+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G Confusion

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hmm, well I love my Iphone, but I'm a little bit confused about 3G. Everyday I travel from my home in Waskom, TX (along FM 9/2625), and my connection always
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 3G Confusion
    Hmm, well I love my Iphone, but I'm a little bit confused about 3G. Everyday I travel from my home in Waskom, TX (along FM 9/2625), and my connection always starts out Edge. I have to get all the way to Greenwood before 3G will even kick in. I try to enable 3G through bossprefs, and/or settings, but it always falls back to Edge (until I get to Greenwood). I get it all day while I work in Shreveport, up to 1.2mbps, and I get it aaaaalllll the way back to farm rd 9, and almost to my house. I've gotten up to 1.2mbps almost all the way to my house, but somedays I get nothing at all and it just falls back to Edge. I just don't understand why it works somedays, and why other days it's just dead. Or how I can get it on the way home (which is probably the time most people are on it), but I can't get it in the SAME PLACE in the morning. Can someone explain?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Yep, that's 3G. It's working properly.

You think you are plugged into a wall here? I'd research 3G and understand it more and how it broadcasts and what it is.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Thats normal. If the phone can't get a strong enough signal it will default back to edge. If you're starting out in a strong 3G area and driving away from it your signal will hold on whereas if you start of in a weak area it may take FOREVER for it to switch over to 3G.... just how it works.