing helps. One night my battery goes from 100% to 96%, the next night it goes from 100% to 32%. Anyone have similar problems or a solution? I know restoring will probably help but that would be my last resort.
    Quote Originally Posted by dayloon View Post
    Cydia urinates on installer from a great height.
    Thank me if you find that quote funny or if I helped

My suggestion would be to restore (I know, it sucks) and not install the things you think may be the culprit, see if it gets better. Do you have quickgold installed? That app destroyed my battery life.

Thanks

^Really, Quickgold did? I have it and it seems to do fine with Quickgold.

My 2G's battery still destroys almost a year after I got it. I literally only need to charge once about every 2.5 days, and this is with a fair amount of internet usage in class and Cydia stuff as well as it never being turned off.

I've been careful since the beginning not to overcharge, but it sounds like that's not your problem considering it fluctuates and doesn't consistently drop. I'd try to uninstall some things and if that doesn't work, a clean restore is always exciting...
    Respect your elders.

Yeah, quickgold caused my phone usage to stay the same as my standby. Took me a long time to figure out that was the cause.

Banned
    Thanks

I had terrible battery life with BossPrefs Installed. Dont know if SB is the same. but ever since I uninstalled it my battery has been Perfect.

But to be honest thats what the warranty and protection plan is for..

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

BossPrefs and Notifier killed my battery. Removed them and now my phone runs great.

Thanks

Notifier yes, because it has a background daemon constantly running. But Bossprefs doesn't run in the background, so there's no continuous battery drain.

Thanks

^Yeah, I would figure that, if anything, BossPrefs should help your battery life considering you can turn off SSH as opposed to having it constantly on.
    Respect your elders.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

SSH isnt really a battery killer. Its a passive connection and only uses resources when someone is connected.

Go into your Cydia and attempt to remove MobileSubstrate and see what apps gets removed with it. These are usually the best places to look for an app that is using your battery life.

Thanks

SSH is a definite battery killer. Whether passive or not, the SSH daemon is always "listening" for a connection to take place, and this places continual wear on the battery.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree. The mobilesubstrate will target apps that will influence your battery life. Keep in mind tough that not all apps that it lists, just before the uninstall, are battery culprits.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    SSH is a definite battery killer. Whether passive or not, the SSH daemon is always "listening" for a connection to take place, and this places continual wear on the battery.
    The SSH daemon is not listening. Well if you are using OPENssh it isn't. It is just added to the list of things that the inetd daemon is listening for. It runs constantly, not OPENssh.

If you are using a different version of SSH then what you said is true.
    Last edited by CaptainChaos; 11-17-2008 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    The SSH daemon is not listening. Well if you are using OPENssh it isn't. It is just added to the list of things that the inetd daemon is listening for. It runs constantly, not OPENssh.

If you are using a different version of SSH then what you said is true.
    Really? So if I remove the OpenSSH daemon from the LaunchDaemons folder, you're saying SSH will still work right? That's good news. So if everything is done through the inet daemon, why do they even use an OpenSSH daemon?

Hmm I uninstalled SBSettings and no luck. However, I did notice my appstore is not longer working (when I try to download an app it says cannot connect to itunes store). Also, when I run to[ in terminal it shows itunes store running, then a process called "Reportcrash" then both go away and come back every few seconds. I think this constant attempt to connect is whats killing my battery. Are there any ideas on how to fix it?

i have all of those mentioned and my battery lasts a day and a half still

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vngsinha View Post
    Hmm I uninstalled SBSettings and no luck. However, I did notice my appstore is not longer working (when I try to download an app it says cannot connect to itunes store). Also, when I run to[ in terminal it shows itunes store running, then a process called "Reportcrash" then both go away and come back every few seconds. I think this constant attempt to connect is whats killing my battery. Are there any ideas on how to fix it?

a restore

Quote Originally Posted by vngsinha View Post
    I know restoring will probably help but that would be my last resort.
    :/

Thanks

i restored and i now have bossprefs and my phones battery is fine. not installing winterboard cured my battery problem for now.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

My phone was having pretty bad battery issues so I reformatted and left winterboard off my 16gb phone as a test. I let the phone run two days without going on the charger and when I put it to sleep last night it had 24% left and woke this morning to 22% left after idling all night. Seems that has solved any battery issues I may have had in the past.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s