Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SMS reads -1 new messages... can't get rid of it

Default SMS reads -1 new messages... can't get rid of it
    I have a jailbroken 1G 8GB iPhone, and my unread SMS badge says "-1" and I cant get it to go away. I tried to respring, and reboot... but no luck... is there anyway to SSH to my phone and change something?

Thanks

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Did you try using another SMS app like "irealSMS" or "BiteSMS" and set them to your default??

The reason I ask is because if you did, and then uninstall those programs and go back to the default SMS app...it will read "missing" txt msgs (ones you did through the other program) and a "-" negative #.

I had this problem and fixed by erasing the entire conversation for the contact that I had used the other app with. Luckily for me, I was just testing another sms app out....and sending txts back and fourth to 2 of my iphones, so it was no biggie for me to delete the conversation.

Yeah, that worked. I found a conversation that had a badge next to it, even though it didn't have any new messages. So I deleted the entire conversation and that got rid of the "-1" problem. Thanks!

I think what happened was that I installed MySMS, tried it out for a day... deleted it, then that problem occurred.

Default any other way to fix this?
    Hi does anybody know any other way to fix this... I tried using 'unread sms fixer' from Cydia and it had the opposite effect... because that is made for when it says you have 1 new messages thats not really new.. it actually made me go from -2 to -4 after running it.

The conversation is an important one and I cannot lose it... anyone have any luck with any other methods?

do you think if I back up my sms.db and then go into it with sqllite and 'fix' it then replace sms.db on the phone with the new sms.db it will work? or will it mess up my who txt database... also once I open it in sqllite how would I go about 'fixing' it... I've opened the database before but I don't recall seeing a column for read/unread... and because it's a negative number how would I fix that if it's technically marked read twice...???? '

Thanks for any help!

---------------------------------
    UPDATE
    ---------------------------------

I was able to fix this problem right on the phone...

as I said in my previous post I had -4 text messages... What I did was uninstall iRealSMS than I reinstalled it and went through all of the conversations that had a negative text message through the entire history including pressing the 'show earlier messages' all the way to the beginning. Then I uninstalled iRealSMS and rebooted springboard and when it came back on I was back to no badge over the SMS icon.

Also, the reason this whole thing happened was because I received txt messages in iRealSMS and the regular SMS didn't recognize them, so during the whole process I had the phone in Flight mode and used WiFi for the install/uninstall... that way I didn't receive anymore text messages while iRealSMS was installed causing further corruption....

my advice - don't use alternative txt programs if you like to keep your history....

Hope this helps anyone having a similar problem....
    Last edited by tsdexter; 02-24-2009 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

^^^the advice is slightly off. just use one sms app. if you dont use the default one...hide it. people hit these errors when they switch between apps or have both active. i have LONG histories in ireal with no issue at all.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I had this problem when a message sent to multpile people via iReal failed to send to one of the people. Just deleted the message and resent it and it fixed itself. Look for some error like that, perhaps that is it.

its just an error with conflicting database information requests. this only happens when you have 2 sms apps pulling from the sms database. its a common error and an easy fix. it use to be really bad with ireal back in the day
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Thanks

before fiddling with anything on your iPhone make sure you have a backup. i just restored my sms.db using iPhone browser.